The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
godzilla23

First Semi Auto handgun

I am looking to buy my first semi auto handgun. Anything from HK, Sig, Glock, FNH, Beretta. I am looking at getting a .40 or .45 since 9mm is nonexistent right now. This will be a range gun but i may carry it. Ive shot them all i just cant decide. Ive been leaning toward a glock 23 but then I see the H&Ks, then the sigs, then Beretta. Ha, its a vicious cycle
Old March 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Swampman1

Don't forget the Springfield XDm. I'm hearing alot of good things about it...saying they like it better than a Glock. I love my G19 gen 4, but my next one will be the XDm-9mm(want that 19 rd mag)
Old March 27, 2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Constantine

I prefer my Glock over XD.

I'd opt out for the Glock 19. Or something in 9mm. Don't let that be a reason not to get a 9mm. If you just want a .40 or .45 that's cool too.

9mm - Glock 19, SIG P226 or P229, M&P-9

.40 - Glock 23, SIG P226 or P229

.45 - SIG P220, Glock 30,

they're more. But lets just stick to those for my comment for now
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old March 27, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Personally i like the 40 S&W over the 45 and are you looking for full size frame?

Either way welcome to the semi-auto world its awesome here!
Old March 27, 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Davejb

Sig P226 or SP2022 would be a good choice. Or just get one of everything on your list
Old March 27, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
magnum777

I like the Springfield XDM and the Beretta px4 storm/ Beretta 92/96.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Ruger45LC

I personally think the Glock 23 is one of the best all around pistols made. Perfect size IMHO and packs plenty of power for anything you'll need a pistol for.

Repent America!
Old March 27, 2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Crioche

It's a tough decision, because all of the pistols mentioned are good.

I love the SIG P226, but if you threw me a HK USP I'd be happy too.

If I had a Glock 17 I'd have a smile on my face, but it wouldn't make me not yearn for the SIG or HK.

I'm happy with 9mm, but then it's all I've ever known being an ex-military man. In the end, it might come down to money...

A quick google says:

Glock $499
USP $840
SIG P226 $900
Old March 27, 2013, 07:30 PM   #9
tahunua001

if you are limiting yourself to only name brands then I would suggest the Beretta PX4. it'll be one of the most cost effective on your list with a glock or FNX in 2nd and close 3rd place.

if there's even a chance of you concealed carrying then I suggest a compact and as a compact the PX4 shines. the rotating barrel absorbs a great deal of recoil which helps a lot in a compact handgun.

however I would like to second the motion that you include companies like Smith&wesson and, Ruger and Springfield. the Springfield XDM is a great handgun and my XDM45 compact in 45 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:51 PM   #10
godzilla23

oh yeah the xd is on the list too. Ive shot the Ruger and it didnt jive with me for some reason. I have 2 Ruger revolvers, the only two guns ive owned and i love them. I like the glocks bc of the price tag. The only thing it is missing is a manual safety. I know the brain is the safety but its just one thing i wish it had. Oh well. Im probably going for the glock 23 or 30.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
tahunua001

if it helps the XD and XDM have grip safeties so even though it's passive, it still adds an extra line of defense against negligent discharges.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:41 AM   #12
tristar viper

If you've got the money for an HK or a Sig, then go for one of those. A Sig P226 or P229 are awesome pistols, as is the H&K USP. My P226 Navy is one of the two finest pistols I have ever shot, personally.
I can't tell by your post if you have ever shot either one of these guns or not.....if you haven't, do yourself a favor and find a range that rents them. If you're like me, you'll then forget all about PX4's, M&P's, Glocks, XD's, etc.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Josh_Putman

Don't forget about the 1911! Granted, you don't get nearly as many rounds, but it is a classic design that has been proven for a century now.

Of course, maybe I'm just being nostalgic. But that being said, my full size, all steel Colt sure feels comforting on my hip.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:37 AM   #14
godzilla23

I have shot the p229 awhile ago and only a few rounds, like 50 rounds. It was nice but i didnt totally dismiss other guns. I am going to see if I can try out a few more and get a better idea. Thanks for the input, i really appreciate it
Old March 28, 2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Pilot

If you are considering carrying it, get one of the semi-compact version of these service pistols. Some to consider.

