The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2004, 07:24 PM   #1
GonzoX

Taurus PT22 Magazine problem

Since there are a lot of Taurus PT22 owners here I was wondering if you can help me.

Just got a used one and I have noticed a constant problem with mine jamming.

It appears that the problem is in the magazine.

I would put 6 to 9 rounds in and sometimes the bullet head appears to snagg on the inside front of the magazine and that the rim of the round below it causes the top round's rear end to lift up and nose to go down. When this happens, the gun will not feed the next round as the bullet nose is caught against the front frame of the magazine and can't go foward. Sometimes I actually have to take a nail to free the jamed bulet in magazine.

I tried another magazine and cleaned and oiled them both to no avail.
Tried two different boxes of ammo today but mostly used the $10 Wal Mart 550 round value pack. I guess it's made by Federal but it's not marked as Federal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now it james on every other magazine load. Sometimes it also fails to extract. When that happens I simply pop up the barel and pull out the shot round & put in a new one.

For a $140 Pawn Shop purchase I would say it's a keeper. Not the first gun I had to make me go into gunsmith mode but I do need some suggestions with this one. Thanks all.
Old November 8, 2004, 07:30 PM   #2
GonzoX

Woops, actually it was a box of Remington Golden Bulet Bonus Pack.

Read here that the PT22 is supposed to like this stuff. Is there a certain art to loading them or something?

Here is a picture of the problem:

Last edited by GonzoX; November 9, 2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old November 27, 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
GonzoX

Problem solved...

The gun is simply picky about ammo. Found two other brands that it likes just fine (one being a HP round).

Apparently it's all about bullet shape and how it relates to sliding up the feed ramp.
Old November 27, 2004, 06:32 PM   #4
railroader

As for hollow points in your taurus I really doubt if they are going to expand so regular old round nose is probably your best bet anyway. Mark
Old November 27, 2004, 07:22 PM   #5
GonzoX

Yeah well I never really understood the point of 22 hp anyway. I have plenty of much bigger cannons for self defense. Guess it would be better if I actually had to use a 22 in an "other than plinking" situation.

I must say though that I simply love this little gun. It's so darn fun to shoot, not to mention dirt cheap to shoot.

Put 500 rounds through it in one day and had a blast. Range people made me sign an "understanding of the rules" after the fact, that rapid fire was not allowed on their range.

Sc$w them, there's other ranges who understand that rapid fire practice is an important defensive drill. Especially when it comes to smaller than 45cal guns. Paranoid politicians and lawyers rule the roost I guess.
Old November 28, 2004, 09:16 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Mine became reliable using Winchester Super-X.
Old November 28, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7
GonzoX

Yep, Super X is one that works in mine also. Prefer the Winchester dynapoint though. Depends on which one is on sale.

Not sure if Super X is considered hyper velocity or not so Ill stick with the dynapoints for now.

Reming ammo and yellow jackets do not work in mine too well. Random FTFs and even rare FTEs.

The Winchester stuff is all good
Old December 2, 2004, 06:12 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

I M E

Reliability is paramount in mouse-guns: consider them a long ice-pick.........
Old April 20, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
ranbunctious

pt-22 jam

I've got it straight from the horse's mouth. Gunsmith told me a fix for every semi auto that does this, and about 1/2 do. Two things:

1. The tips at the top of the magazine that hold the front tip of the bullet. With pliers, VERY SLIGHTLY bend the tips outward. If it still won't load correctly....

2. Check the loading ramp the bullet travels to the barrel. Either it is painted, or not glassy smooth. Using 600 grit emery sanding cloth, rub the paint off and make it as smooth as possible, especially if it has horizontal scratches or machining lines.

The first one usually cures the problem, but both will cure the problem 100%.