The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
This is why they can also be used at shooting ranges, where use of jacketed bullets is prohibited.
Never had a problem using jacketed bullets at a range, indoor or out. Nor lead. Have had problems using STEEL cases or bullets -- as they're generally not allowed in most indoor ranges (which recover lead for resale and don't want to sort through non-brass cases.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:56 AM   #27
45_auto

Quote:
As I said earlier, in this respect, I can only imagine the weak link in the operation is the brass.
The brass is probably the strongest link in the operation. You can reload handgun brass literally hundreds of times. It's not unusual to see handgun brass that has been reloaded so many times that the headstamp is worn off.

The weak link in the operation is quality control.

A case with a double charge of powder or no powder will easily cause the destruction of your gun.

A reputable reloading company that complies with industry quality standards will produce ammo indistinguishable from new.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:33 AM   #28
James K
Staff

No doubt the large "remanufacturing" companies turn out quality ammo. But there are plenty of smaller outfits whose quality control seems to be non-existent. The legal requirement is only that anyone loading/reloading ammunition for sale must have a federal license, but that involves simply filling out a form and writing a check. There is no law imposing any standards, requiring any level of quality control, or requiring any expertise in reloading. Any damage from improperly loaded ammunition would be the subject of a civil law suit, not criminal action.

The result is that reloads are sold at gun shows, sometimes in plastic bags, with no indication of who loaded them; the seller will disappear when the show closes. And of course, the gun owner himself, or a relative or friend, might reload, again with no quality control.

Given those facts, it seems to me very prudent and sensible for a gun manufacturer to disclaim any and all responsibility for damage to the gun when reloads are used.

Jim
Old April 10, 2013, 01:53 PM   #29
dajowi

I am so happy that I reload my own ammunition and don't have to depend on
remanufactured ammo. Every piece of brass, every bullet, every operation is under my supervision. At about about $6 a box for 9mm.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:15 AM   #30
okiewita40

The dept. I work for uses remanufactured ammo for our qualification. It eithers comes from BVAC or the hunting shack. I have only seen 1 sqib load in 13 years.