The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 2, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
mattL46

remington 03a3 question

OK folks this might be a tough one. The local gun store has a Remington 03 in 30-06 thing is someone has tried to make the military barrel a sporter tapered barrel. By way of machining the step out of it. ( that's what I assume) anyway it was a terrible job. You can sight down the length of the tube and it looks like an ocean... Doesn't appear to have been an over pressure screw up for the bore looks decent but I guess anything could have happened. Any who price tag is $470 which I feel like is way too much for an action considering the barrell is going in the trash if I were to buy it. What do you guys think. Everything else seems excellent. What would you offer?
Old April 2, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Pat T

Matt-

Completed auctions that actually sold on GB for 03A3 Remington receivers look like less than $100 for that. If the stock has been likewise mutilated then then IMHO the only real value is the receiver and trigger group if that hasn't been clobbered. I'd offer them $50 and be willing to dicker up to $75, but then I love messing with people.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
mattL46

I saw some complete actions with trigger group going for upwards of 180. I would pay that actually. But not much more
Old April 2, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
kraigwy

Quote:
someone has tried to make the military barrel a sporter tapered barrel. By way of machining the step out of it. ( that's what I assume) anyway it was a terrible job.
First off, the '03 barrel is tapered, it doesn't have any steps.

If you were to provide pictures I could probably tell more about the rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 2, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
mattL46

Kraigwy I wondered about that because any one I've ever seen sporter or otherwise didn't appear to be stepped. Well if that wasn't the case I don't know what the hell they've done to it. Doesn't appear to be over pressured. But it very well might have naked eye in the bore looks clean and straight. Could be any number of things.