The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
chilly460

New (to me) S&W 629 first time to range...

I had a Super Blackhawk .44 a few years ago but didn't get along with the SA grip and frame. I've been wanting a DA .44 ever since, and couldn't get the 629 out of my head. Saw a nice used 4" 629-6 at the LGS this week and brought it home. Ran some Federal 240gr HP through it tonight, as well as some Hornaday 240gr XTP.

I shoot a GP100, Glock 20, etc, so not entirely unaccustomed to larger rounds, but the .44 is just fun to shoot when you haven't done it much. It's a different animal for sure. Very happy with the 629, it's more of a handful then I remembered the Ruger being, probably due to weight. Love the balance of the 629, points nice with the 4" barrel, and the SA trigger is incredible. Very accurate gun at 10yds offhand, I just kept anticipating recoil before I could get solid grouping.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Rogervzv

Old March 23, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
jglsprings

Yep, no pictures - never happened!

We like pictures here. It's the difference between newsgroups and the forums.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Crankgrinder

Ive got the same problem right now. I cant quit thinking on a smith 629 for some reason. Always wanted a 44 magnum, always wanted a 1911 too. lately ive gone back and forth on which one i want the most. The big .44 seems to be winning recently, maybe i just think im clint eastwood. What did you wind up paying for the 629?
Old March 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
buck460XVR

45 years ago I had the same experience as the OP. Went originally to buy a S&W 29 and made a mistake of buying a Blackhawk instead because of cost difference. Liked the gun, but it beat the 'ell outta my hand. Traded it in for a SxS grouse gun and never looked back. Fast forward a few years and several .357s and I again went lookin' for a .44 S&W. Realized after shooting the 629 I waited way too long.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
chilly460

Sorry, grabbed a quick pic...

I'm not bashing Ruger at all, I have the GP100, but always wondered why folks said that SW was the more "finished" gun. Now I am beginning to see. One is not better than the other, they're just different with their own character. I love the GP100 as well.

Anyway, really like the 629 so far, balances nice with the 4" barrel. I may get larger grips than the stock Hogues, could use a bit more width, but these are pretty good for now.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
mxsailor803

Nice find. I have a 6" version and I plan on doing a lot of hunting with mine. Still trying to work up a load for it that it and I both like. Thinking about a optic on it?
Old March 24, 2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Rogervzv

Great looking handgun. I have Rugers and Smiths and love 'em all!
Old March 24, 2013, 04:21 PM   #9
roadrash

Looks like a 5" to these old eyes
Old March 24, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
jglsprings

Very nice, I REALLY like the full length lugged barrel. My four inch doesn't have it and my Dan Wesson does. I like the D/W's recoil better. My 629 is still my "trail" gun. Much easier to carry.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.