The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
leadchucker

Lee Micro Disk Reproductions

The Lee Micro Disk made accurate and consistent small loads of hard to measure powders like Unique possible on the Auto Disk Powder Measure. Lee discontinued the Micro Disk, evidently because of a broken mold and prohibitive replacement costs.

I heard that an independent vendor was advertising reproductions of the Micro Disk for sale. Anyone heard of it?
Old December 8, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Real Gun

A number of people have bemoaned the fact that this device is not available from Lee. I think if one were to allow a little leeway in the desired charge weight, a small disk aperture or one that was drilled out a bit would be close enough.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Tex S

I wonder why they wouldn't just make another mold? Couldn't be that cost prohibitive.
Old December 8, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Real Gun

My understanding is no doubt dated, but molds cost in the tens of thousands. That's a lot of micro disks to break even. See the dilemma?

Hey, once set for a small charge, who's gonna mess with it anyway? Betcha can't settle for just one.

That leaves no difference from a stock or modified disc aperture.