The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1
ttarp

Pocket Hammerless

I'd had a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless on my to buy list for quite a while, I was looking more for a .380 than the .32, but when this showed up at the pawn shop I jumped at the opportunity.

I've only been able to shoot it once, but I was pleasantly surprised at how soft shooting it was, more recoil than a .22 for sure, but quite fun to shoot. On top of that as poor a shot I usually am, I did fairly well with it. Only thing that really bothers me about it is finding .32 ammo and how expensive it is.

I know .32 isn't perhaps a good choice for carry purposes, but do any of you carry a 1903? If so, what kind of holster would work with the Colt?

Finally, I don't like threads without pictures, so here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1566.JPG (96.1 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1567.JPG (90.8 KB, 108 views)
Old April 5, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Groundhog34

A classic pistol but not one to carry for several reasons: weak caliber, unsafe to carry loaded, old design lacks reliability, ammo expensive and not readily available. get yourself a Glock 27 of Springfield XDs.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Quincunx

I'd have to politely disagree with the above assessment of the 1903. My father's (made in 1915) has digested all manner of .32 Auto rounds (including the 60-grain Silvertips) with nary a malfunction, and is quite safe for carry if secured in a proper holster and not just slapped in a pocket. I'm not aware that the price/availability of .32 Auto ammunition is wildly disproportionate to that of the majority of other rounds these days. As for the power of the round, well, it's certainly no 9mm +P. OTOH, if one is recoil-averse, one may be better defended with a .32 Auto that one shoots with great accuracy rather than a 9mm or .45 that one shoots less well.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:54 PM   #4
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog34

A classic pistol but not one to carry for several reasons: weak caliber, unsafe to carry loaded, old design lacks reliability, ammo expensive and not readily available
Sounds like elitist Bull-Pukey

Euro Police used to regularly carry the .32ACP/7.65mm, and it'll work just fine if the shots are kept dead center.

I've got a .32ACP I carry often, just because it's smaller/lighter than my .45ACP 1911.

The Colt 1903/1908 isn't any less or more reliable than any other autoloader - just clean & lube it, check it out, and carry a good SD ammo, like Grizzly Self-Defense, in it.

I check out zero & function with the premium ammo, but practice with FMJ's, to keep the cost down a bit.

Old April 5, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

I agree. Great gun. I WOULD recommend buying and installing a set of replacement grips, and putting the originals away.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:28 PM   #6
jrothWA

During WWII the OSS carried the Colt Model M,...

and the majority preferred the .32ACP for better accuracy and fast follow-up
shots.

Does that have a bushing for the barrel? Then its a first series, with a 4"(?) barrel. Subsequent barrels were 3 - 3/4" but the extractors varied.

Reference the egunparts catalog, for followup information.

Also, locate the NRA disassembly handbook for pistols & revolvers, that article indicated that swapping the barrel and magazine between the .32ACP & the .380ACP.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
ttarp

Where would you suggest finding replacement grips? Also are there any aftermarket magazines made for these, I haven't been able to find any. It doesn't have the separate barrel bushing, the S/N puts it in 1914. I was thinking about getting it refinished, any thoughts on that?
Old April 6, 2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Quincunx

Check out grips4u.net, as they have some nice-looking grips. Also not uncommon on eBay and gunbroker. The magazines, even the reproduction ones, are somewhat expensive, but again not super-difficult to find.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:16 AM   #9
9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog34

A classic pistol but not one to carry for several reasons: weak caliber, unsafe to carry loaded, old design lacks reliability, ammo expensive and not readily available
+2

Carrying a 100+ year old gun is not smart, not up to date on safety standard and old parts. They are made for the range or collecting. If you want a 32 buy a kel-tec.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Sharpsdressed Man

^^^BAH! Carry a classic if the mood strikes you. If you get into a gunfight, yeah, you could get killed, but wouldn't you want to go in style? ................................................. [IMG][/IMG]........................And yes, my gun is 100 years old this year!
Old April 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #11
richardcorey

100 year-old gun not safe, not smart??? Colt 1911A1. Nuff Said.
LISTEN!!!
Old April 6, 2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Frasier

I wished that they still made this model
Old April 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Sharpsdressed Man

The 1911A1 version didn't arrive until 1924.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:53 PM   #14
PT-92

IMO any gun that is mechanically reliable (gunsmith inspection recommended) is sufficient (different than ideal) for CCW/HD. The world's not perfect and at times one improvises until such time alternate arrangements are available.

