The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
balderclev

50 Beowulf

Anyone shoot 50 Beowulf on an AR platform?

I think all I need is an upper and I would be good to go. Anyone reloading this cartridge?
Old March 25, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Seismic Sam

Due diligence before you buy

If I were you, I'd hold off on any purchases and start digging on the internet and looking for the lawsuits associated with this cartridge. It was invented by two guys who later broke up very acrimouniously, and came up with two seperate names for the same case. One was the deceased .499 Leitner-Wise, and th other was the 50 Beo. have you actually ever handled one of these cases?? It's grotesque, and the area of the case head is barely 50% of the area of the case body, so you know what happens when you put all that back thrust during firing on that tiny little case head?? If you dig deep, you may be able to find some of the reports of full-on case head collapses.

Also supposedly an action by the company who made the cases for the 50 Beo to legally prove that they had followed the blueprints exactly, and they were not legally liable for failures with this design.

I shoot a Tromix Sledgehammer that eats 50AE ammo, and the relatively big 44 magnum rims on the 50AE still take a pretty good beating, but they manage to survive. The case head of the 50 Beo is the same size as a 7.62x39 case, and the only reason the case was made like that is that 7.62x39 bolts were readily available for AR platorms, rather than the custom made bolt assembly on my 50 Tromix.

You have two choices that work, and while they aren't 50 caliber they are very serious cartridges that will stand up to the pressure and make you beg for a muzzle brake. The older is the 458 SOCOM, designed by Marty Ter Weem (Teppo Jutsu LLC) after the Mogadishu fiasco, and the newer is the 450 Bushmaster by the company of the same name. Good luck and keep your six covered!!
Old March 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
balderclev

Thanks for the heads-up Sam. I'll look into that.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I bought a box of cartridges long ago, when you could get them, just for cartridge collection fodder... as already mentioned, the rim is much smaller than it should be... I'd expect mild loads to be OK, but anything approaching warm is a recipe for disaster...