The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 18, 2013, 05:55 AM   #1
TAKtical

WASR project

Bought a WASR from a guy on here. I was looking for a new project and I got a good deal on it. It had some typical WASR problems and the magwell and mag latch area needed some filing and widening. Got everything worked out and gave it a makeover. Its running really well. Got out with it yesterday for some run and gun in the woods. I was also testing a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated 7moa for the first time and I really like that as well. Its very quick and the dot was quite bright in the sun and the shade as well. I might just leave it on the WASR.

Before

After
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at TakticalHolsters@aol.com Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 18, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
B.O.F.H.

I like the way it looks now. Congrats!
Old March 18, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Gunnutfn49

Hope you kept the wood in case your change your mind about the plasic look.

Otherwise, congratulations!!!!!

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 18, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
TAKtical

I did. I dont think I will change my mind though. I have several other almost identical sets.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at TakticalHolsters@aol.com Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Wyoredman

I have a single stack WASR that I opened the mag well up on and replaced the wood with plastic. I removed the barrel nut and installed a slant break.

All in all it was a fun project, but I opened the magwell a bit too much for some of the thinner military surplus steel mags. They wobble side to side and ocasionally I get a FTF. The problem never happens if I use the TAPCO polymer mags. They are a bit thicker in the body and don't have any side to side movement when inserted in the gun.

Your WASR looks pretty cool. What stock/forearm/pistol grip are those? I used the Tapco stuff, and it isn't as substantial as your furniture.

All in all, though, for a $300 gun, I had a ball with converting the single stack to accept double stack mags!

I'm sure you had as much fun as I did! Great looking rifle.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Trijicon RMR
Your sight costs more than your rifle.

Which is not an unusual thing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 19, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
TAKtical

I got the RMR brand new on Amazon for $425
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 19, 2013, 07:39 PM   #8
TAKtical

The stock is tapco, the grip is hogue, the foregrip is tapco, and I dont remember who makes the rail. Ive had it sitting in a cardboard box for a couple years. Maybe UTG? I just put it on while I wait for a midwest industries to arrive. Foregrip will be replaced with a magpul AFG
-Tom&Tricia
Old April 1, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Mr Budha

I like it. Any chance you want to sell the wood from your old set up??
Old April 2, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Justice06RR

Congrats! Very nice WASR AK. The upgrades are definitely a plus.

I also recently bought a used WASR 10/63 and it is just as accurate as my AR--with iron sights . My only issues are a stiff mag release and minor magwell issues, but I use mostly steel mags so its not a big deal.