The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 23, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1
turbotype87

Preban AR10?

Hey Gang, Just a quick question. I'm looking to buy a AR10. But seeing how i live in CT, It needs to be a Preban rifle. But i can't seem to find any either locally or via the Gun Forums? Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a Preban AR10? In order to buy one here legally, it must have been made before 1994. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks Scott in CT.

Last edited by Vanya; September 23, 2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: invective.
Old September 25, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Destructo6

The "Coconut" AR10 sold not too long ago and, if memory serves, was made about 1958. That should be preban enough for CT.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 27, 2014, 02:49 PM   #3
HHollow

The coconut rifle was an early AR15. The question was regarding AR10's.

I do not know if the present incarnation of Armalite made any pre-1994 AR10's. However, the original AR10's are all pre-ban.

It seems that a only few early (1958-1961) AR10 rifles are sold on gunbroker every year. These rifles generally came from demilled parts sets imported back in the 1980's and were assembled using US made semi-auto lower receivers. There are two basic variants of these rifles: Sudanese contract AR10's (Sudans) had one-piece handguards and a lighter barrel. The Portuguese contract AR10's (Portos) had a more complex handguard system and were built heavier. In the US the Portos are much more common and generally sell for at least $1K less then the Sudans.

Photos below.
This one is of a Sudan style AR10. This rifle was one of the 400 or so that was originall sold to the Guatemalan military training academy. These particular rifles are therefore call "Guats" and can be identified due to the vent holes inn the flash-hider and shroud.

This is a good example of a Portuguese contrtact AR10. This rifle originally had brown furniture.