The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
marklyftogt

Winchester 92 front sight hard to see (Miroku)

I have a Winchester 1892 in .357 I bought last year that was made by Miroku in Japan. It is a top ejector. It has the tang safety.

My wife and I have a heck of time seeing the front sight on it unless the light is just right.

Have any of you found a way to replace the front sight so it is more visible?

Most of the solutions I have seen won't work with the top ejector (ghost ring rear) or tang safety (tang sights cannot mount).

It is an awesome shooting gun if we can see the sights

(No..."that is what you get for not buying an American made one" are necessary...I couldn't find one )
Old July 23, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Hawg

Fingernail polish. I changed my rear sight out to a full buckhorn and use it as a ghost ring.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
PetahW

If the front sight's dovetail mounted, it can be easily replaced with a much more visible fibre-optic bead front sight blade, available in the same 2 sizes as Ivory/Gold beads (1/16"-Fine & 3/32"-Coarse), and at least 3 colors depending on one's color perception (red, amber, green, yellow, etc), from the likes of Williams (FireSights), TruGlo, Hi-Viz & T/C.

FWIW, a Lyman 66 or Williams 5D or FP peep sight can be side mounted via D/T 2 holes in the LH receiver sidewall just like real Winchesters had.

The Williams 5D-94AE or FP-94AE top-mounted peep can be mounted via D/T'ing 1 hole in the top of each receiver sidewall.

(Below, on a .357 Model 92)

If you go with a peep sight, don't forget to ditch the bbl's rear iron/open sight for a clean sight picture - and fill the empty slot with a commercial slot filler blank, or fashion one from the dovetail section of an old longleaf rear sight blade.

IIRC, Marble's makes tang peep sights which accommodate tang safeties.

Last edited by PetahW; July 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM.