The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Barnacle Brad

It's Crazy! 9mm dies $$$

I was looking to see what 9mm dies are going for, in preparation for a sell/trade transaction and man what a shock!

Midwayusa is out of stock - new price for carbide dies $50...

EBAY sellers are getting up to $90 for USED dies...

I resisted the urge to exploit the circumstance and have found a party to trade me straight across for .44 mag dies I need. Good swap!

(I am having separation anxieties I must confess)

EDIT: I am not looking for dies to purchase - somehow that has gotten lost in this thread. I am merely commenting on the HIGH PRICES PEOPLE ARE PAYING and SELLERS ARE RECEIVING on ebay. I am not saying there are not bargains out there if you research. Thanks!

Last edited by Barnacle Brad; March 21, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old March 20, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Hoosier_Daddy

If you haven't been looking at reloading supply's since October 2012, yes you are experiencing sticker shock. Plan your trade/sale accordingly.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
chiefr

I would wait. 9mm is one of the more popular handgun calibers for reloading. Carbide dies will cost more. Steel will cost around 35.
It is no secret the AWB has failed. Prices will normalize and stocks will return.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4
BoogieMan

chiefr@ I hope your right. Im in NJ and I can tell you that guns and ammo are near imposable to find in quantity. At least most of my LGS's restricted buying so that they can give some to all there customers. I just went to a show in NC over the weekend. ALL except one seller were price gouging. $42 for 9mm ball, $50 for a brick of 22lr, etc.. I ended up buying 2 boxes of 303 at $19ea. Gunbroker prices IMO give a pretty fair estimate of the overall state of the union. I have enough reloading supplies to see me through the next couple of months. I am short on 30-06 and 22lr but other than that I can keep myself busy.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
It is no secret the AWB has failed.

What? The Average White Band? Failed?

No doubt the stocks will come back and prices go back to normal. I just can't believe people will pay the high prices.

I listed my 9mm dies on a swap page yesterday and have made a deal for the dies I need without spending a dime.

Panic buying only rewards the price-gougers. Very little common sense being used....
Old March 21, 2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Hammerhead

In a couple months there will be guys selling their dies on Ebay for half what they paid when they realize they really aren't into reloading and just bought them out of panic.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Fire_Moose

Re: It's Crazy! 9mm dies $$$

I found a 2 die RCSB 308 set for 40 bucks. In stock at Amazon. With the free shipping, I got it in 2 days
Old March 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Barnacle Brad

A guy posted on FB "in search of 223 ammo, reasonable price". What is reasonable in a climate where you can't find it?
Old March 21, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
jason75979

Re: It's Crazy! 9mm dies $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle Brad View Post
A guy posted on FB "in search of 223 ammo, reasonable price". What is reasonable in a climate where you can't find it?
I would say whatever he's WILLING to pay.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Barnacle Brad

Indeed! But what do I do with an 'arm and a leg'???
Old March 21, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Talking about the highest price listed on an auction site really isn't the real world. There are several sets of Lee 9mm dies on eBay, going for $30 and under and quite a few with ending prices under $35.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Barbicatter

The folks paying outrageous prices for equipment just aren't good shoppers. Products at reasonable prices are out there, folks just have to resist the "I want it now" mentality and be willing to do a little extra research.

If you are not particularly in love with the 9mm dies you have, go for it and sell them. Save the proceeds and buy the ones you want later.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In a couple months there will be guys selling their dies on Ebay for half what they paid when they realize they really aren't into reloading and just bought them out of panic.
Around here, they'll be trying to sell them for more than they paid.
Standard procedure here, apparently....

"It's worth more now, because -I- owned it!"

You can find the occasional good deal, but people seem to list their used gear for about 10-15% below MSRP ... which is, of course, much higher than actual retail.

Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse have a Lee reloading kit for $100?
You'll find it in the local classifieds for $150.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:44 PM   #14
RC20

Nothing wrong with maximizing your return if you can.

On the other hand it sounds like a good swap. If you want 9mm carbide then just keep a scan going and buy them when you find them at the right price, Ebay, Gunbrokers or....... You will find a decent price on used ones at some point (even NIB that have not been used)

I sold a black rifle in the madness that I was not using. I made $400 on it, rather than the $200 loss I would have before (and yes it went through an FFL as well as contact with the buyer and I was satisfied it was a "good sale")

Would I take the $200 loss if I could have changed any outcomes? I would take the whole loss if that was true, its not so not a factor.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
Talking about the highest price listed on an auction site really isn't the real world.
Man I don't know what you were looking at, but I did a very specific search yielding 47 results of completed listings. From Jan up to date, as you scroll through them, prices start out as you would expect to pay for used equipment then gradually increase in cost.

