The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 26, 2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Come and take it.

I have yet to see confirmed, fact or otherwise a scientific law which would attest that any gun laws )in this case we are discussing gun restriction laws and not laws which protect freedoms ) have ever prevented crime.

This does not include various peer reviewed articles supporting various hypothesis on the correlation of gun laws and lessoned crime.

Right now we see adults between 18 and 21 denied a right to protect themselves by claiming they have no right to own a handgun at that age. So basically a young lady by herself out in public can easily be checked off by a predator as being someone that at best is armed by pepper spray or a stun gun.

That is sad really. Growing up in the 80s I had in my possession a marlin model 60, a 20 gauge shotgun and a marlin 22 magnum bolt action all at the tender age of 16. At 15 I owned my first gun, a springfield single shot rifle. I stored them in MY room, unsecured in a gun rack. I had my first handgun by my late teens. Was it illegal? I don't know and at the time I frankly didn't care because no one was peeking over my shoulder or taking a 500 dollar payment to turn me in.

Today's societal culture is surreal to a person like me. I have to struggle through culture shock every day. Stuff goes on the likes my generation would have never imagined.

A convicted felon who has done his time has to find a way to protect his family the same as anyone else. Unless of course he is no longer one of the "people". To deny him and his family one of the most basic rights ( a right to life)i.e. a way to protect that life) is a horrible act in my opinion.

Most gun laws do nothing to reduce crime... and we all know it.

Bad guys will get guns even if they have to manufacture a 12 gauge zip gun from a piece of pipe. They will steal if they have to or kill to get one.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:55 PM   #27
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump
Don't know what you are looking at but I found several writeups on the 1837 law and this was the end result.
What you need to read are the actual court opinions. I provided the citation to Nunn, 1 Ga. 243 (1846), and the Georgia Supreme in Nunn upheld the Georgia law banning concealed carry. And in Nunn, the Georgia Supreme Court ruled specifically (at pg 251, emphasis in original):
Quote:
...We are of the opinion, then, that so far as the act of 1837 seeks to suppress the practice of carrying certain weapons secretly, that it is valid,...
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 27, 2013, 12:58 AM   #28
sigcurious

Quote:
Right now we see adults between 18 and 21 denied a right to protect themselves by claiming they have no right to own a handgun at that age.
Except that they can own a handgun, and even carry it local laws permitting...
Old March 27, 2013, 07:56 AM   #29
Webleymkv

Quote:
A convicted felon who has done his time has to find a way to protect his family the same as anyone else. Unless of course he is no longer one of the "people". To deny him and his family one of the most basic rights ( a right to life)i.e. a way to protect that life) is a horrible act in my opinion.
While I do think that, by virtue of being felonies, some crimes are punished disproportionately, in the case of violent crime I would contend that the felon should have thought about the consequences of his actions before he decided to committ the crime. While I don't think it's right to forever ban an income tax evader from owning a gun, I have absolutely zero problem with doing so to a murderer or rapist (of course, it wouldn't be a problem to begin with if we simply stopped turning the murderers and rapists loose).
Old March 27, 2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
What you need to read are the actual court opinions. I provided the citation to Nunn, 1 Ga. 243 (1846), and the Georgia Supreme in Nunn upheld the Georgia law banning concealed carry. And in Nunn, the Georgia Supreme Court ruled specifically (at pg 251, emphasis in original):
I concur but the point of my post was to show that gun control has been with us for 200 years and Georgia's fix of 1877 still left part of the public in the cold. I was pointing out that certain guns could not be sold and that was overturned. You are concentrating on the concealed carry portion. I admit you are right on that and it is just one of many reasons why I say there are no good gun control laws because they will always be discriminatory and only inconvenience the good people not the criminals.

Shall we discuss the Kentucky law now?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 27, 2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump
...Shall we discuss the Kentucky law now?...
Nah. My real point was that then, as now, it was something of a mixed bag.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 27, 2013, 09:04 PM   #32
KyJim

Kentucky case -- that's Bliss v. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. 90, 92 (1822). Under a previous constitution (the state's second), the Court of Appeals (then the state's highest) struck down a statute that prohibited concealed carry while still allowing open carry. The state's third constitution of 1850 retained the right to bear arms subject to the right of the legislature to ban or regulate concealed carry (which is still the same in the current constitution).

While Kentucky was a slave state, there is no indication that the prohibition struck down in 1822 was racially motivated. You're mostly thinking of laws passed in some states post-Civil War. In Kentucky, concealed carry was thought to be cowardly. It may have also contributed to the proliferation of dueling, a historical problem in the state. To this day, the constitutional oath of office includes affirmation that one has not fought a duel nor been a second in one.

I'll just conclude that the state constitutional protections, which the courts enforced in 1822, are part of what makes this a gun friendly state.