The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Constantine

Glock Stainless Steel Guide Rods

I keep all my Glocks stock. Only thing I change are the sights.

However, I'm starting to look at the SS guide rods...I'm a little iffy seeing as they aren't factory. Or maybe I'm wrong? Does Glock make optional SS guide rod assemblies? If they don't, does anyone have a real life round count with one (or a few) that would settle my mind that they're good to go?

I don't like modifying any mechanisms of my Glocks. I find it unnecessary. This isn't necessarily doing so in my eyes..Unless you think I'm wrong?

I change out my recoil assembly every 5,000rds anyways.

What's your $0.02?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old March 26, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I'm a little iffy seeing as they aren't factory. Or maybe I'm wrong? Does Glock make optional SS guide rod assemblies?
No they don't, they are all currently aftermarket.
But i can't answer the second question and pass it on
Old March 26, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
dogtown tom

I took the Glock Armorers class last June.

One of the recurring stories from the instructor was "if you have failures check the gun for aftermarket parts".

The Glock runs just fine with the factory guide rod.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old March 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Ruger45LC

I too keep mine stock, but there are times when an aftermarket SS guiderod and spring is beneficial. If you are shooting really light "gamer" loads that for whatever reason don't function with factory setup, a lighter spring will help. Or for heavier loads it's good to have more resistance with a heavier spring.

I don't shoot anything light enough to warrant a lighter spring, but when loading up warm .40's or shooting .45 Super I do use a captured stainless steel guide rod with 22lb ISMI spring. With "normal" loads I keep it stock though.

I've had several of them throughout the years and never a problem, so there's no longevity issues.

Repent America!
Old March 26, 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Ozzieman

“Don’t touch perfection.” I hear that so often it makes me laugh.
I agree don’t use anything but Glock parts but the plastic guide rod started wearing on mine and with the suggestion of the Glock factory rep I replaced the plastic one with a Glock factory replacement stainless one.
Do it, it’s an easy upgrade you can do yourself and it only costs 17$
http://www.glockstore.com/glock-fact...-recoil-spring

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old March 26, 2013, 05:58 PM   #6
CUBAN REDNECK

I switched out the plastic guide rod on my Glock 22 when it cracked after about 300 rounds. Haven't had a problem since; I would recommend it as a performance enhancer. Check out the GLOCKSTORE.COM website, they come in different spring weights depending on your shooting needs. SS is far superior to the plastic guide rod.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Constantine

Glock Stainless Steel Guide Rods

Ok. So Glock DOES make a SS guide rod version?

Alright. Think I'm going to give Glock a call soon. Straight from the horses mouth.

When I give them a ring, I'll repost the response here.
Old March 27, 2013, 02:07 AM   #8
Hammerhead

I don't think Glock makes a metal rod.

I like metal rods. I used to run a G-20 with a tungsten guide rod and a 20# spring. The extra weight forward was nice and recoil was reduced. The Tungsten rod weighed over 2 ounces.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:23 AM   #9
jmstr

It appears the OEM Glock SS guide rod in question was for GEN4 Glocks ONLY.

If you have a GEN1-3 Glock, you may be ool with getting an OEM SS guide rod.

I've never heard of OEM SS Gen 3 guide rods. I'd love one.

I bought a Wolff Gunsprings verison. No Problems with it, but I haven't shot my glock much. I got it to be able to 'tune' from the 9mm conversion barrel to .40S&W to warm .357sig loads. I figured it would be good to step up recoil spring weights on each change I made to accommodate the extra power generated in recoil.

But I don't shoot my Glock much, so I can't tell how well it is working, other than no problems yet.