The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

SD9 vs G19 vs P95 three way smack down

Hello folks. I'm in the market for a pistol and have several options in front of me right now. I would like a gun that can be carried, but not
Necessarily all the time, since it would be impossible for me to do so anyway. My HD is pretty much covered by my Mossberg 500; but it would nice to have a backup to that / something I could access faster.

One choice is a Glock 19, probably going to cost me $550 or so; another possibility is a S&W SD9, probably going to run me $330 ish plus $25 for an ape trigger kit; the third option is a Ruger P95, which seem to be going for around $350 or so at the moment.

Now, I've heard good and bad about all these guns; the Glock is the most expensive but supposedly the most rugged and reliable and is certainly the most iconic, and as a former candidate for the local police academy I've
Shot Glocks quite a lot, so am the most familiar with them. The con here is that is carries the highest price tag; delaying both the weapon purchase itself as well as actually acquiring a carry license by several months at best.

The Ruger is the least carry friendly of the three and technically the cheapest, like the Glock they are rugged and reliable; intimidating looking too! Though I must say I think I actually the Glock ergos better, but by a slim margin. Also, I am less used to a safety.

Now, the SD9, if I understand it correctly this is basically a copy of the Glock, especially once the trigger is improved. It seems like the best deal on the face of it; but what am I missing with an SD9 nine that I get with a Glock? And that brings me to another question? If the SD is a Glock copy and the M&P is supposed to be a step up from the SD is it also a step up from the Glock? Would it be worth waiting even longer for an M&P?

So TFL, advise me! I've got a couple months of saving before I go ahead with this purchase...
Old March 2, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
JohnMoses

Of the 3, the G19 is head and shoulders above the rest. It has been there done that.
The Smith is bottom of the heap. The crappy Sigma trigger pull has always annoyed me and I wouldn't spend a nickle putting lipstick on that market failure pig.
As to the Ruger, you say intimidating, I say fugly. For concealment purposes, it would be like carrying a brick. But that's what its ergomatics emulate. It is boringly reliable though.
I'll post again when I firm up my opinions.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:41 PM   #3
shootniron

Quote:
Of the 3, the G19 is head and shoulders above the rest. It has been there done that.
The Smith is bottom of the heap. The crappy Sigma trigger pull has always annoyed me and I wouldn't spend a nickle putting lipstick on that market failure pig.
As to the Ruger, you say intimidating, I say fugly. For concealment purposes, it would be like carrying a brick. But that's what its ergomatics emulate. It is boringly reliable though.
I'll post again when I firm up my opinions.
I don't really care for any of the 3, but I would agree with this statement.
Old March 2, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
9mm

Glock 19 hands down, what LEO use.
Old March 2, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
One choice is a Glock 19, probably going to cost me $550 or so; another possibility is a S&W SD9, probably going to run me $330 ish plus $25 for an ape trigger kit; the third option is a Ruger P95, which seem to be going for around $350 or so at the moment.

So TFL, advise me! I've got a couple months of saving before I go ahead with this purchase...
Pick one. It doesn't much matter.

I would go, if possible, in this order: 1) Glock (myriad of accessories), 2) Ruger (solid reputation, last holdout of the Ruger P-series), 3) SD9 (not much to say about it, new product with little history or aftermarket support).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; March 2, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
KO3422

G19 for me. Parts and mags always seemed to be available and at a reasonable price back in the day.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
PeterGunn

Glock 19... Without a doubt.

Not that the other guns you have selected are "bad" but with the wide availability of parts, mags, holsters, aftermarket mods, and the ease of maintenance and repair it's a no brainer... at least for me.

With a simple tool and youtube or even a Glock DVD, most anyone can effect repairs or mods on a Glock. Rugers and S&Ws are a bit tighter with their parts and usually require a trip to the factory or a gunsmith for even simple repairs. For some, this may not be a big deal, but for me it's what takes Glock over the top for me.

PeterGunn
Old March 2, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
elDiabloLoco

If it matters, the P95 is DA/SA.

Glocks are good technology, but the trigger of every one I have fired is not at all to my liking. The SD I tried was worse - longer, heavier, and scratchy. That was with a new , so it may improve with another 1000 rounds or the 30 buck trigger kit.

P95 in DA feels like the SD(i.e. long and mushy), but P95 SA is very good, and similar to my favorite deer rifle. And very similar to the older S&W 6906. But concealing a P95 would be most difficult of the bunch.

So if you LIKED the glocks you fired......choke up the extra 2 bills and find a way to rationalize the cost. I got something I liked and had 250 extra - ain't neva no 550 glocks where i have been.....best I saw when shopping was 599. Cannot believe they have gone down lately.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #9
8MM Mauser

Pick one. It doesn't much matter.

I would go, if possible, in this order: 1) Glock (myriad of accessories), 2) Ruger (solid reputation, last holdout of the Ruger P-series), 3) SD9 (not much to say about it, new product with little history or aftermarket support).
Quote:
Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Glock 19... Without a doubt.

Not that the other guns you have selected are "bad" but with the wide availability of parts, mags, holsters, aftermarket mods, and the ease of maintenance and repair it's a no brainer... at least for me.

