The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 03:44 PM   #26
PSP

Quote:
loose_holster_dan, What you say is true, but my wife really didn't care about not being able to get the full power loads (I would have liked to though).
Elite ammo makes a very hot and potent round. The "original ammo" simply had a penetrator, which is deemed by the BATF as illegal. Otherwise the ammo available to civilians now is still quite lethal. Not all ammo used by the LE and military units that use the 5.7 weapons are the penetrators, (armour piercing), as regular ballistic tipped ammo does an excellent job in it's own right. Both tiny rounds, the 5.7x28 and 4.6x30 are used extensively against bad guys very successfully.

Federal is supposed to be producing practice, ie: cheap, ammo. Both FN and Hornady produce high quality ammo. It is for some reason hard to get now. During the last ammo shortage, 5.7 was one of the few rounds we could still find in quantity and for good prices.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:02 PM   #27
thedudeabides

No one is debating the Five seveN's awesomeness as much as its viability.

For a while it was so popular, HK was considering their own UCP as a direct competitor.

What kills guns like the Five seveN off is that you can't get ammo for it. Reloading isn't that easy, either, and some people would argue that the casing might fail catastrophically if you reload it more than once. This is all anecdotal, BTW.

It's a great curiosity, fun to shoot, and well built. I've shot a 5-7. It was awesome. I wanted one, then the reality set in.

As the years have worn on, nearly all of my guns have become 45 ACP. Why? Because of the 1911, it's easy to shoot, it's always easy to find, and it's pretty easy to reload (even for an idiot like me).
Old March 27, 2013, 05:58 PM   #28
alex0535

To the person cringing at helping convince him that the 5.7 isn't the best option, I hate ever discouraging someone from buying a firearm. They should know what they are getting into buying the one of least practical modern handguns in terms of ammo availability and cost.

It is an awesome handgun, I really like just about everything about it, except for the cost and availability of ammo in the foreseeable future.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:42 PM   #29
DarthPaul

There was a post (was it SmokinSigs?) mentioning a "debate" between the virtues of 5.7x28mm vs .22WMR. There should be no debate. There is no competition. I'm sorry, but those who think there is, have been misled deliberately by people who are either down on the 5-7 or are trying to sell a Kel-Tec.

The only way to get ballistics like a 5.7x28mm handgun (the Five-SeveN) from a 40-gr .22 Mag bullet is to fire it out of a 24" rifle barrel. A pistol-length barrel will generally be 1/6 that length or less for a compact handgun. Ballistics will be correspondingly less impressive. Also, there is no such thing (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) as a .22 Magnum Vmax bullet- the one with the polymer tip which is engineered to drill into the target about 3" and then mushroom in a rather impressive way. This actually works, you can see the tests.

.22 Magnum is a straight-case rimfire round made for varminting. (The straight case is how Kel-Tec squeezes 30 rounds into a mag.) 5.7mm is essentially a shortened .223 Remington made for NATO to replace the 9mm Parabellum in SMGs and sidearms for the foreseeable future.

I'm not trying to make anybody's mind up for them, so don't trust what I have to say either. Do your own research, the facts are out there about both calibers. I just know that my mind is made up and I know which one I'm packing (when I'm not carrying one of my SIGs).
Old April 1, 2013, 07:55 AM   #30
mes228

FN

A friend I shoot with, has had both the FN rifle (space looking thing) and pistol in 5.7. I've shot them both extensively. Before I say this, I need to say that I LOVE FN products and have two currently. However, the FN plastic pistol in 5.7 he had was not accurate at all. I'd rank it as one of the most inaccurate pistols I remember shooting. Other than that it was very pleasant. Long story short, he sold off the rifle and pistol but kept the ammo (several thousand rounds). The FN scope on the rifle was an expensive joke also.

Now here's the interesting part. He recently traded for a Masterpiece Arms 5.7 "drug dealer/gangsta" looking thing. As he still has thousands rounds in 5.7. It looks like the Cobray or the MAC 10 type "machine pistol" looking firearm. The Masterpiece sells for approx. $500. All the MAC's and Cobrays I've seen were jam-o-matics and inaccurate. THE MASTERPIECE IS ASTOUNDING. Hundreds of rounds and it's utterly reliable. Will shoot 1" groups at 25 yards easily. He put an Eotech on the thing and it's unbelievably accurate and easy to use. I have to say it's the most surprising firearm I've seen in a long time. The thing is a jaw dropping good combo. I still don't know what you do with a combo like that. Unless you are in the Secret Service on Presidential guard duty. Just thought I'd pass this along for those interested in the 5.7 caliber. Also the Masterpiece accepts standard FN mags both 20 and 30 rounds.
Old April 2, 2013, 03:56 AM   #31
ZIA

Lucky woman, those are some fun guns to shoot. A little too expensive for my taste in terms of the fiveseven itself and the ammo but still very fun.
Old April 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #32
hulley

I had several different rounds by Elite Ammo and that stuff was awesome! The fireball it produced would put my 2.25" 357mag to shame. As far as accuracy goes, I used to hit cans at 80yds pretty easy. I honestly miss that gun and if it werent for the ammo price/availability it would still be in my safe.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:30 PM   #33
CurlyQ.Howard

mes228, Thanks for the tip; it forced me to do a search, and the Masterpiece Arms 5.7 video on Youtube gave me quite a surprise. The gun shot well, but I really don't like it's looks at all. Is it me, or should a firearm at least in some way be pleasing to look at? This particular weapon reminds me of the homemade barbell set my father welded together for me back in 1960 (metal pipe, four five gallon metal fuel cans, and crushed rock). Yes, it would build muscle for anybody who used it, but to use it I first had to stop laughing.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:35 AM   #34
DarthPaul

It's not just you, Curly. Ironic that the company is named "Masterpiece". I have not seen many things looking less like a work of art.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:37 AM   #35
mes228

Masterpiece

I know the Masterpiece 5.7 is hard to look at. And it escapes me what exactly you would use it for. However, it is so accurate and reliable it borders on incredible. With the Eotech on it I was shooting groups of 1" or so offhand at 25 yards consistently. Absolutely no recoil either.

I think that if you installed a single point sling. And adjusted it to where you could "push" against it in the arm extended method to be even more stable. You could have well over usable 100 yard accuracy, maybe even 150/200. The Eotech or a Micro Red Dot makes the combo exceptional. With 30 round mags that's a WHOLE LOT OF FIREPOWER thats usable in a pint size package. Just my opinion but I've shot the combo a few hundred rounds. I was amazed.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:21 AM   #36
PSP

Quote:
I know the Masterpiece 5.7 is hard to look at.
The Excel isn't hard on the eyes. I'd look at one to buy were I in the market and didn't already have a FN.

Old April 3, 2013, 02:44 PM   #37
Jacobie

Ammo is out there at a decent price, I picked up a few thousand rounds last week for under .50 cents a round.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:35 PM   #38
CurlyQ.Howard

Where? I've been looking since I last found some at the end of December, and I've yet to find any more.

Last edited by CurlyQ.Howard; April 3, 2013 at 06:21 PM.