The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 3, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Farmalljon

8mm Mauser K98 Scope Mount Help

I just aquired a sporterized 8mm Mauser K98. The sights have been removed and the reciever has been drilled and tapped for a scope base, but the base is missing. There are two holes in the fwd end of the reciever, and one hole in the rear end of the reciever. Since there is only one hole in the rear of the reciever, I'm assuming it must have had a one piece base. Is this an accurate assumption? I'm further assuming that it must have been a Leopold, Burris, or Redfield base. Can anyone tell from the pictures below that show the holes what base this gun is drilled for? I want to buy another base for it, but I don't want to buy 3 or 4 bases until I find the one that fits the holes in the gun. Any suggestions?

Old March 3, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Scorch

Since it has the 2/1 hole layout, I would bet it has been drilled for a Redfield base (same as Leupold, Burris, Millett, and Weaver Grand Slam bases). When you go to buy a base, you will find that there are 2 bases for M98, one for military 98s, and one for FN/commercial M98s. Get the one for the military M98, it will have the right hole spacing as well as clearance for the little hump around the striiper guide.
Taylor Machine
Old March 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Farmalljon

Scorch, Is it correct to assume that all the brands you listed "share" the same mounting hole pattern, and that any of them will fit my gun with the holes that are drilled in it, as long as I choose one for "military" K89 Mausers? Do all of those you mentioned have scope rings still available that will fit the base?

Thanks.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
TQMC

Scope base

Did you ever find the correct base ? I have a similar problem with my Johnson Automatic Rifle, custom 270 bolt action .
Old April 7, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
HankC1

Leupold Mauser Military 1 piece base has approx 0.81" center to center spacing between the 2 front screw holes and approx. 4.21" C-T-C spacing from the rear front screw hole to the rear screw hole. FN mauser base has longer spacing if I remember correctly.

Check your hole spacing.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Mauser8mm

Funny You Ask This....

I had the same question at first, but it's weird you only have one hole on the rear base!!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501650

Matter fact, that was my first post!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt