The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 28, 2013, 09:26 PM   #26
Mobuck

Normally, you can just run the lubed .338 cases into the 308 Norma sizing die. You need to make some careful adjustments so that the formed cases fit very snugly in the chamber for the initial firing. Otherwise the cases can/will stretch creating a hazardous case failure situation. Size the parent case only enough to allow closing the bolt with thumb pressure. Lube the bolt lugs so you don't gall the lugs and recesses. You want the bolt to close with resistance indicating the case is contacting the sholder of the chamber rather than just being held by the extractor.
After sizing, you'll need to trim the case mouths. The cases formed from 338 may come out slightly under minimum length in which case you should trim all cases to the length of the shortest case in the lot for consistency.
I honstly can't remember how much has to be cut from 300 cases but you'll have to cut off some before sizing or the parent case neck will contact the upper end of the Norma sizing die.
I actually made more cases from 300 H&H than I did from 338 after I scored a good deal on a lot of H&H brass and that is much more tedious than using 338 as the parent.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:16 AM   #27
mattL46

Not trying to be a bother but do you mind detailing these careful adjustments you speak of. This case forming is a first for me. How do I get a good snug fit? If its too loose? Is it a matter of slightly running the die in deeper?
Old March 31, 2013, 08:49 PM   #28
Mobuck

You want the formed case to fit the chamber snugly in the shoulder area rather than having that dimension loose and the case supported by the belt. You'll have to make this adjustment by trial and error until the bolt will just barely close with moderate force. In this way, your formed cases will achieve best fit in your chamber and provide the longest life. This adjustment is made by incrementally pushing the parent case further into the 308 Norma sizer.
Most reloading manuals go into detail regarding maintaining proper headspace on belted magnum cases(preventing case separations).
Old April 1, 2013, 01:29 PM   #29
mattL46

Good info mobuck. Once I gather all the materials I may have to check back for help. Thank you!