The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
barnettamb

suggestions for a truck gun...

i cant get a pistol yet and i cant get an ar. i want a shotgun or rifle to keep in my truck. probably for around 400-500 bucks. i love shotguns but i will also consider something like a marlin 336 3030.

any ideas?

thanks
Old April 4, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
oldgunsmith

Keeping anything that isn't stainless steel in a vehicle for any length of time surprises a lot of people how fast it can rust.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Nine the Ranger

I'd suggest taking a good look at the Used gun racks in your area, that way you may find something you like, yet if anything happens to it you won't feel so bad about it.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
lamarw

You don't state the purpose. A truck gun is a rather general and broad statement. Snakes come in the human and reptile version.

Just guessing, I would go with a 12 gauge 20 inch barrel shotgun. Then you select your load for your purpose. Mossberg or Remington will meet your need, and a used gun might be great. The problem is finding one used less expensive than a new one.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Coyote Blue

Yugo 59 SKS Truck Gun

I've had a Yugo 59 SKS for a truck gun for 8 years. Not equipped with the evil grenade launcher makes it Cali legal. 10 rounds and quick reloads with stripper clips. I keep 3 clips on hand.

If you live in a free state and want the grenade launcher, get the Yugo 59/66. I have them both and love them almost equally. The '59 just a bit more.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old April 5, 2013, 12:41 AM   #6
ZIA

Without know many details I'd say go with a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel. You can get these brand new for well within your price range.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:06 AM   #7
JimmyR

A simple pump action shotgun is probably your best bet. Others jump on me about this, but I reccomend a Remington 870 Youth model 20ga. Its short, light, and cheap enough to keep handy. It was my HD shotgun until recently, when I replaced it with my grandfather's Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams Model 300.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:14 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

Earlier this year I bought a Mossberg 500 Mariner (electroless nickel plated) for just under $400. I would agree with the advice to get a stainless or plated/coated firearm as condensation in a vehicle can rust tools and guns very quickly. I think the SKS is one of the perfect truck guns but nowadays even marine-grade shotguns are cheaper than an SKS! Get a Tacstar side saddle shell carrier and you have 10 rounds of buckshot and/or slugs at hand.

Plus a shotgun like the Rem 870 or Moss 500 is so generic that if you are in a wreck or the truck is stolen it is easily replaced.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 5, 2013, 01:33 AM   #9
DeadEye1911

Winchester 1300

I won't argue with the SKS or Mossberg 500, I have them both and love them both. However, my favorite 12g uage is my Winchester 1300. You can't go wrong with that. I've killed many deer with it, and it's the most accurate shotgun I own.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
barnettamb

thanks for the replies. im definitly a shotgun guy. i agree with the stainless steel so im going to look into some mossbergs and some 870s. thanks for the help.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:31 AM   #11
psyfly

For just barely over $ 300 you can get a brand-new Mossberg 510 "Mini Super Bantam" in 20ga that's only 34" long and weighs about 5 lbs.

I have one in one of my trucks, small, light, fast handling.

W
Old April 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
skimbell

I saw one of these the other day. It sounds like something you're describing. I didn't pay much attention to it but it looked like a chrome finish. Seems to me it was a bit higher than you're looking for but with the finish it might make the extra scratch acceptable.
Remington Marine Magnum.

Old April 5, 2013, 11:23 AM   #13
ChasingWhitetail91

There's a nice little 20 ga. bolt FS on this site, might be worth looking at.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Smilin Jack

Here's a great idea, don't leave a firearm in your vehicle. Sooner or later someone else will have it and they won't be as nice as you are.

I used to do it but saw too many break-ins happen so it's either on me, with me or locked up at home.
History will never record how many men have performed great deeds because they were driven out of their homes by some unbearable trait of their wives, from which they fled, almost joyfully, to face as an alternative peril and even death.
Major John Reid
Old April 5, 2013, 12:19 PM   #15
L_Killkenny

I change truck guns almost as often as I change underwear. Some days it's 10/22, others a .243, still others my 22" Winchester 1300, we haven't even touched on my various handguns yet.