If you look at the current auctions, the starting bids sometimes START at a good selling point ($30).

The EBAY 'sold items' show a trend of extremely high prices overall - at least that's my observation and what I wished to point out in this thread.

The image I am posting shows 1 die set SOLD under $50. My search was for carbide sets. This set is a Group C set - not Group B (carbide).

Obviously it is the "sellers' world - I am just trying to live in it!
Old March 21, 2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

What am I looking at?

I go to eBay, search for "Lee 9mm die set".

Change the listings to "Price + shipping, lowest first".

On left side, click "more refinements"

In that window, click "Show Only"

In that window, click "Completed Listings"

The results show 50 listings on page one, the highest of which sold for about $41.

Yes, there are sets selling every day for $70 and more, if you change the dates to most recent first, but there are also sets that sit at $50 and don't sell at all.

The highest prices on auction sites are not really indicative of what you must pay to acquire the item.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Barnacle Brad

Oh I see the difference. I am looking at RCBS 20504. You are looking at Lee!

Yeah - I am sure the better deal is the Lee. But I have an extra RCBS 20504 set. That was what started my search to find what I should or could get for it.

I am not the kind of guy to take advantage of this market though. It is repulsive to me... the whole ugly thing!

Sorry for the confusion...
Old March 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Barbicatter

Bids like that, makes me want to sell mine, and mine are carbide. If folks are foolish enough to click bid now, without doing thier homework, shame on them.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:31 PM   #19
ssilence

Keep looking on ebay, you can find a good deal from a good guy every once in a while. I bought my Lee Carbide 4 Die 9mm set on ebay on 1/18/2013 for $40.80. So, there are deals to be had...just have to look.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
primerman

Maybe the guys/gals buying all this stuff are the same ones paying $40 to $50 for a box of primers.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Barbicatter

^^^ Not me I bought my stuff pre frenzie prices. I think the vast majority of the Premium price buyers are men. Women are shopper and Men are buyers. That's why the beer and chips are locate close to the cashier
Old March 22, 2013, 12:38 PM   #22
rajbcpa

OK- and AW ban at the federal level was dead several weeks ago. However, I still cannot buy powder, primers, and the prices of dies, brass, bullets is very high compared with only a few months ago.

THE POOR PROSPECTS OF A FEDERAL AWB WILL NOT EASE THE AMMO AND AMMO COMPONENT SHORTAGE.

The war is being fought and lost at the state level.

I live in NY and shortly I will not be able to buy ammo or ammo components on the Internet. Similar sanctions are being considered in many states including CT, NJ. Mass, Maryland, Colorado, Calf, VT and others.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Barnacle Brad

What we are doing here (WY) is a lot of barter/trade type transactions. Not that we have any restrictions in play - but because of the economy people are hurting and have (I hate to say 'luxury') items they need to get rid of for stuff they actually 'need'.

There are a bunch of FB (Facebook) groups in our area I wasn't even aware of that are set up specifically for this kind of transaction. This is how I am trading off my 9mm dies. Anyway the point is people are making tough decisions and parting with their reloading gear, and toys of every sort.

We are cutting the FED out of the loop. I think it is something people need to learn how to do and get good at it! It's not a game of "muck your neighbor" either. It's just people doing the best they can with what they have.
Old March 22, 2013, 05:36 PM   #24
ScottRiqui

Quote:
AW ban at the federal level was dead several weeks ago.
Maybe to people who were following closely, but for the "low information" consumers, that didn't become clear until Senator Reid announced two days ago that the Senate gun bill wouldn't include the proposed "assault weapon" ban.

Give it a few more weeks; ARs, components and ammo are beginning to stick around on store shelves, and I think it's only going to get better.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
msokad

I was at Cabelas in PA yesterday and they had some powder and pistol primers in stock, but the shelves were clean for bullets in popular calibers. I was there last month and they had nothing.

I think it's starting to get better, but we are nowhere near pre frenzy levels. My guess is we should back to almost normal levels by mid summer.