The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
FieldMouse

CCing a Beretta 92A1

I've been reading this forum since I decided to get a handgun/shotgun for home defense and CCW (for the handgun of course Now I know the fellow who started this post said he was larger, but I'm more of the slender type. 5'8 weighing only 135-145. The thing is I really like the feel of the 92A1. Does anyone here carry any of the 92 series and is a slender guy? If so do you have any problems with it, if not... Well I'm guessing there's a good reason.

Thanks in advanced!
Old March 29, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
BornToLooze

Just get some Dickies work shirts that are 1 size bigger than you wear. Before I was seeing what I could get away with I managed to conceal both my 1911s and my full sized .357 and was barely printing.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, FieldMouse!

I've never tried to CC a Beretta, but we do have our fair share of members who do CC full-sized pistols. You've just gotta dress around the gun.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old March 29, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Pilot

You may also want to check out a 92FS Compact. Beretta is producing one right now, and it is a very nice pistol. It has a shortened 92FS Compact slide on a compact M9A1 frame. It is a bit easier to conceal, but still will give you the Beretta "feel" you like.

Last edited by Pilot; March 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:54 AM   #5
chewie146

Beretta "fee"! Well, they're not cheap . Yes, you can do it. No, it's not hard. No, it's not that comfortable. I used to conceal a full-sized gun. I don't now. There are situations where I do, though, and it is possible. Most of the time, my J-frame goes along for the ride. If you can do it all the time, you're a better man than I am. I had a friend who could conceal an N-frame like most of us could conceal a K-frame. Some people have the build and dress to carry big guns without trouble. I'm not one of them. The bigger the gun, the better your gear has to be to make it doable. You can get away with a J-frame in an uncle mike's, but something like a Beretta takes better belts and holsters to make it less cumbersome. Good holsters will go a long way, and the returns are better on big pistols.

Berettas are great guns, but there are great guns that are smaller. Shooting little pistols isn't that hard with some practice. I competed with a Glock 26, and placed in the top 2 or 3 at the local matches, which included Gunsite instructors and former and current protective force handgun instructors. I'm not attempting to boast, but rather illustrate that smaller guns are as effective accuracy-wise as larger guns. Police carry duty pistols because they can. It's out in the open, and they are more likely to need the higher capacity and higher velocity. For me, high capacity is a home-defense scenario.

If you look at carry trends as people navigate through holsters and weapons, you'll see handguns shrink rather than grow as most CCers move on. There's a reason for that. As a comparison, I'm 6'1" and about 205 right now. My ideal weight is about 190. My wife bakes to much around Christmas.

Last edited by chewie146; March 29, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

guns that long tend to be uncomfortable to sit with.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 29, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
ferrarif1fan

You know, you can carry any gun you want, but there are typically compromises. Yes, 5" barreled guns are nice and accurate, but can be a pain to conceal. If you're stuck on the Beretta 92, which is an excellent platform, Beretta did make a compact version with a single stack magazine and thinner grip. I'd also suggest you take a look at the Beretta PX4 Compact. I am a BIG Beretta fan and have the PX4 in full size and Compact, both in 9mm. In my mind, the PX4 Compact is about perfect for concealed carry. It has just enough grip length to allow you a full grip, unless you have giant hands. That grip houses a magazine that holds 15 rounds of 9mm, plus on in the chamber for a total of 16 rounds! The pistol has a unique rotating barrel design that also softens the recoil. On top of all of this, the barrel-to-action fit is very tight, providing excellent accuracy. Mine has been 100% reliable and has become my daily CCW gun. I'd definitely suggest taking a look at one if you're open to a Beretta that's not a 92 series.

Robert
Old March 30, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
B.O.F.H.

I edc my 92a1 in a smart carry holster. YMMV.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
ShipWreck

I concealed carried a 92Fs for three years IWB at the 3 o'clock position with a comptac holster... I am 6'1" and 187 lbs. did it even in the summer with a t shirt. It can be done
Old April 16, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
goingape

All I read about is how nobody has a solution to holster/harness problems with the 92a1 and m9a1. Why cant anyone suggest where to find holsters and shoulder harnesses for them? Oh, also have to be available in left handed.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Concealment methods; 92-96 series...

There are a # of carry methods you can try out. Some are better than others. One carry method I'd advise against is the small-of-back(SOB) or middle back carry.
R&Ds and sworn LE feedback shows that SOB carry could cause a serious injury to your spine or lower back if you were pushed down/wounded.

In the late 1990s, I packed a Beretta 96D .40 with a ported/extended barrel in a black leather Aker Comfort Flex shoulder rig. It worked great even up to 16hrs.
A IWB style rig or inside-the-waist may be good for your build. Ted Blocker's LFI series(co-designed by noted gun writer/sworn LE officer: Massad Ayoob).
The Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster has merit. I like the angle style pistol carry & the horizontal magazine carry. It frees up area in the belt area on the off-side.
Kydex & synthetic material holsters may fit your needs.
Good brands include Safariland(SFS & ALS), High Noon Holsters(Skin Tite), COM Holsters, Blade-Tech, Blackhawk SERPA.
Custom or exotic holsters may take longer to get but many armed professionals(spec ops, LE, PIs, EP agents, etc) like them. Shark, Rhino, Horsehide, Bull, etc.
Always call first before you order or buy. Some design changes or minor features may not fit a holster with some pistol models.
Here are a few good holster brands to review: Greg Kramer, Milt Sparks, Galco, Alessi, Kirkpatrick Leather, Don Hume, Lawman LeatherGoods, Ken Null, El Paso Saddlery, Mernickle, Mitch Rosen, DeSantis.
Always carry at least one fully loaded spare magazine too. I prefer to use FMJs or ball type rounds; 124gr 9mmNATO. Ammunition like Buffalo Bore 124gr +P+ FMC, Corbon PowRball, Ranger T 124gr 9mmNATO.

CF