The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
mmc205

What are your 500 Smith and Wesson Accurate loads

Hey all,
i purchase ad 4" 500 S&W some time ago, and more recently a 10.5" performance center. The performance center temporarily wears a Bushnell 2-6 scope.

My question is, what loads have you found that excelled in accuracy and were not awful in the recoil department? I"ll go first.

I have a "hot" load for fun consisting of:

Hornady 300 gr FTX
50.0 grains H110
seated to cannelure, hard crimp
CCI large rifle primers.

i'm not sure about accuracy as i have a hard time not flinching when i touch this one off. Out of the 10", It averages about 2025 fps, and it stings a little.

I've also stumbled on a reasonably accurate load recently as well consisting of:

Hornady 300 gr FTX
25.0 grains power pistol
seated to cannelure
CCI large Rifle primer

With this load, for the first time i was able to achieve roughly 4 inch groups at 100 yards if i did my part (read didn't flinch)

Recoil was not bad at all. Haven't chronoed this one yet, but i'm guessing about 1600-1700 fps out of the 10.5

anyone else have any pet loads in Power Pistol?

How about any others?