The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2013, 06:47 PM   #1
arch308

G30 Let Down

Let me preface to say I am a long time Glock fan. I own and have owned many thru the years and have never been dissappointed with one. That being said, I recently purchased a used G30. Found it on line and got a good price on it. After dissassembling and cleaning it I took it to the range today for a test run. What a jamomatic! I've read about "limp wristing" but have never expierenced it til now. At first I couldn't get thru one mag without a stovepipe. I must admit I shoot with my elbows bent, not locked. It has never caused a problem til now. Once I locked my elbows to stiffen the stance the gun worked fine, other than the fact that the empties were landing on my head.
I will sell this gun to a friend of mine at work who really wants it ASAP. I have no use for a finnicky SD gun!
Old April 10, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Did you use more than one magazine?

Could be a weak mag spring, or recoil spring. If you like the size, it might be worth the couple of bucks to replace a couple of springs before moving it along.

Now, go figure...
Old April 10, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
lyodbraun

Sounds like a easy change of the RSA, and maybe mag springs ?? how many rounds does it have thru it from the previous owner?? hopefully you tell the guy who buys it whats going on with it and to get a few new parts...
Old April 10, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Constantine

When I buy a used gun, I ALWAYS change all the springs.

I wish you had done the same before creating this post. Cause the Glock haters will just read the first post and respond negatively. Even if you follow up with a factual issue being the recoil spring.

All my Glocks have been flawless. Gen 3 and down.

Only have one gen4 and I gave up on it quick cause I was antsy.

Change spring out. It's dollars and you can do it yourself.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 10, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
arch308

The gun and mags are like new and yes I gave a full range report to my buddy. He still wants it. I don't believe it is defective, just doesn't work well for me. It does if I change my stance, or how I hold the gun. That is lock my elbows. I just don't want a gun that is so picky.

Edit to add: I hate to give fuel to the Glock bashers. I've never had this problem with Glocks before and have argued against the "limp wrist" theories. My G36, which is pretty much the same size, works perfectly for me.

Last edited by arch308; April 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Limp wristing causing the stovepipes is something that may be a problem to you personally and i understand anyone who doesn't want the model/s (i have managed this only with the 19) that does this.

However, the only way i could create this in the g19 was through the weakest grip possible. Maybe there is something else going on that the other posters may have refereed to.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:15 AM   #7

What else is out there ( other than Taurus) that holds 10 in a compact 45 ?
Old April 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Constantine

all in fun:

Quote:
The ever so picky compact 1911 with an extended mag!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 12, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

PT -145 is a formative option to a 30.

But you did say no taurus....so your loss.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Noreaster

Sorry to hear. Did you have someone else try it to see if it's a gun issue and not you? I was shooting with a couple of guys last year and their dept. issued P220s kept jamming. There was an armorer there and he replaced their recoil springs, (apparently long over due,) and the guns ran fine the rest of the day.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
arch308

Like I said, the problem occurs when I shoot with my elbows slightly bent( this helps my old eyes focus on the sights). I believe this causes a limp wristing effect. The gun runs fine when I straighten my elbows, even one handed with a straight elbow. I only started this post out of shock at the troubles.
For me, I don't want a SD weapon that has to be held a certain way in order to function properly. I have too many other 45s that work perfectly for me and the G30 is not my idea of a range toy. My buddy is taking it to his hunting lease this weekend for a test run before he buys it.
Thanks guys for your ideas & help. I don't think it's the gun, it's me.

Last edited by arch308; April 12, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Vireye

Seems odd to me...I've had my Glock 30 for over a year now and never had an issue. I've shot it, as well as many friends of mine (several first time shooters, male, female, etc) with no problems, one-handed, two-handed, etc.

Obviously YMMV, but seems a shame to give up on a weapon that I consider the epitome of "Glock Perfection" in a concealable package.