CZ-75D PCR
CZ P-01
CZ P-07
Beretta 92FS Compact
Sig P229
HK USPc
HK P-30
Glock G19

I would also get a 9MM. The ammo shortage will not last forever, it is less expensive, and you can also reload for it pretty cheaply. Components are available.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:56 AM   #16
SmokinSigs357

If you've got the dough, get the HK45. The SIG P220 and new P227 is supposed to be really awesome as well. The metal frame on the SIGs tame recoil a bit and they are tack drivers to boot!
Old March 28, 2013, 11:08 AM   #17
iMagUdspEllr

What do you like as far as trigger pulls, safety features, etc?

IMHO:
I would steer away from a Beretta, personally. They are good guns, reliable, accurate, et cetera. But, they are DA/SA and have a slide-mounted safety. I'm, personally, not a fan for those reasons. But, if you don't mind DA/SA and a slide-mounted safety you could go for a Beretta 96 or PX4 Storm.

I don't like that the Beretta 96 only has 10 rounds in the magazine and its big. But, its all-steel.

The PX4 Storm compact is polymer-framed. but it has a rotating, barrel recoil system that will help tame the recoil of the .40. It also carries 12 rounds in the magazine. It is also more compact so you would be able to conceal it easier than the 96. High value (bang/$).

FNX-40 is neat because you can carry it like a 1911 (hammer cocked and safety on) or you can carry it like a DA/SA (decocked and safety off). It carries 14 rounds, too. Its fairly compact, too. High value (bang/$).

Glocks are used by nearly everyone, proven, reliable. Can't recommend them more. Their only downsides are that maybe the ergonomics, trigger, and a lack of a thumb-safety may or may not turn you off. Many people don't seem to mind due to the fact that they work and do their job well. They are light weight, which is only kinda a downside because you are going to want to go for a compact pistol and you want it in .40 or .45. So, it is going to recoil more. Fact of life. But, many, many people shoot Glock 23s just fine. Capacity is 13 but you can always buy Glock 22 magazines or simply put a magazine extension on your 23 magazines to make them 15 rounds (or put an extension on Glock 22 magazines for an even higher capacity! Go nuts!). But, the further you extend the magazine the harder it will be to coneal. High value (bang/$).

HKs are great. Proven, reliable, just more $. They have a frame-mounted safety (which is better IMHO). You can carry them cocked and locked (1911-style) or decocked and safety off. They have a recoil reduction buffer system that will help tame the recoil of the .40 or .45 despite being a polymer-framed gun. These are just pricier guns, though. Smaller aftermarket (that you arguably don't need to use), more expensive magazines, but HK makes great guns. People generally like the triggers on the Sigs better, though. However, there is a lot of customizing you can do or have done to HK triggers. Check out/read up on the LEM trigger if you like everything about the HKs but aren't a fan of DA/SA.

Sigs are just as proven as HKs. They have a higher bore-axis (more muzzle flip), and don't have a recoil-dampening system like the HKs. But, they are all-steel to make up for it a little bit. The general consensus is that people like Sig triggers out-of-the-box more than they like HK triggers out-of-the-box. But, Sigs don't have the LEM trigger option (they have the DAK option, but there aren't as many fans of DAK as there are of LEM triggers or DA/SA triggers). Sigs don't have the ability to be carried cocked and locked safely (1911-style, condition I). They, fortunately, don't have a slide-mounted safety like the Berettas. They actually lack a manual safety altogether. That simplifies the design and usage but forces you to do a DA trigger pull for your first shot.

Guns you didn't mention...

XD/Ms, M&Ps, SR9, Walther PPQ M2: Striker fired pistols. Their claim to fame is that they all seek to satisfy people that aren't satisfied by Glocks, but still want a striker-fired pistol.

Walther PPQ M2 has the nicest out-of-the-box trigger... and its arguably better than even the after-market trigger of the other guns listed... right out of the box.

No real experience with the SR9, but you should check it out. They have a frame-mounted safety, despite have a Glock-style safety on the trigger.

XD/Ms have so-so triggers out of the box but some people like that they have a grip-safety. So they appeal to people that are somewhat uncomfortable with the Glock-style safety on the trigger but still don't want a frame-mounted safety.

