The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 25, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
steve4102

Sen. Reid Beefs up "Base Bill" to Destroy Gun Ownership

http://209.157.64.201/focus/f-news/3000672/posts

We now know a lot more about what's going to happen with gun control legislation than we did a few days ago.

First, the number of the bill we are fighting is S. 649. Harry Reid introduced it on Thursday and brought it directly onto the Senate calendar. This means the bill can now come up at any time — probably soon after the Easter recess is over.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
mdd

The small but collective sigh of relief breathed by freedom loving Americans everywhere upon finding out feinsteins awb had been dropped from the main package of gun control laws was obviously short-lived. Right back into it we go. These people will lie, cheat, steal, and use any underhanded back alley trick they can to advance their unconstitutional agenda.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: left/right politics.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Scary bill. I'd like to think this many crazy measures are going to basically kill the bill without any work but who knows.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

We haven't seen the text of the bill yet. Until then, all we can do is speculate. Judging from the synopsis I've seen, it would include the Fix Gun Checks (ie. universal background check) Act, which may kill any chance of passage.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

Isn't this bill absolutely impossible to pass in the house?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 26, 2013, 05:43 AM   #6
gc70

Text of S.649 is available.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:09 AM   #7
2ndsojourn

^^^^ It's next to impossible to read unless you read it line by line with the Schumer bill. It ought to get nixed just because it's so difficult to figure out.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:12 PM   #8
BarryLee

Looks like a group of Senators are vowing to filibuster the current bill. Let Senators Paul, Cruz and Lee know you appreciate their strong support for the Second Amendment.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-reid-vows-to/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 26, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
TomL

Sen. Reid Beefs up "Base Bill"

Maybe Sen. Reid is acting in the interest of the 2nd Amendment by putting this on the calender knowing it now needs a sponsor(s) Or is he now the sponsor? In any case it might be a ploy to kill the matter until after the mid-terms the thought being it will be doa.
He was there in 1994 so he knows first hand what the AWB94 did to the Dems during mid terms and it has been mentioned many times what Sen. Reids party really wants is total control in the Senate/House. So lets kill this and wait til 2015?
Old March 26, 2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It's next to impossible to read unless you read it line by line with the Schumer bill. It ought to get nixed just because it's so difficult to figure out.
I haven't gone line-by-line, but it looks like the exact same bill. They even kept the word "curtilage."
Old March 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Since when does being able to read a bill matter? Remember the lady from California on Obamacare?

"We'll have to pass it to find out what's in it."
Old March 26, 2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Aikibiker

Here is a link to the bill on POPvox. Please add your oposition to it: https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s649

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old March 26, 2013, 11:09 PM   #13
sholling

It looks like there will be a filibuster by Senators Paul, Cruz, and Lee. Basically they've sent Reid a letter warning him that they plan to block a vote on the bill and there is almost no way that 60 senators are going to publicly vote for cloture with an election less than 18 months away. I'm leaving out the link because it gets into the DC politics but it looks like we should be okay as long as everyone writes their senators regularly.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:44 PM   #14
scrubcedar

I am very, very, happy we kicked Bob Bennett to the curb for Mike Lee. The man actually stands up for what he believes in. I may be headed out of Utah, it's entirely possible I will support his next campaign from another state.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Chaz88

Quote:
Scary bill. I'd like to think this many crazy measures are going to basically kill the bill without any work but who knows.
I am starting to think the crazy measures were intended to kill the bill. The people threatening filibuster are being demonized as baby killers on other sites. I not think it was intended as an attempt to do anything good. It is just more political maneuvering that can be used to beat up gun rights supporters now and later.

I have spent a fare amount of time refuting ridiculous comments and trying to talk about reason and facts on one of the sites today. Most the people just do not care about the reality of the bill. They do not want a rational discussion about it and even though I said nothing that would be overly objectionable on this site nearly all of my opponents and some supporters would be banned from this site quickly.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:42 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Let Senators Paul, Cruz and Lee know you appreciate their strong support for the Second Amendment.
Not only that, contact your own Senators and ask them to join the filibuster. The more the merrier.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #17
dajowi

I live in a "closed" primary state. I am not a Democrat. Oregon Democrats hold a majority 16 seats in the senate and there are 4 Democratic representatives in Congress. These 20 elected individuals (with one exception) are not "gun friendly."

I suspect that most of these folks (who are currently backing, proposing and voting for restrictive and onerous firearm laws) will be coming up for re-election. I suspect that there will be other Democrats who will be attempting to unseat them via a win during the primaries. Although these Democratic challengers may have similar opinions when it comes to firearms and the 2nd amendment, they will have no vote regarding the current proposed legislation heading to congress.

Over the years I've sent hundreds of letters and emails. I don't recall a single Democrat having the courtesy to respond. My supposition is that I wasn't of the "correct" party affiliation or was not in their district. On the other hand, the Republicans did respond, although not all of them.

I do plan on sending letters in regards to Reid's Senate Bill 649 to each of these Democrats. I will also inform them that I'm changing my party affiliation to Democrat in order to vote in the primary. I will be giving one vote to anyone who challenges to unseat the incumbent. The only way to remove these politicians is to vote them out. Apparently the only way to vote them out is to play political games.

If a million pro-gun Republicans became a million registered pro-gun Democrats we would have a stronger voice in this issue.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Marko Rubio suggest his support for Paul, Cruz and Lee.

The Washington Post suggests the Democrats could still get the votes to beat a filly but I don't see the 60. But what do I know.

Old March 28, 2013, 08:48 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Yep, the same Harry Reid that the NRA rated A or better because he got the new Vegas gun range paid for b y Fed money (of course if you follow who owned the land......)
Old March 29, 2013, 01:11 AM   #20
maestro pistolero

Harry Reid is in a very delicate position. We are fortunate to have an advocate in leadership behind enemy lines. NO ONE is in a better position to manipulate our opponents. Until I am proven different, my money's on Harry for this issue.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:17 PM   #21
JimDandy

I'm not sure what to think. I know his record on the issue, and his activities outside his office working with/for creation of the giant shooting park. Then he puts two bills almost all of us gun owners would describe as not-horrible to pretty-good in with S.374. This will either kill the two bills we like, or shove one we REALLY REALLY don't down our throats. There's a no-win there.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Evan Thomas

Keep in mind that if -- and it's a big if -- this bill passes the Senate, it still has to pass the House; it's very unlikely that this, or any, version of universal background checks will pass muster there. Either the whole thing goes down in flames in the House, or they pass a version with, at most, the parts we're more or less OK with. Then the House and Senate have to come to some compromise, which, again, isn't likely to include UBCs.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Webleymkv

As I recall, Reid also said that there would be an open amendment process for this bill. I could see pro-gun senators from both parties amending the bill in such a way as to gut the Schumer UBC provisions and replace it with something more innocuous. This way, Reid could tell his party that he gave gun control the "vote it deserved" without actually passing anything that draws the ire of gun owners and the NRA.