...and all this from a guy who prefers Sigs!
Old April 13, 2013, 12:31 PM   #13
amd6547

Some G30's had issues with the trigger bar having a dimple which caused drag on the slide and caused jams.
A search on glocktalk will tell you how to check if yours has the bad part.
The G30 I owned was faultless, and very accurate. I shot it as well as a full sized semi custom 1911.
I sold it last year, as I am reducing the number of calibers I own. I do still own Glock, though. That G30 made me a believer.
Old April 13, 2013, 07:24 PM   #14

That's a reality that can be attributable to the flexing of the polymer frame. Newer designs have done away with that in large part from copying the SIG/Sauer chamber-block design that also incorporates the forward rails that are much longer and heavier than the Glocks, for which I'll now be accused of bashing Glock's, while the truth is, there are now designs that have improved greatly in this area.

Sell the G30 and buy the XDm 3.8 Compact in .45 ACP that's trimmer, or save your money and wait for the Ruger SR45c that will be as trim as a compact 1911 and that shouldn't be far away. Both pistols use the S/S chamber-block design with stronger and much longer forward rails. I don't have the Compact, but I do have the full size XDm in .45 ACP that would be more difficult to limp-wrist and I have never had any reliability issues. I also own a Ruger SR9 and will soon be adding the SR45.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Constantine

G30 Let Down

Eh...XD? .-.

Did you change out the springs yet?

If not I understand. A gun that freaks out like that, regardless the issue I find it hard to trust again. Unless I fix it, put 500rds down range and it survives training. Then I will. But who has the money to blow on ammo right now or who can even find ammo right now.

So...OP, maybe just sell it to your friend and pocket the money on ammo or something. You already have a really awesome G36 and I don't know what the heck the precious owner might have done to that G30. I'm still thinking its a recoil spring issue but I understand you weariness now.

Train with the G36. Why did you move away from it anyways and what's on your hip as you read this right now?
Old April 14, 2013, 07:16 AM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Why do you need 10? My one and only excursion into the glock world was a 30. Traded it off soon after for a 1911.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:35 AM   #17
Constantine

G30 Let Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen View Post
Why do you need 10? My one and only excursion into the glock world was a 30. Traded it off soon after for a 1911.
The problem with that in a self defense perspective. Is a totally different weapon that shoots the same bullet. Meaning, under stress now. You have to worry about disengaging the safety. Whole different code of arms.

I love my 1911's. but they're range guns / offensive guns. Not defensive.

This is my view on them and that trade off.

If you trained with yours and under stress you can be on the money. Good for you. I'll stick to the simplicity of draw and fire.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:34 AM   #18
arch308

Constatine,
I only bought the G30 on a whim, being a good deal and all. An extra 4 rounds can't hurt. It came with both the stock recoil spring and an a/market stainless steel spring assy. Changing them out made no difference.
I think I'll just stick with either my G36 or G19 as they both function 100% for me.
57K,
No offense but I'm not interested in an XD. The only gun I can handle with a grip safety is a 1911.
My buddy borrowed the G30 this weekend for a test shoot before he buys, if he can find some ammo. I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks again.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Constantine

O_O didn't know you had a Glock 19. What's the matter with you? stick with that!

Good stuff man...hope he gets it from you then. Also, I'm on the same page with you and the XD grip safety statement.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:53 AM   #20
greyeyezz

You buddy can call Glock if he has issues and they will send a recoil spring for free of charge.
Old April 14, 2013, 02:09 PM   #21
BuckRub

Send the gun back to Glock and let them change what needs to be changed and problem fixed.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:24 PM   #22
DATL

This is the problem im always worried about when i think about buying used guns online....especially those at a "really good price". It sounds like that Glock has been rode hard and put up wet lol.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:40 PM   #23
BuckRub

I wouldn't be concerned.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch308
57K,
No offense but I'm not interested in an XD. The only gun I can handle with a grip safety is a 1911.
My buddy borrowed the G30 this weekend for a test shoot before he buys, if he can find some ammo. I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks again.
No offense taken. If an SR45c was available, that's what I'd recommend, anyway. The SR45 is as thin or thinner than a 1911 while still having 10 round mag. capacity. Anyone that carries a Commander could just as easily carry an SR45. No grip safety and more bang for the buck compared to any polymer framed pistol on the market, IMO.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Wreck-n-Crew

It seemed first to be a normal limp wrist issue, but your latter statements, including the G19 being fine lead me to believe as well that something more is going on.

After all I can attest to the G17 and the G19 doing it (G19 more easily so) but with a real relaxed grip.

Either way good luck hope post a pic your new sexy gun (if you get it)