With a simple tool and youtube or even a Glock DVD, most anyone can effect repairs or mods on a Glock. Rugers and S&Ws are a bit tighter with their parts and usually require a trip to the factory or a gunsmith for even simple repairs. For some, this may not be a big deal, but for me it's what takes Glock over the top for me.
That is an excellent point and actually something quite important to me that was not in my thinking, posts like this are the reason I come hear to ask for opinions, thank you.

Quote:
If it matters, the P95 is DA/SA.

Glocks are good technology, but the trigger of every one I have fired is not at all to my liking. The SD I tried was worse - longer, heavier, and scratchy. That was with a new , so it may improve with another 1000 rounds or the 30 buck trigger kit.

P95 in DA feels like the SD(i.e. long and mushy), but P95 SA is very good, and similar to my favorite deer rifle. And very similar to the older S&W 6906. But concealing a P95 would be most difficult of the bunch.

So if you LIKED the glocks you fired......choke up the extra 2 bills and find a way to rationalize the cost. I got something I liked and had 250 extra - ain't neva no 550 glocks where i have been.....best I saw when shopping was 599. Cannot believe they have gone down lately.
DA/SA is interesting to me, but I'm not currently familiar with it.

It sounds like it'll probably just be worth it to save longer. I've had terrible luck the last couple years in that every time I've decided to save for a (not .22lr) Pistol I've had to fix this or that on the car or pay this or that unexpected expense. I would of course like to be able to buy before the government starts banning mag sizes, but who knows when/if that coming.

I did like the Glocks I fired just fine, and it seems like a solid platform to build upon. Every time I go back I'm astounded by how long the trigger pull is (which is sort of what attracts me to DA/SA) since all the guns I currently own are Shotguns, Rifles, and single action pistols which all have comparatively awesome triggers.

A glock 19 around here is normally priced around $530 or so, up a little to $550 right now. My grandfather is an FFL though, and I bet if I asked real nice he would get me an even better price.

Thank you all for helping me think through this choice, the world of poly-framed auto's is new to me.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:18 PM   #10
certified106

Re: SD9 vs G19 vs P95 three way smack down

Stay away from the SD9 IMO....... I have had sigmas and I no longer own them for a reason! I have shot G22's, G19's and G23's of those three Glocks I own a G23 and love it! I vote for the Glock.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:37 PM   #11

Ruger, all the way, no blocks
Old March 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
745SW

My vote is for the G19.

In my view the Ruger P95 (4”) is a carryover of the original all metal (aluminum frame) full size (4.5”) P80 series. I believe, correct if in error, Ruger’s first pistols (auto loading handguns). The P series, such as my P89, uses a takedown pin and barrel link similar to that of 1911’s but without a barrel bushing. This eliminates the need for a steel locking block insert found in pistols using an alloy or polymer frame. Locking block inserts are known to break while the link and pin method appears to break substantially less. IMO the reason Glock chose a striker based pistol is the low mass of the polymer receiver would cause the cocking hammer to exert the force of the recoiling slide early to the low mass frame. This would make the pistol more sensitive as to how it is held for it to cycle properly.

While the CS of S&W and Ruger can be said to be among the best Glock has a history of being willing and able to replace the polymer frame. The “able” is perhaps related to their popularity, high volume, and generation compatibility. A gen1 slide and barrel appears will work with a gen3 frame.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:06 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
The P series, such as my P89, uses a takedown pin and barrel link similar to that of 1911’s but without a barrel bushing.
Some do, some do not. They replaced the barrel link with a "cam block" arrangement somewhere in the middle of the series.

Quote:
While the CS of S&W and Ruger can be said to be among the best Glock has a history of being willing and able to replace the polymer frame. The “able” is perhaps related to their popularity, high volume, and generation compatibility.
I've never heard of a broken frame on a polymer P series Ruger.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 3, 2013, 09:12 PM   #14
MercyfulFate

The SD9 is kind of out of place in this group, no?

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 3, 2013, 09:24 PM   #15
chris in va

Quote:
Necessarily all the time, since it would be impossible for me to do so anyway
Curious, why not?
Old March 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

I've had both the Glock and the Ruger, but not the SD9 -- so can;t address that gun.

Of the two, the Glock 19 or the Ruger P95, I'd probaby go with the Glock, but it's not as easy a choice as you might think. Everyone talks about the RUGER being a brick, but if you check measurements you'll see that there's not that much difference between the Glock and Ruger. They just look different, and the Ruger LOOKs clunky. The newer SR9 is a big improvement in that regard. More about the SR9, shortly.

The P95 I had was a tack driver. A local gunsmith worked on the trigger for me, and did improve it -- but said there's not much you can do to make it a lot better. You can make a Glock trigger better pretty inexpensively, but it's still a Glock trigger. (That's not a condemnation, as I have two Glocks right now, and like them both, and have had a number of others over the years.) I traded the P95 away, lured by the siren call of SIGs. (I've since decided that SIGs are OK, but I'm not crazy about them. That said, I've got three, right now.)

