The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 04:13 PM   #51
orangello

Ma..Mar...Mahr...Mahgin...lil help, I was too broke to work on my diction down heah.

I hope you passed some seriously irreverent gas their way.

[Southern, white (mostly Irish, but still), BSBA, MPA, but not rich]
Old March 25, 2013, 05:08 PM   #52
FrosSsT

Psht Im 21 and from NJ. And white? Only in the winter...i hate sunburn
Old March 25, 2013, 06:11 PM   #53
WIN1886

Reminds me of a rather arrogant gent that told me how barbaric and stupid hunters were while watching him eat an expensive steak coming from a slaughtered animal ! If these folks don't participate in or enjoy hunting , competitive or informal target shooting , and the right to defend themselves & others....that is their choice but don't tread on my rights as an American sportsman !

Last edited by WIN1886; March 25, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #54
Dashunde

Quote:
I hope you passed some seriously irreverent gas their way.
haha... yea, give them a good ol' country boy "crop dusting" on the way out.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:33 PM   #55
David13

I don't know how many times at a restaurant I have picked up my fork and plate, and trotted off to another table.
Or gone down a different aisle at the supermarket, or changed my seat a a coffee shop.
If it don't feel right, smell right, talk right, and act right, I'm gone.
dc
Old March 27, 2013, 12:54 AM   #56
-Xero-

Henri Matisse once said that, if he had a choice between saving a priceless Rembrandt from a fire, or saving a cat, he would have to save the cat.

To stretch that metaphor a bit here --

Given the choice between trying to save these people from their mis-guided, mis-informed, self-righteous error, I'd save the cat and let them burn in Hell.

Old March 27, 2013, 12:58 AM   #57
-Xero-

Quote:
I don't know how many times at a restaurant I have picked up my fork and plate, and trotted off to another table. Or gone down a different aisle at the supermarket, or changed my seat a a coffee shop. If it don't feel right, smell right, talk right, and act right, I'm gone.
This is MY coffee house, MY table, MY corner. They're on MY turf, and I probably have enough Kharma in my account here to have them struck by lightning and have it viewed as an act of Divine Grace.

Old March 27, 2013, 01:16 AM   #58
Buzzcook

Quote:
Given the choice between trying to save these people from their mis-guided, mis-informed, self-righteous error, I'd save the cat and let them burn in Hell.

So being on the wrong side of a political argument rates eternity in hell fire?
Old March 27, 2013, 05:24 AM   #59
Tinner666

Well, you can't convert a Baptist to a Catholic, or whatever religion you want to compare. It may be possible to convert somebody that thinks they belong in the herd instead of being a protector of the herd.
I'll continue to quietly bring them around without just dismissing them. If I can, it adds numbers to the shepherds. More shepherds, more safety.
Schooling is what it'll take if we don't want to alienate all the non owners. Some I've educated still don't own any firearms, but they don't run out in hysteria voting to ban them either.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:31 AM   #60
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:

So being on the wrong side of a political argument rates eternity in hell fire?
How about just having to watch all the episodes of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?
Old March 27, 2013, 06:56 AM   #61
vito

There seems to be few topics where ignorance fails to subdue opinions like guns. And since most folks do NOT own guns (at least around here) there is a lot of ignorance to spread around, which does not seem to stop people from "knowing" about guns. On another website I saw the numbers of people by county who have a FOID card (here in IL you must have a Firearms Owner Identification Card to own, buy or even handle guns or ammo) and in my county, about 90 miles from Chicago, just about 10% of the population has a FOID card. That means 90% of the people are reacting almost solely out of emotion. This is why, despite most of America having legally concealed carry, many people here in IL are still saying things like "if people could legally carry guns there would be gunfights everywhere and it would be the Wild West" or words to that effect. And most ironically, here in a state that is rife with corruption and gross government ineptitude, when I mention that one of the reasons I oppose gun registration is that I do not trust the government, I am looked at as some sort of nut or fanatic that is beyond help. Of course, this is the same state that STILL worships Obama despite what is happening to the country. I hate Illinois.