The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 21, 2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Patriot86

Quote:
Compression and decompression wear the spring - not prolonged compression
This!
As long as the spring doesn't rust and you store it properly, no reason a Magazine fully loaded today won't work in 25 years.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:54 PM   #27
James K
Staff

A properly made spring is not going to go soft from being compressed, once or a thousand times. (How many times do the valve springs in your car get compressed driving to the grocery store? How many times have you replaced them to prevent flattening?)

As to guys with stripes and hashmarks knowing guns, we were told in basic training that the ammunition we were using (M2 Ball) was for training, and that "black bullets" (AP) were for combat. True, to a point. Then the instructor informed us wide-eyed 'cruits that training ammo was only powerful enough to penetrate the paper target and that it fell to the ground right behind the target. In the interests of not getting in trouble, I did not suggest he stand behind the target and confirm that.

Jim
Old April 23, 2013, 06:46 PM   #28
dcludwig

Quote:
A properly made spring is not going to go soft from being compressed, once or a thousand times. (How many times do the valve springs in your car get compressed driving to the grocery store? How many times have you replaced them to prevent flattening?)

As to guys with stripes and hashmarks knowing guns, we were told in basic training that the ammunition we were using (M2 Ball) was for training, and that "black bullets" (AP) were for combat. True, to a point. Then the instructor informed us wide-eyed 'cruits that training ammo was only powerful enough to penetrate the paper target and that it fell to the ground right behind the target. In the interests of not getting in trouble, I did not suggest he stand behind the target and confirm that.

Jim
Had to chuckle at this. I remember the first time a DI showed us the M16 he was adamant about how low the recoil was. He demonstrated by placing the butt firmly against his manly parts and fired it. I was impressed, but had no desire to duplicate the demonstration.

The valve spring on a car is an excellent analogy. But those who are convinced otherwise are usually firmly entrenched in that belief. I say to them do what makes you feel safe, you'll sleep better. It's much like the discussion about the Hillary hole on my S&W 642. I firmly believed that the internal lock would not fail. Yep, was certain of that. But.... I eventually "fixed" the problem and slept just a little better. Not so with the magazines. I keep mine fully loaded and I sleep just fine.
Old April 24, 2013, 05:49 PM   #29
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better a lot has changed over the years. It really depends on where you are and what you do for a living.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Powderman

Actually, downloading the magazines DID have some merit, but it was not for the benefit of the magazine.

Very frequently, users of the AR platform do NOT charge the weapon correctly. I've seen people ride the charging handle forward plenty of times. If the magazines are topped off, there is a lot of spring tension on those two top rounds. It takes a strong, healthy push from that bolt to strip the round out of the mag and then feed it.

Now, when the magazine is downloaded by two rounds, the spring tension is loosened a bit, just enough to permit smooth cycling. I don't believe that PMags have many problems of this nature, because of the inherent lubricity of the polymer used. But it still does happen, especially if the action spring has lost some of its ginger.
Old April 25, 2013, 05:02 AM   #31
PawPaw

Quote:
Leaving an AR magazine loaded will damage it..RIGHT
Two years ago I was heading to an annual qualification and was gathering gear. In the bottom of an old bag, I found two AR mags that were loaded, so I started looking at the bag and the magazines trying to remember when I had loaded those magazines. After several minutes it came to me: Desert Storm. I had been tasked with bringing several racks of M16s from our Demob point to our home armory and had loaded two magazines for the trip. After getting the rifles into the arms room, I had dropped the magazines in the bag and had forgotten about them for 20 years.

I figured "what the hell" and took them to the qualification and used them to qualify. When it came time to get on the line, I put one of those mags in the well and when the target turned, I went to work. No problems, qualified easily with 20 year old ammo and magazines that had been loaded for 20 years.

I'm pretty sure that leaving an AR magazine loaded for 20 years doesn't hurt anything. One anecdote doesn't make data, but I've never worried about magazines. When they break, they break.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com