The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1
TinyDee

A Walther??

I just traded for a Walther PPK and love it. However it has Smith and Wesson on the side too. Has there been any negative reactions to this or is it just fine?
Old March 27, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
geetarman

There were some issues with some of the PPK pistols early on that were built by Smith and Wesson.

I have one that I have had for about 3 years that has never had a failure. It is a good reliable pistol.

Do you know when yours was built?

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 27, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3
James K
Staff

All Walther PP and PPK pistols are now made by S&W; as Geetarman says, there were some problems early on but there were also some improvements. I like the guns.

Jim
Old March 28, 2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Comancheseven

I love mine I have a PPK/S and have used it as one of my Concealed Carry Weapons for years. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, and hits what I aim at.
Can't ask for any more than that.
Dave
Old March 28, 2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
All Walther PP and PPK pistols are now made by S&W; as Geetarman says, there were some problems early on but there were also some improvements. I like the guns.
Is this still true? I thought that Walther ended their partnership recently.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Fishbed77

They ended their relations as far as S&W importing and distributing Walther products in the US, but S&W will continue to manufacture the PPK pistols under liscense.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
They ended their relations as far as S&W importing and distributing Walther products in the US, but S&W will continue to manufacture the PPK pistols under license.
There's one caveat: the new .22LR PPK/S will be built in Germany, likely by Umarex, based on the markings on pre-production samples.

FWIW all PPK's sold in the USA since 1968 have been American-made, as have all PP and PPK/S pistols sold here after the infamous "Walther Wars" of the early 1980's. Prior to the early 2000's, these pistols were made under the Interarms banner by subsidiaries of Mid-South Industries, a diverse and still-extant manufacturing conglomerate. Walther's American licenses were sold to S&W after Interarms declared bankruptcy and was liquidated.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
There's one caveat: the new .22LR PPK/S will be built in Germany, likely by Umarex, based on the markings on pre-production samples.
Of course, as any Walther fan will tell you, a pistol made by Umarex is NOT a real Walther.