The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2013, 05:58 AM   #1
bk688

Home Improvement~7.62x54r

Ok, I really hope my childhood watching Tim Allen grunting about more power as he electrocuted himself got some attention.

Along that lines, I'm looking for a 7.62x54r load that I can squeeze as much velocity and accuracy as possible out of. I know the two don't always go together, but that's besides the point.

If I can get a load that's ABOVE 160 grans traveling around 3000 fps, while holding 1.5 MOA (less is better but nothings perfect) I would be ecstatic.

I have a SOLID mosin nagant, so a 28 inch barrel leaves plenty of room for powder to burn. It has the best barrel I've ever seen on a mosin, so I'm pretty confidant it will hold up to the maximum pressure rating of the 7.62x54r, so feel free to get close to that with your suggestions!

Thanks guys!
Old April 4, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
mxsailor803

I'm not near any of my manuals but that sounds a little too hot to me. I think that the pressure would just be way high. Maybe someone already has some load data for it.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
RedBowTies88

Why do you need the velocity? I think for long range accuracy you would be better served by heavier pills...
Old April 4, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
JD0x0

That velocity does not sound extremely reasonable with that case. Besides the older M91/30 Nagants with the longer barrels tend to be the more fragile Nagant's. I've heard to not even use current production 7.62x54R in them because pressure is too high. I can't speak for your rifle but I'd be concerned. The updated Nagant carbines can handle slightly more pressure I believe, enough to safely fire current production ammo.
I'd guestimate that you could push a heavy-ish 181 grain to a MV of around 2800fps if you're lucky.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Bamashooter

Ive shot plenty of current production ammo in my mosin's without any issues. My 1929 Hex reciever 91/30 is alot of things but one of them isnt fragile. With the right combo you might get 3000fps but that doesnt mean it will be more accurate.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:46 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I have several Mosin Nagant rifles. I shoot current production ammo out of them all the time. It is cheaper than buying Norma Brass. I keep the brass for reloading with.

The closest thing I see listed is a load listed by Hodgdaon for a 150 grain bullet at a max load with H4895 at 2938 FPS with a pressure of 46,300 CUP. Note it is also a compressed load. If you want the recipe it should be on the Hodgdon site.

The only 3K FPS loads I see listed use a 110 grain bullet. VV list a 123 grain bullet at 3229 using N135.

150 to 170 grain bullets tend to max pressure out in the 2500 to 2700 FPS range for most powders depending on more variables than I have time, and knowledge to list.

Just do everyone, and yourself a favor. Keep in the published load range, and start at the starting load, and work up carefuly watching for pressure signs.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Newton24b

no offense, but unless your new production ammunition is loaded by norma, lapua, sellier belloit, or the russian army it is not to full russian pressure spec.

the mosin rifle has been loaded to many different pressure levels based upon what bullet was used, but they were all designed to take more then the military pressure. why/ because the russian government realized that ammo factories were creating ammunition that was too high pressure at times.

ive even seen online accounts of the RIFLES using the higher pressure air craft machine gun ammo CASES at a time with no issues. even seen reports of people putting whole boxes of PROOF LOADS through with no issue other then extraction