The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
jj320

superformance powder

Anyone using superformance powder in .243 looking to find anyone with load data for 55gr varmegaden. no load data on hodgdon site
Old March 23, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
iraiam

It is my understanding that the newest Hornaday manual has recipes for the superformace powder in various calibers. I haven't bought the manual yet, so I can't say for sure about .243.

I have been trying to buy that powder for months, If I can ever get my hands on some of it, I'll buy the new Hornaday manual.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 23, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Boomer58cal

Superformance powder is somewhat new and a bit odd. From what I understand it is specific to the loads listed on it. Meaning there are several types of Supf blended for specific cartridges. I don't know for sure. Your best bet would be getting the Hornady 9th reloading manual and working up a load based of a similar bullet. Start low and work up slowly. Please report back any findings as I like to know what you find. Good luck.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
acb

Looking in new hornady manual they don't have load for 55 grain for 243 they start at 58 gn they have a 80 gn load that uses superformance and a 95-100 gn bullet recipie
Old March 23, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
McShooty

I agree with Boomer that Superformance is a bit odd and it seems that Hornady and Hodgdon's have been vague and mysterious in the info they have shared. I bought a pound of Superformance powder, and I have tried Hornady's Superformance .300 Savage factory load. The .300 Savage load gave 130 fps higher velocity than a Remington 150-gr load in my Remington 722, so Hornady's claims of increased velocity hold up. Upon dismantling a round I found 44.7 grains of a dark gray, flattened ball powder that appeared to be identical to the Superformance powder that I had previousy purchased. But of course, you can't rely on visual comparison. So, I don't know if there is more than one Superformance powder or not. To me, it does not seem that a powder that gives excellent performance in a small, 30-caliber case with 150-gr bullet, e.g. the .300 Savage, would also work with, say, a .300 Win Mag and a 180-grain bullet. Or even the .30-06 with heavier bullets? I am going to be very interested in viewing the Superformance loads they list in the new Hornady Manual.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:52 AM   #6
jj320

hodgdon has three calibers listed on bottle and when you look on their web site they list 3 bullet types only for the 243 . i will try and work a load up and repost thanks for all the help
Old March 24, 2013, 12:45 PM   #7
two 70

poor performance

I recently experimented with superformance reloads for my friends Model 700 .243. His favorite load for velocity and accuracy is 40 gr of Varget with a 75 gr Hornady Vmax, consistant 2-3" at 300 yd. The listed 49gr superformance from the bottle with the same vmax bullet were not very impressive. Dismal accuracy and velocity no where near the bottle claim of 3510. This was just a visual guesstimation, no chrono, but the superformance hit 1 to 2" low at 100 and off the paper low vertically at 300 when compared to the Varget loads. May be due the short barrel on the 700 but I have found very little support for this powder on various forums. Off the bench the audio/visual effect was alarming. Lots of boom and flash so I presume a lot of powder not being burned in the barrel. No excessive pressure indicated on brass.

Gun Control is not having to say I missed you.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
SVTCobra306

I'm going to stay tuned in to this if I can, I also picked up a can of Superformance and have a .243.

I may end up trying the 75 and 80 grain loads, maybe by then more will pop up, who knows?
Old March 25, 2013, 06:33 AM   #9
jj320

i am using 70grn speer tnt . i have 3 loads ready to try 47/47.5/48 i am visiting my son at fort hood and we are going to a range while we are there. so when we shoot them i will post the results. Might try some loads with 55grn varmagedon. think i am going to start at 47.5 grns . the starting load on 65grn is 49grn . does 47.5 sound to low.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:12 PM   #10
SVTCobra306

Loaded up a few .243's with 100 grain Hornady SP Boat Tails over 39.7 grains of Superformance tonight per my Hornady manual, I'll report back with results out of my Savage 11 tomorrow.. though it's cold so I won't go too far into load development just yet, and unfortunately I don't have a chrony yet so I won't have velocity results, just accuracy and pressure signs.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:33 AM   #11
myfriendis410

I have an old Model 700 BDL, 22 inch barrel, that likes the 80gr. Barnes TTSX. My working load was with RL19 at a max charge and produced 1/2" groups for 3 rounds at a chronographed 3,320 fps, 10 feet from the muzzle. I loaded up some using the same bullet and Superformance powder and found a load, at max, that gave the same level of accuracy. The chronograph produced a velocity figure of 3,650 fps!

I have since killed a couple of hogs and coyotes with it; one was a 40 lb. piglet at a dead run and hit it broadside in the brisket--blew a fist sized hole all the way through. Later that day I whacked a coyote at about 100 yards and it literally exploded. A couple of months ago I plugged a good boar at 175 yards and when I shot saw dirt kick up behind him. He ran fifty yards and fell over dead. Hit him perfect and it did a fine job with a quarter sized exit wound. The bullet turned his insides into pudding. Excellent performance on animals.

