The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
privateer1939

Crosman "NITRO VENOM" pellet rifle maintenance

Gentlemen

i need some advice about my new .177 crosman pelletgun........is it ok to use brake fluid as the lube for the compression chamber which uses compressed nitrogen as the propellant gas? The company recommends their silicone based chamber lube which i am sure would work but it is very expensive for such a small amount and i hear from people--not necessarily sure of their expertise-- that brake fluid is an excellent substitute which will not adversly affect the piston mechanism since it is used in very delicate auto transmission components for very long periods!!

What say you, guys?

Thanks...................
Old March 20, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Garycw

I'm not sure, it may result in a mini explosion damaging rifle? Beemans makes a nice kit with spring oil, & chamber oil. I know if you mix them up it sounds like a 22lr

Sent from iPhone
Old March 20, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm pretty sure this fails the "posts must be firearms related" test.

Accordingly, closed.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Despite my earlier admonition that this doesn't fall into "firearms," I'm going to reopen this. A member was kind enough to point out that air rifle threads have typically been left open in the past.

Given the current ammo situation, perhaps we should take our training where we can get it, and air rifles seem like a reasonable facsimile.

Accordingly, reopened, with my apologies to anyone who was just dying to post in this thread but could not.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:09 PM   #5
hodaka

Privateer, who uses brake fluid in their transmissions? Do you mean ATF?
Old March 20, 2013, 09:44 PM   #6
B.L.E.

DOT 5 brake fluid is silicone based and is not compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluids which are based on polyethylene glycol.

Maybe DOT 5 brake fluid works but if in doubt, I would stick to the stuff Beeman sells, it's not like you need to use a whole lot of it.
I'm sure that silicone oil is used based on its non flamible nature. Regular oils tend to "diesel" or compression ignite inside the compression chambers of high power air rifles.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:42 AM   #7
kozak6

I looked up the manual.

It says a A drop every several hundred rounds.

For similar air rifles, a drop or two every thousand rounds is recommended.

A tube is likely to last so long it doesn't really matter.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Garycw

I've been stocking up on some .177 and especially .22 pellets JIC they become scarce too. Ordered some from SG for $2.69 @ can for 500 .22. HP& Pointed. They may have the maintenance kits there too. I wouldn't take a chance with my expensive rifles with brake fluid if didn't have too. The beemans kit comes with some felt pellets too to shoot through with cleaner & oil which makes it even easier

Sent from iPhone
Old March 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Come and take it.

nitro piston rifles are very low maintenance
Old March 21, 2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Slopemeno

You really don't need to lube a synthetic-sealed spring piston airgun's chamber very often- every couple of thousand rounds a tiny drop of lube will do. The PFTE piston seal is self lubricating, for the most part.

I'm still using the Beeman kit with the three types of lube, silicone cloth, oiling needles, etc that I bought in 1983, if that tells you anything. Worry more about the pivot points, barrel detent, etc.

And yes, airguns are a great training aid. If you can lean to deal with the weird springer recoil you can shoot anything. I need to dust mine off now that I think about it.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Garycw

Slopemeno is right, my kit is at least from early 80's. and use it on other stuff too. The pivot points is what could use a little gun grease too

Sent from iPhone
Old March 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #12
30Cal

I use air compressor oil.
Old March 26, 2013, 02:06 AM   #13
brewman

I would not be using any Glycol based fluid such as Dot 3 or 4 due to the hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) tenancies of it.

A while ago I sprayed a small about of silicone spray in my springer and cycled the piston several times to spread the lube.

Later that day I was shooting some stuff through my Chrony and decided to see what fps the air rifle was doing, first shot had the report of a .22 rimfire and clocked around 1350 fps.
I learned that day exactly what dieseling in an air rifle is, for the record the air rifle usually runs around 850-900 fps.