That said I love the historical piece and would love to add it to my modest collection .
Old April 6, 2013, 08:10 PM   #15
James K
Staff

The Colt "1903" .32 auto is probably the most reliable pistol in that caliber ever made. Agreed that the .32 ACP is not an ideal defense round, but the gun is accurate and well made, much better than some more recent designs.

The "1908" in .380 ACP is not quite as reliable, especially with other than FMJ bullets, but again it is as good as any and better than many.

Both the grip safety and the manual safety lock the sear, though the small safety is a drawback.

Jim
Old April 6, 2013, 08:44 PM   #16
shouldazagged

"I wished that they still made this model"

Agreed. A nice internally-updated version. But then I'm really old...
Old July 5, 2013, 10:34 AM   #17
chaosrob

The 1908 isn't reliable? So my two examples that have never had one malfunction are somehow less reliable than a 32? My 1908's have eaten everything including the most aggressive of hollow points. Guess I have a couple rare reliable ones
Old July 5, 2013, 04:56 PM   #18
9mm

Why would you carry a 100 year old peice..... ? Some tiny part could be about to rust off and break. It was reliable in it's day.
Old July 5, 2013, 06:20 PM   #19
ttarp

Wow can I call this a zombie thread? Looking over the gun I have no fear of small (or large) parts rusting off and blowing up, its not like I dug it up in my backyard. Honestly I'm quite disappointed that people chose to judge the wisdom of my carry choices and ignored what I intended as my main question. All I was really looking for was non custom holster suggestions but thats the one thing not discussed in this thread.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:00 PM   #20
40-82

I really like the El Paso Saddlery Ultra Cover holster. This holster is so finely fittted to the gun that they make a different holster for the 1903 .32 auto and the 1908 .380 acp., although my 1903 32acp's will fit into the slightly larger holster for the 380. This holster allows the shirt to be tucked over the gunbutt which makes the rig suitable for summer wear without a jacket.

Sure, the little .32 acp Colt is a small caliber, but sometimes modern clothes are so tight you can't get even a J-frame Smith into a front pocket. If you wear a shirt and a belt you can conceal this little Colt with an Ultra Cover holster. These little Colts are reliable and with my RCBS 78 grain cast bullets, the 32 acp has enough penetration to get into where they live. No one who understands stopping power wouldn't prefer a bigger gun, but the little Colt certainly beats going without. Once in hand I prefer the 1903 to any 32acp I have ever shot because it has inherent accuracy--it will shot a ragged hole at fifty feet, and its practical accuracy is enhanced by its weight advantage over most other newer pocket pistols.

Maybe these little Colt pocket automatics are a relic from a time past, but then so am I.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:22 PM   #21
Sharpsdressed Man

I think you might look at any holster intended for the newer (1980's?) Colt Government .380. They are very similar in size.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:03 AM   #22
kcub

You might consider the Kimber Solo Carry which I consider the great grand son of the Browning pocket models. It's modern, reliable, looks awesome, shoots 9mm and is laserable.

But it kicks more and is pricey. Keep that old Colt anyway. Don't replace guns, augment them.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:37 PM   #23
g.willikers

This fine old pistol reminds me of all those great 1930s and 1940s movies.
To do it justice requires wearing a wide brim felt fedora and a loose fitting suit with wide lapels, though.
Old July 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #24
LarryFlew

The 2 1903s I owned where extremely reliable and very accurate. Wish I had them back but they where nice enough and with original holsters and spare mags that they sold for barely short of a grand each when I needed the money.