The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
RoosterBooster3632

SIG SAUER 516 PATOL 5.56mm

Anyone have any experience with this AR? I have a Bushmaster Carbon 15 and I was thinking of maybe selling it and purchasing this rifle. Was talking with an individual who stated they had one and that it was a really great rifle.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:19 PM   #2
BillyJack3

Are you set on moving to a piston system? It's a solid rifle and would definitely be an upgrade from the Carbon15 but there are a lot of options out there.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Patriot86

One of my buddies at work has one and likes it. For the money IMO its better to go.to a rifle that was deaigned as a piston gun from the ground up like the SIG556 orSCAR 16.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
EdInk

I had a SIG556 it was decent but they are plagued with QC issues. Sig will fix them but not quickly. The Sig 516 in my experience is a better rifle but IMHO the whole piston AR thing is over-rated. Also, I would consider an H&K or Ruger piston upper. If it were me, I would just get a nicer DI model and be done with it. LWRC, VLtor and obviously Colt all make awesome ARs/parts.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Patriot86

What EdInk said, an HK416 upper would be worth the money too. If you are going to go Piston then why not go all the way? If I ever get the itch I think I will be scratching it with the Hk416

The main issue as has been pointed out; just about every manufacturers Pistol system is a little different in an "AR" pattern rifle. Meaning parts can be hard to come by and if say ruger ever goes under, well I hope you have a pile o parts. Where as the classic AR-15 DI design parts are not only almost wholly interchangeable, but I wouldn't be surprised if my grand children could still find/buy AR's with the classic DI system.

Also, the older 556's did have some QC issues, so far not too many complains about the newer models. Mine runs like a nail gun, it just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting! Before the insanity you could buy one for under $1,100.00 where as a pistol AR started out a few hundred dollars higher.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:57 PM   #6
wardog709

I have had my Sig 516 for about 2 years and I love it. I would recommend it but good luck finding one now, at least not in SC.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
eskinny

I own a sig 516, sig 716, sig 556R, and Ruger 556, it is safe to say I have drank the piston driven kool aid. I love the 516, it runs like a sewing machine. I got into a situation where we were helicopter hog hunting and had three guys grabbing mags out of the same bag all shooting AR's, lots of mixed ammo most of it as cheap as you can get. Shot like crazy, emptying 30 round mags like nobodies business, out of all of us only me and a guy shooting an operator had no problems. Further to the point of the piston gun, the ruger 556 with a slidefire is the coolest thing ever on pigs.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #8
dakota.potts

Second hand experience

I shared a range bench with a guy today who was shooting his 716. He could not make it cycle. Out of roughly 23 rounds 7 failed to cycle properly. He said he did some research online and had heard 716's and 516's having this issue. Although he also found that they had released a 516 "Gen 2" that supposedly fixed this issue.

Again, just something I heard.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:50 PM   #9
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have had hands on the 516. I put <100 rounds through one. It was a very good shooting rifle. When it came down to choosing my piston gun, I still picked the Hk. Not saying it was better, I have actually have been searching for a 516 to add to the collection. From my personal hands on I really like the Hk (416 & MR556 both), the Sig 516, and the Ruger 556. I have yet to get trigger time with an LWRC, but have heard nothing but great things about their setups. Either way, pick which one you want and be happy with it. All have had an issue or two, but all back their products very well and have good service.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old April 14, 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
LED

I owned a 516. It is a quality rifle. I think the major distinguishing feature is the adjustable piston. If you shut it off, with a can attached it is whisper quiet. It adjusts to bad environment and even ammo.

That said, it ran a cleaner chamber than a regular AR but overall cleaning time was about same. I found it nose heavy compared to a DI rifle. Part of that was the quad forend. I wanted to replace it because did not need any barnacles to attach, but was told by SIG CS it's integral to the upper. The trigger was good. I replaced it with the excellent Wilson Combat trigger. All in all, I don't particularly care whether it's piston or not, I don't shoot benchrest, and I find a regular AR better balanced. Still a quality rifle, great for someone who needs that kind.

Edit: I left the accuracy out because it is up to the shooter.

Last edited by LED; April 14, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:12 PM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

I had one.. Excellent rifle in all respects... Completely reliable, ran cleaner than a DI gun and was very accurate... The only thing wrong with it out of the box was the trigger was stiff and slightly gritty... That was easily cured with an aftermarket trigger...

I sold it to add to a down payment on a new Silverado... No seller's remorse as it was more of a plinking toy than anything else..