The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
sliverslinger

.40 cal cast bullet ?

Any advice welcome (I know I asked for it) I'm running out of boolits like everyone else. well not really, but I'm too low to be happy. So I've started messing with cast bullets. Remember I'm loading for 3 different pistols. My wifes is a sig 2022, my son is shooting a Springfield xd, and I'm running a g22 with a lone wolf barrel. sig has a 401 bore, the xd and glock are .400 exactly.I"m trying to make the same bullet work in all. I loaded up some .402 cast bullets they are DARDAS bulllets, I don't remember hardness,will have to double check. I sat them over 4.5gr. of wsf and seated them at 1.125". I used a taper crimp at .421. (lyman dies) they shot like a .22 out of the sig. a little more snap out of my glock. sig didn't foul bad,the glock did foul for about 3/4" . maybe because I shot them after a dozen rounds of plated bullets? I use barnes cr-10 and/or shooters choice copper remover. I also will use breakfree clp. So, to make the rounds shoot cleaner, should I run up closer to 5 gr. of powder or just buy some .401 bullets for us and use the .402 bullets for my wifes sig. Dardas are made in Michigan so I can get them pretty easy right now.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Idaho Spud

What weight bullet are you loading?
Old April 3, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
swcc22

Re: .40 cal cast bullet ?

Well I dont know about lone wolf barrels but shooting a lead bullets through a factory barrel is no bueno.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Shoot the Dardas bullets in the SIG and get some .401s from Missouri Bullet Co. for the XD and Glock. Your cast bullet needs to run .001" larger than the groove dia. of your barrel. Don't quite understand why you got leading from the Dardas bullet in the Lone Wolf barrel. I have shot .402" cast lead bullets with no issues. You just have to be more careful in load development and not load as high in chargeweight as you could for a .401". You really should be able to use a .402" cast bullet for all 3 pistols if you hold them to mid level charges. Velocity and Brinell hardness shouldn't really be a factor unless you were pushing them very hard. I believe I've heard folks say that if you can wait just a bit longer, Missouri Bullet will custom size your bullet order.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
swcc22

Re: .40 cal cast bullet ?

See u learn something new evey day I dont shoot lead bullets so I dont know about them I just know not to shoot them out of my glock
Old April 4, 2013, 07:21 AM   #6
sliverslinger

I thought about that after i went to bed, forgot to mention bullet weight. They are 180s I believe 4.5gr. Is o. The light side. I think I saw 5gr listed as med./high? Swc22 you can shoot lead through stock glock barrels I bought the lone wolf to prevent bulged brass from factory loads. It seems that factory loads are full on power, the tighter chamber of the LWB prevents ALL bulging.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:26 AM   #7
David Bachelder

I shoot .401 cast bullets out of my glock 23. There is minimal leading and the bullets shoot great. As a side note I do use a Lone Wolf barrel.

5.0 grains Universal
175 gr Flat Nose or 165 gr Hollow point, I cast both.

BHN runs about 14 or so. I'm working to get that number to 12 or a little less.

See:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...8&d=1340286245