The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 01:53 PM   #26
bikerbill

Wife and I were traveling to Wisconsin through Arkansas, got pulled over by a state officer ... told me my right front wheel had strayed over the shoulder white line .. I told him I had a Texas license and was armed ... told him where the gun was (concealed in a deep door pocket) ... he frisked me (thought that was a bit much) but then the capper ... invited me into his cruiser and we chatted about the weapon I was carrying (a Kahr PM9), how I liked it, how it might serve as a BU for police ... gave me a warning and away we went ... my wife was a bit perturbed, wondering if I was being arrested for secretly being a gangster, but it was all good ... only the second time I've been stopped in 10 years of licensed carry, the other went just as well ...
Old April 11, 2013, 02:11 PM   #27
orangello

Most of the Memphis Police I met when I lived there were very professional; Shelby County SD...well, they seemed to be trying hard at least.

Was thinking "dang I miss High Point coffee house" then I realized it went out of business without me to eat all the chocolate-covered coffee beans.

Last edited by orangello; April 12, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:09 PM   #28
craZivn

I only had one request to show my CCL since I obtained it, and that was because the state trooper saw a live .50 BMG round on the backseat floor and asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle. Turns out some jerk had called me in for "driving erratically" and the cop pulled me over to see if I was drunk.

So when I handed him my CCL he just asked what kind of weapon I had and where it was, and if I'd been drinking that night. Then he said that he had no reason to believe I was under the influence, no reason to get me out of the vehicle, and to drive safe and have a nice night. Very professional and non-invasive.

If I may, I'd like to go slightly off-topic and post my favorite traffic stop vid. I have a camera on my dash and record every time I'm pulled over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwi3EDA7Is

Ivan
Old April 12, 2013, 03:24 PM   #29
jib

Several local police forces train at out local range. They are almost all friendly and nice, especially to my son, who shoots up to 600 meters with an AR. It's fun watching the SWAT teams take over a range. I do have one problem with all of them though. They do pick up their brass.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #30
fireman1291

Yup. Some LEO's "get it"....it's the ones that don't that you have to worry about blowing things out of proportion.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:23 PM   #31
SauerGrapes

My best experience with a LEO was when he left me alone. I doubt I'll ever have your type of encounter around here. At best we agree to coexist.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 12, 2013, 07:52 PM   #32
Bob Wright

SauerGrapes said:
Quote:
My best experience with a LEO was when he left me alone. I doubt I'll ever have your type of encounter around here. At best we agree to coexist.
Remember, I approached them first. The Memphis Police Department has had a rash of "bad apples" lately, with officers being fired, reprimanded, and even facing charges. And there has been a number of police shootings that, while justified, has raised the hackles of many citizens of this city. I'm sure that has played havoc with the morale of those officers who live up to their oath.

I carry a plasticized card to give to officers that says "Thanks for you service" over the American flag. On the back is the 23rd. Psalm and the name and address of my church. I don't preach to them, just hand them that card and say that is my way of saying "thanks."
I like to think I can do something to make a difference.

Bob Wright
Old April 12, 2013, 10:29 PM   #33
scrubcedar

Bob, that card sounds like an incredible idea. Where do you get them?
Old April 13, 2013, 05:16 AM   #34
rebs

I shoot at a private club and we have quite a few LEO's and retired LEO's that are also members, they are all good, friendly and down to earth guys. I have had many good times shooting with them.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:02 AM   #35
Bob Wright

Scrubcedar asketh:
Quote:
Bob, that card sounds like an incredible idea. Where do you get them?
I get them through my church. If interested, I'll get the info for you.

Bob Wright
Old April 13, 2013, 09:06 AM   #36
WC145

Quote:
Several local police forces train at out local range. They are almost all friendly and nice, especially to my son, who shoots up to 600 meters with an AR. It's fun watching the SWAT teams take over a range. I do have one problem with all of them though. They do pick up their brass.
We'll be doing two days of qualifying and training in a couple of weeks, when we do it's boom time for the guys at the range that reload because we don't pick up our brass. There will be several thousand .45acp and 5.56 empties out there for the taking.

Quote:
I carry a plasticized card to give to officers that says "Thanks for you service" over the American flag. On the back is the 23rd. Psalm and the name and address of my church. I don't preach to them, just hand them that card and say that is my way of saying "thanks."
I like to think I can do something to make a difference.
That's a very nice gesture.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”