I think you should try renting both (or all three) and try them out. It's sometimes costly to rent a gun (if a friend doesn't have one you can try), but it's a lot cheaper than buying a gun you later despise.

I'd also give some thought to the Ruger SR9 or SR9c -- I have an SR9 with a Ghost trigger kit installed, and it's really impressive. I think it does everything the Glock does, at least as well, and is smaller. The SR9c may be my next purchase or swap. Why go the P95 route when a newer, arguably better technology is available from the same company, and the price won't be that different!!

The only thing Glock does that the Ruger hasn't done, is build a gun with a lot fewer parts... (I think there are almost as many parts in the SR9/SR9c Ruger's fire control assembly as in the entire Glock pistol.) Detail stripping a Glock is, of course a LOT easier -- and there are a lot of handbooks and manuals that make it even easier.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 3, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:40 PM   #17
745SW

“I've never heard of a broken frame on a polymer P series Ruger.”

Assuming the polymer Ruger’s came out around the time the P89 was discontinued, around 2008, the polymer Ruger’s are comparatively late models. Some Glock’s that have been serviced go back toward the early 90’s.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Laz

Quote:
Assuming the polymer Ruger’s came out around the time the P89 was discontinued, around 2008, the polymer Ruger’s are comparatively late models.
Not so. The first polymer P-Series was and is also the last. The P95 was named after the year of its introduction - Ta Da - 1995. The .45 caliber P97 came along in 1997. Now you may be right considering the SR series, I'm not sure.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:04 AM   #19
LockedBreech

All three guns listed are respectable firearms. None of the three are junk.

That said, the G19 is profoundly better, and a few years from now you'll be very happy you spent a little more coin.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS
Old March 4, 2013, 03:21 AM   #20
Tickling

Or you could spend a little less coin and still be happy, look into the Ruger SR-9.

Of those three, I'd recommend the Glock 19 or Ruger P-95, whichever fits you best. If you can't conceal it, I really don't see the point of the Glock 19, as opposed to the Glock 17, but I'm sure you have your reasons.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #21

Rumble in the Jungle. Why would the Block be better? Better at what? I've owned a couple P95s both utterly reliable and very accurate. More Accurate than I can shoot. As a matter of fact I'm looking for one right now. I would recommend the Kp-95D the Stainless decocker only model.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:35 AM   #22
745SW

“Not so. The first polymer P-Series was and is also the last. The P95 was named after the year of its introduction - Ta Da - 1995. The .45 caliber P97 came along in 1997. Now you may be right considering the SR series, I'm not sure.”

My goof, I should think more before posting.

“I've never heard of a broken frame on a polymer P series Ruger.”

I never seen or heard of frames cracking or barrels breaking on the alloy framed Walther P5 until fairly recently. Not really bad considering the pistol was developed by 1977 and available here since the early eighties or so. Cracked framed P5’s are those of the Dutch police using heavy A3 and Action Effect ammunition.

“Some do, some do not. They replaced the barrel link with a "cam block" arrangement somewhere in the middle of the series.”

The P95 appears to use the cam block you speak of and the takedown pin appears to anchor the locking block that is integrated with the recoil spring guide. Interesting change and wondering whether it’s related to the frame material change.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:53 PM   #23
Laz

Quote:
Interesting change and wondering whether it’s related to the frame material change.
I believe you are correct in that assumption if I remember correctly articles written when the P95 was introduced. The variation of Dow Isoplast polymer used for the frame is exceedingly tough stuff (even used to make gear wheels in certain industrial applications), but the cam block was introduced to reduce or even out stress and impact forces on the polymer frame. Or, so I remember reading.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:24 PM   #24
745SW

“Rumble in the Jungle. Why would the Block be better? Better at what? I've owned a couple P95s both utterly reliable and very accurate.”

I assume you mean the locking block method with bushingless barrel. This method of lockup from JMB’s Hi-Power, I feel, to have some outstanding elements. In my view it’s a self-compensating design in terms of wear and debris compared to the link, pin and bushing method of the 1911.

The P95 appears to be an outstanding value and I’m sure in the right hands it will excel. I prefer a pistol that will function under adverse conditions like being fatigued with an improper hold in the remote chance of a SD situation.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:38 AM   #25
presspics

I'm not understanding the hatred toward the S&W SD9. Seems to be some carry over opinions treating the SD as if it were the same gun as the SIGMA series. It's not. The SD Series are fantastic guns at a very reasonable price. I've owned just about every gun that is made at one time or another. My preferred 9mm is a Browning High Power. Given the 3 choices above I would rate them all pretty equally. The Glock 19 is a great gun and has lots of aftermarket parts support if you are into customizing your gun. The S&W SD pistols use the same sights as the M&P series so you have plenty of choices there. APEX also makes a great trigger kit for the S&W SD. I have that kit in my SD40 and it works beautifully. The Ruger probably has the least aftermarket support..

I've owned many Glocks over the years. They are good guns but the grip design and grip angle suck. The S&W SD9 is very similar to the Glock but with a much better grip. Try all 3 if you can and choose on which one you like the best. They are all equally good guns and you won't be disappointed no matter which one you choose.