I see no pressure signs, the brass falls out of the gun. I emailed Hodgdon about additional cartridge listings and they said: "The loads already listed are the only ones that will EVER be listed. No benefit was derived from other cartridges tested with this particular Superformance propellant". Hornady uses others but apparently they will not be released for loading.

I have since been working with one of my hunting buddies developing a load in the .300 wsm in his Model 70 Custom Deluxe. The Barnes 168 gr. TTSX loaded with Superformance is giving velocities just shy of 3,300 fps with a recommended book maximum load and sub 1" groups for 3 shots at 100. That's ALMOST .300 win mag performance out of a short mag. Overall I'm impressed. Obviously your rifle will tell you if it likes it.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:53 PM   #12
jmstr

I called Hodgdon about the SuperPerformance powder, specifically for my .300Savage Model 99.

They explained that the Superperformance powder they have is a specific blend, that works VERY well for a VERY FEW calibers of rifles.

I asked about the .300Savage, as I have some SuperPerfmance Hornady ammo for it, and assumed I could get load data for it.

They informed me that Hornady blends 32 or 37 [the guy kept trying to remember, and saying 'one of the two numbers'] powders together to achieve their SuperPerformance ammo rounds.

HOWEVER, the Hodgdon Superperfomance powder is a blend of 2 [or a few more, but MUCH LESS] powders, that works best for the calibers they list it for.

What I got was that Hornady uses the term SuperPerformance for the ammo, but that all of the different Hornady SuperPerformance ammo loads use different powder blends. In other words, there is no 'universal' Superperformance powder used in the SuperPerformance ammo line.

I thanked the man, who spent a LONG time explaining all of this to me, in different ways, without attempting to rush me. He was very both courteous and helpful, without any sense of rushing me.

I was sad, but it makes sense. I don't expect every different caliber of Hornady's Whitetail lineup to use the same powder. I don't expect every single caliber of Core-Loc Remington rifle bullets to use the same powder. So I shouldn't expect every single Hornady Superperformance ammo caliber to use the same blend of powders.

Even if there is a powder named 'SuperPerformance'.

I'm sad, but wiser.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Cary

jmstr,
Thanks for sharing that information with us.
Cary
Old June 6, 2013, 09:36 PM   #14
SVTCobra306

My testing isn't done yet, but for a .243 it looks actually promising for 75 grain rounds, but it's being outperformed by my newly acquired IMR 4064 in the 100 grain SP's.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #15
reynolds357

Superformance burns a bit slow for the 55.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:49 AM   #16
johno1

G'day Fellas, just stumbled across this thread whilst researcing this powder.
I to have a 300 savage, rem 600 with a 722 barrel. I have written to Hodgdon regarding a load a load for the 300 sav, its disappointing that those of us who enjoy the 300 can't get a powder to duplicate the hornady round.

Appreciate hearing if you have done any more research.

Thanks
Johno
Old September 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #17
steve4102

The misconception here is that all Hornady Superformance ammo is loaded with Hodgdon Superformance powder. It is not, it can't be. Superformance powder has a burn rate slower than 4831, much to slow for the 300 Savage and other cartridges like the 223 Rem.
Old September 22, 2013, 06:07 PM   #18
iraiam

Quote:
The misconception here is that all Hornady Superformance ammo is loaded with Hodgdon Superformance powder. It is not, it can't be. Superformance powder has a burn rate slower than 4831, much to slow for the 300 Savage and other cartridges like the 223 Rem.
You are correct, but the misconception is frankly, a real mess, between the name of the powder and advertisements such as this, and this, it's no wonder there is such confusion.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; September 23, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 06:46 PM   #19
SonOfGun

I purchased a Savage M25 in 17 Hornet and am impressed with ballistics using Hornady Superformance ammo. I thought I should reload the same as Hornady factory ammo, wrong! I bought a pound of Hodgdon Superformance powder, it is not even close to being the correct powder for 17 Hornet. I assume there is more than one type of Superformance powder for Hornady's ammo.
Old September 23, 2013, 06:21 PM   #20
iraiam

Quote:
I assume there is more than one type of Superformance powder for Hornady's ammo.
Yes, most likely a proprietary blend for each caliber or class of calibers, it's not uncommon for commercial ammo makers to use proprietary powders.

I have been trying to duplicate the Superformance 5.56 NATO 75 grain match ammo, unsuccessfully thus far, although I blame that partially on the lack of powders I want to try, namely AA2230.

Old September 24, 2013, 04:25 AM   #21
steve4102

Quote:
I have been trying to duplicate the Superformance 5.56 NATO 75 grain match ammo, unsuccessfully thus far, although I blame that partially on the lack of powders I want to try, namely AA2230.
IMO 2230 is a bit on the fast side for the heavy 75gr Nato loads. If you must try it, you can use Ramshot X-Terminator also as they are identical powders.

If you can find them, I would give Tac or AA 2520 a try.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...pec_7-2-13.pdf