The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 29, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
j-shew

4x4 BOLT ACTION Mossberg Arms

I need some input I am looking at 4x4 BOLT ACTION Mossberg in 7MM REM MAG. Does anyone know anything bad or good on this rifle or another 7MM REM MAG I should look at.

Thanks

Jason
Old March 29, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2
handlerer2

From all that I have read and heard, they are a serviceable entry level hunting tool, in the same category as the Marlin XS/XL, Ruger American, Savage Axis, and Howa- Vanguard, and Thompson Venture as well. I don't know about accessories. But I haven't read much bad about them and heard that they are satisfactorily accurate. 7Mag will get it done on just about anything I might need it for. It was the first magnum rifle I reloaded for back in 1976. 7mag does stretch brass worse than anything else I have reloaded for though.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
j-shew

would MODEL 11/111 TROPHY HUNTER XP Savage Arms in 7mm rem mag be better
Old March 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
natman

The Mossberg is an OK rifle, but the Marlin X7, the Ruger American and the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard are all better made at similar prices. I don't know if they are all available in 7mm Magnum though.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:22 PM   #5
jmr40

There are many better choices at about the same price. Look at Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700 ADL, Marlin XL-7 to name a few.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
COHotspur

Hello all, first time poster here. Glad to be part of the Firing Line. As far as the Mossberg goes...

I recently purchased one of the Mossberg 4x4s in 7RM and have been very pleased with it. I have not had a chance to to take it hunting, but it shoots very well at the range and is easy to maintain. It's very light, even with a scope mounted and a full magazine. The weight was actually one of the determining factors in my purchase; I figured if I was going to be lugging the rifle around for 3-4 day hunting trips, I didn't want something that weighed a ton.

The bolt action works well, and the trigger is light and crisp; actually, I feel the trigger is the rifle's best feature. The cheek rest is in a good position, and the factory recoil pad is nice. It will reliably fire any ammunition that is loaded; I've not had any misfires in the time I've owned it. The only downside, for me, is that the scope seems to mount a little high on its bases.

In all honesty, I did look at some of the other rifles that the senior members in this thread suggested you look at, and I recommend you look at some other rifles before you commit.

I came very close to going with the Weatherby Vanguard, but it costs quite a bit more. I suppose my view may be somewhat utilitarian, but I didn't want to pay $$$ for a rifle I'd be afraid of getting dinged up and scratched, so the Mossberg won out.

Hope this helps!
Old April 5, 2013, 05:37 AM   #7
tamezacdc

4x4 BOLT ACTION Mossberg Arms

I have one in 270 win. I reload 130 TTSX. Shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Rl 19. 59gr.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:53 AM   #8
ATPBULLETS

i have one in 270 as well... shoots great.... the trigger is the best in the price group.. still workig up reloads for it.... Not there yet(1MOA)
Old April 7, 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
hooligan1

j-shew, the model 11-111 trophy hunter is a fine rifle, and in this category of rifles it's around the best. Why the 7mm rem mag?
I have a 111 in 30-06 w/ detachable magazine, jury's still out how long I go before I loose that magazine.... That's my only fault I find with the Savage line, everything else is really respectable..
Old April 8, 2013, 09:02 PM   #10
reynolds357

Handler, the 4X4 is not even remotely in the class of the Vanguard. The Vanguard definitely stands head and shoulders above the rest it was named with. The American is out of the question because it is not yet being made in 7mag.