The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 28, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Cought the AK Bug

So I recently took my WASR-10 out to the range (it finally quit raining here...) and I had a blast. I got lucky with my WASR, no mag problems and I don't think the front sight is canted at all. Long story short I kinda can't wait to get another one.

My idea is this, to keep my WASR as a kind of "original" AK/AKM with wood stock, slanted muzzle break, etc. Then I want to get a commercial AK-74 in 5.45x39 that is as close to a modern day AK as possible, I think its called an AK-74M even.

The one I have my eyes on is an Arsenal SLR-105A1R, I really like that one but I have been told they have been discontinued. I have also looked at some from Waffen Werks and Vepr.

Can anyone help me with reviews of various models/brands of AK-74s?
Old April 28, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
LED

The Vepr is a sporting rifle on a beefed up AK platform, not mil spec. It is a heavy hunting rifle. Waffen Werks, if I remember correctly, uses polymer furniture. (That may be, I am just guessing, because the East German AKs had it). Truth is, it is hard to find a truly authentic Russian-everything AKM, even semi-auto. The WASR may not be the most glamorous AK but it is about as close to the army issue (Romania) as they get.

If you want a better modern rifle, Arsenal has a long menu.

P.S. The Soviet AKs are still re-sold on the internet but are insanely expensive.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Venom1956

I have the Russian based Arsenal SGL-31 which is fantastic. They no longer make them @ arsenal another company makes them but their name escapes me @ the moment. The higher end ones have the Folding stock but I wanted a fixed one for my first AK.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4
plouffedaddy

Sure.

Iron Clad Armory AK74 Review

Waffen Werks Review

Krebs Custom AK-103 Review

VEPR 12 Review

CIA Tantal Review

How to inspect a WASR (or any AK variant really)

I have a lot more stuff on the channel but that should get you started
Old April 28, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
plouffedaddy

Quote:
I have the Russian based Arsenal SGL-31 which is fantastic. They no longer make them @ arsenal another company makes them but their name escapes me @ the moment. The higher end ones have the Folding stock but I wanted a fixed one for my first AK.
FIME
Old April 28, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Venom1956

^^^ plouffedaddy. I knew he'd be along to give you some learning. I wanted to say HIME but I knew that wasn't right. FIME is it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.