I believe a good pump shotgun should be one of the first guns people should get due to it's versatility. That versatility is the same whether it's in house or in the truck. It doesn't have to be tactical or combat style, just about any will due fine. Find a shortish barrel that accepts choke tubes and learn to use it.

If you're thinkin about keeping it 24/7 in your truck (I don't, my guns go inside with me for very good reasons) look hard for a Winchester 1300 Marine. They've been out of production for years but IMO the 1300's (any of them) operate very smooth and the stainless finish of the Marine will stand up better to corrosion. While the numbers don't show big differences, the 1300 handles lighter and faster than the Remingtons and Mossbergs.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Serbu Super Shorty....

I'd get a Serbu Super Shorty 12ga or the 20ga(for one hand).

www.imfdb.org

www.Serbu.com
Old April 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #17
lcpiper

I have the Remington 870 Marine Magnum, it's my big gun for the house or in my truck/trailer when traveling.

It's a bit expensive and the finish is electroless nickel, if I had it to do over again I'd hunt down a Winchester 1300 stainless, cheaper, and probably overall still better even when 20 years old.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:13 PM   #18
Doyle

Once again - what is the purpose of this gun? In my opinion, a "truck gun" only comes into use when the truck itself is used in a way that having a readily accessible gun is needed - i.e. farm/ranch/etc.

If you are in ANY way thinking that a long truck gun is a self-defense weapon while on normal streets then you need to do some serious rethinking. Any self-defense use of a weapon requires ready access. That is not going to happen if you have that shotgun tucked behind the seat. On the other hand, having a long gun accessible up front in a "ready" position is just asking for trouble from the law. Plus, every time you stop to go into a store you'll have to re-hide it again.

If you want a readily accessible self-defense weapon, a handgun is the only way to go. If you are a farmer/rancher/etc., and you need something to kill varmints, then go with the long gun behind the seat.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Wleoff

I use to carry a Marlin Lever Action Trapper in 45 Colt, until it became too valuable. Sweet little rifle. A friend, who is a State Trooper, recommended carrying a lever action rifle, because they're not perceived as unAmerican nor threatening. AKs or ARs make some people nervous, like the police or troopers. I've been carrying for years an old 336 Marlin in 30-30 with no problems. Shoots great and people don't pay any attention to it. I drive an extended cab F150 so the old Marlin kind of matches. Works on anything in the SouthEast.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Garycw

suggestions for a truck gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettamb View Post
i cant get a pistol yet and i cant get an ar. i want a shotgun or rifle to keep in my truck. probably for around 400-500 bucks. i love shotguns but i will also consider something like a marlin 336 3030.

any ideas?

thanks
It sounds like you're not 21 yet? Also you might want to check the law about having a loaded gun in your vehicle. Transporting firearms has its own set of rules, unless you're a CCW lic holder with pistol. Even then then it either needs to be in holster or secured in compartment.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Rmart30

wally world carries a 12 guage pump with a pistol grip stock and 20 inch barrel for $199 .....dont remember what the brand of it was but ive seen them at several of the WM lately .
Old April 6, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22
treg

If the law in your area requires your gun to be unloaded in the vehicle I'd suggest something magazine fed. Learned while doing mini deer drives that anything else can be a PITA.

Still looking for the purpose of the gun so we can help narrow your choices.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Armybrat

This old H&R Topper 12 Ga. I bought new 30+ years ago for $48 & cut down to 19" served as my truck gun in a floor rack (behind the seat) for a number of years - not a speck of rust on it:

Old April 7, 2013, 08:05 AM   #24
TheNatureBoy

My truck gun is a .30-30 Westernfield (Mossberg) lever action rifle.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:47 AM   #25
barnettamb

i'm thinking about either a marlin 336 or some sort of 12 gauge shotgun. the purpose is for self defense or just general use... the shotgun gives me different load options