The M&Ps probably have the worst triggers out of the box. They started upgrading how the triggers reset since they released the Shield. So you may like the trigger better than the XD/Ms. And, they also have some of the best trigger upgrades available through APEX. But, I would recommend that you decide that you definitely don't like the Walther PPQ M2 before you buy the M&P and spend $50, $100, $200 for replacement upgrade trigger parts for the M&P when you can buy the PPQ M2 and be good to go out-of-the-box. However, there is a much better aftermarket for the M&Ps than the PPQs because the PPQs are much newer.

CZs are nice, polymer or all-steel framed guns. They have the ability to be converted from cocked and locked (condition I) to decocker-only DA/SA trigger-styles. Can't say anything bad about them really.

If you will potentially carry it, it is good to get one that is at least somewhat compact in size and light weight. But, I believe its better to get steel-framed guns in .40 and .45. It adds weight but the gun will have a less forceful recoil. This helps make up for using a compact gun to shoot .40/.45 that is necessarily lighter than a full-size would be. Plenty of people (more than plenty actually) shoot polymer-framed Glock 23s all the time, though. So, its ultimately your decision to go all-steel or polymer-frame.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18
redhologram

Ok, so it'll be a range gun that you MAY carry? I'd be looking at compacts just because you said you MAY carry. If I were you, I would get what you want for a range gun, then get something that can be used for carry AND range. Some can use one gun for both. I like bigger range guns and smaller carry guns but also use them at the range to make sure I am proficient on them.
I don't care much for .40 (my personal preference only)
Rather go with a 9mm or .45
Glocks are just good, solid reliable guns IMO.
Pull the trigger, it's going to go bang.
I own Glocks, Sigs and XDM. I have no complaints with any of them. I just have my preferences. But I also switch up what I carry depending on what I am wearing.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
milito227

Glock 19. Great all around gun. good mix in size between duty and carry. (mm cheap enough to practice. I personally like the S&W M&P better than Glock However, the full size M&P is generally to large to carry. The compact & shield is smaller than the 19 and will be more difficult to master.

P.S. Great Forum. If you are in Idaho Please support out local forums at Zidaho.com
Old March 28, 2013, 01:44 PM   #20
TunnelRat

M&P 45 Compact. Thank me later.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:00 PM   #21
ET.

Wow, sure are a lot of guns listed on this thread. The problem is they all are good pistols. I do like my Gen4 Glock 23. I just received my Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for it. It makes practice cheaper & the recoil is better to handle on those days I want to shoot 200 rounds. That said, I also like my M&Ps. The M&P 40 Pro is a sweet shooting gun & I also have a 9mm conversion barrel for it as well. I usually find myself carrying a Glock 27 or M&P 40 Shield.

BUT I shoot my SA Range Officer 1911 better than anything I own. At 10-15 yards I can shoot one big hole in the bullseye. I can't duplicate that with the polymer guns. I don't carry it because it's just too big & heavy to carry. That's why I own so many of the plastic guns. They shoot well enough and are much easier to carry. If carry guns weren't a compromise, then we would all be carrying AR15's or 12 gauge pump shotguns. Just saying...
Old March 28, 2013, 10:45 PM   #22
godzilla23

SO many guns, so many choices. Haha I am going to have to sit on this for awhile do some more shooting with these guns and just go with my gut, since they are all good guns and they wont let me down. Thanks for the response from all you out there. I wasnt expecting to get so much help and i was pleasantly surprised. Thanks again
Old March 28, 2013, 11:31 PM   #23
godzilla23

ive narrowed it down to a sig 226, 229 or a glock 23 all in .40.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:00 PM   #24
iMagUdspEllr

Cool. Again, because if you want to conceal it, the longer barrel of the P226 isn't going to be ideal.

Definitely the P229 E2 or Enhanced Elite.

I, personally, don't like DA/SA but it sounds like you don't mind it. That being the case, the P229 will have less recoil than the Glock 23. Both of them have aftermarket options for extended magazines, too. I just hope that you can buy any magazines and extensions you need before they vote for the ban in early-mid April.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:31 PM   #25
Skitter

Stoeger Cougar 8040!

Love mine, nuff said