The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 05:37 AM   #26
Garycw

Is it safe to shoot hard objects down range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui View Post
Necco wafers also make good reactive targets - they essentially vaporize when you hit them:

That's just sick! Those are delicious!!

I think it never a good idea to shoot at rocks or hard surfaces at a angle no matter how far down range you are. Sure it's fun to hear the whine of a ricochet or see how far you can skip a bullet across a lake or down a river. I like to know where my bullets are going to end up. It's really no fun to be out in the woods hunting or otherwise and have someone else's bullets zinging through the trees.

Sent from iPhone
Old April 5, 2013, 03:05 AM   #27
dakota.potts

So how do you mount the Necco wafers? Glue or tape them to something? Hang them from fishing line?
Old April 5, 2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Mr. James

Had a funny experience with an oddly non-reactive target: a gallon Tropicana orange juice jug. My brother set it up on a hillside behind his house, and we proceeded to blaze away with my then-brand new SA 1911.

Nothing.

WTH?? We aren't that bad. Certainly, we aren't both that bad.

Okay, screw the .45; my brother unlimbers his Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum. We blaze away again, and, again, nothing. Okay, now we're downright mad. We stomp downrange (well, uprange, topographically speaking) to check out this damnable jug.

Turns out we'd shot the hell out of it, but there was so little resistance from the plastic, the jug just kind of sat there. The only way to make it dance was to hit it on the handle, which made it cartwheel off towards the tree line.

I love some of the ideas here. I'd forgotten about golf balls - they can be a hoot. Necco wafers and crackers will certainly be packed in the range bag!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #29
Newton24b

every object or backstop ive ever seen has been hard. how else do you create sufficient force to STOP A BULLET?

do you suggest we need to start using a 50 foot deep pile of pillows and maxi pads to stop bullets?

the targets we need to think about are the "shoot through bouncing balls' sold at cabelas for instance, advertised to be hit, and reseal the hole as the bullet passes through, and the bullet always hits the ground after it passes through the target, not the safest idea right?
Old April 7, 2013, 03:32 PM   #30
RamItOne

Older clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-psit8M9K0
.50 ricochet

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old April 7, 2013, 04:03 PM   #31
stumper1300

"the targets we need to think about are the "shoot through bouncing balls' sold at cabelas for instance, advertised to be hit, and reseal the hole as the bullet passes through, and the bullet always hits the ground after it passes through the target, not the safest idea right?"

Lost track of how many. 45acp and. 22 bullets I have piicked up off the ground where those targets were siitting when we shot them.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:30 PM   #32
Garycw

Is it safe to shoot hard objects down range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne View Post
That made me cringe to see. If he would have been closer may not have been pretty. Luckily it hit the ground first and he didn't shoot his eye out. I've had a couple similar close calls but not hit.

Last edited by Garycw; April 8, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Boomer58cal

Check out the YouTube video of the guy shooting a 50 BMG into a rock query and shooting his own hat off!

I have a holy quarter on my key chain as we speak or type or whatever.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:19 PM   #34
Dashunde

A few years ago I was shooting at some 3mm sheetmetal from about 25 feet or so, I had it angled slightly to the side to deflect the rounds a bit and the 40s&w was still going right through it.
I switched to 45acp and on the third shot the copper jacket of the FMJ round came back and chewed on my right forearm a little bit, just a scrape.
I can only figure it hit a dented curve and somehow the jacket made a U-turn.

Last edited by Dashunde; April 10, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:16 PM   #35
RamItOne

^^^^^^^
Boomer and TheDog see posts 30&32

The guy was very very lucky

It hits his earmuffs and he then throws his hat off

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old April 10, 2013, 08:05 PM   #36
BigD_in_FL

Something fun to watch when hit by a high-powered rifle is an old paint can (gallon size), with either some colorant or paint in it and filled with water. Hammer the lid on tight, place it lid side down and fire. My 7mag used to send them about 30 feet into the air at 100 yards
I can only imagine what a 338 or even a 50 would do