The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 9, 2013, 05:17 AM   #1
ChaseReynolds

Detachable Box Magazine for Rem 700 .308

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS and have been looking at the detachable box magazine. The only one I was able to find was from a sketchy website and they wanted $250. Since I was unable to find anymore I wasn't sure if it was a good price or not.

Does anyone have this change on their Remy 700? How easy is it to install and can I find them for less than $250?
Old April 9, 2013, 06:10 AM   #2
mxsailor803

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/350...aluminum-black

This the kind of setup you were talking about? Doesn't look flimsy to me. Look around on Midwayusa and Natchezss. They have a lot of 700 parts.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Saltydog235

I put the Wyatt's in my latest assembly. It isn't flimsy or hokey at all, very solid, well made unit and costs a good bit less than the Badger. They drop right in to the Bell and Carlson stocks which are a must have upgrade over the crappy factory stock that comes on the SPS.

Stockystocks.com is cheaper or was than Midway.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Scorch

Wyatt's is good, Badger is very good, AI and Surgeon units are very very good. The primary difference between these units is the quality of the main assembly itself, and whether the parts are cast or machined. For most intents and purposes, the Wyatts will work just as well. And yes, they can be pricey, but it's your toy.
Taylor Machine
Old April 9, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
ChaseReynolds

Salty dog, how hard is it to change stocks?
Old April 10, 2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Saltydog235

An Allen wrench and two bolts. Takes you about a minute if you've done it before and up to 90 seconds if you haven't.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:34 AM   #7
ChaseReynolds

And you didn't notice any sort of difference in shooting? The most that I have ever done to a weapon besides shoot it is add a side saddle to my Remington 870.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Saltydog235

If anything they shot better. You can get a good many options in a stock for a 700. The B&C are a good value, have a bedding block and are about 20X stiffer than the factory SPS. The Wyatt was made for the B&C Medalist stocks and just drops right in.
Old April 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Dan Newberry

Not to be a wet blanket... but I must mention that 3 out 4 of the DBM's we see at our matches and clinics malfunction regularly... I see folks fidgeting with getting the cartridges to feed, losing time, dropping shells... having to remove the mag and re-seat it... and this is unfortunately the norm--not the exception.

So the design, construction, and installation of these type magazines is critical to good function.

Dan
Old April 13, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
WWWJD

Nobody's mentioned CDI Precision yet; I went with theirs for my SPS. Takes AICS mags, and works beautifully. I sent my stock (B&C Medalist Tactical) to them for inletting; got it back in a few weeks.

NRA fo Life Member
Old April 16, 2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Kochman

To save $200+, rather than get the detachable mag, why not get the mag extender?
It gives you a few more rounds (bringing you up to 7), costs $20, and I believe it is ejectable... rather than carrying around extra mags for a bolt action.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:41 AM   #12
jmr40

I wouldn't recommend the mag extender. I had a broken floorplate on a Vanguard. Thought I'd save a few bucks over ordering from Weatherby and add a little mag capacity at the same time. The mag would feed the 1st 2 rounds from a full magazine, but that was it. They are junk in my opinion. I took it off and ordered another floorplate from Weatherby.

Converting to a DBM on a bolt rifle is not economically practical to me. It can be done, but at great expense. I'd keep it as is, or trade for a rifle that had the magazine I wanted.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Kochman

Looking at the reviews of the product, it seems your experience was less common...
This is for the R700 we're talking about.