The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
amathis

Firearm Transfer in CT

I know this is rather a new situation.

I am supposed to be receiving a firearm from my Grandfather. This is a lever action deer rifle that has been in the family for years. The caveat is that he lives in CT and I in VT

Did anything that got passed in the legislature this week restrict him from giving it to me? I understand that for all sales one must get a background check, but what about a family face to face transfer?

Does anyone have a concise list yet of the laws that got passed?
Old April 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

There's more to the problem than you have considered. There's federal law to deal with. With a few exceptions (such as a bequest in a will), all firearms transfers that go from a resident of one state to a resident of another state must go through an FFL.

Assuming that your grandfather is still alive (& your OP kind of sounds like he is), you two will need to go to an FFL to make the transfer. As for State law, I'm not sure. I haven't seen the new CT laws, so I'd be very cautious.

ETA: More information can be found here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asaferconnecticut/

and here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/BA/2013SB-01160-R00-BA.htm

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old April 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
amathis

Thanks Spats!

I broke a cardinal rule and assumed that one could "GIVE" a firearm to a family member across state lines.

After a quick read of your comment and a trip over to the ATF FAQ's I get my answer. One cannot legally give a firearm to someone in another state without licensing.

Looks like I either need to set up a swap at an FFL in CT or have Grandpa come for a visit at my local gun shop.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, you two need to go to an FFL. No question. Here's the law: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/s/pdf...160-R00-SB.pdf. In particular, take a look at p. 2-3, beginning at line 27.

I'd suggest calling some FFLs on both sides of the border. My hunch (& it's really a hunch at this point) is that having Granpa come make the transfer in VT will be much, much simpler.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman