The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 3, 2013, 01:12 PM   #26
craZivn

All's Well that Ends Well

Well, UPS made a "sorting error" so it took an extra day to arrive, but my SP101 got here yesterday and she is beautiful! The gap issue no longer exists, haven't had time to give it a range session yet but it looks and cycles perfect. I put my shims, Wolff hammer spring and Chig's grips back on so it's 100% mine again.

So, total turnaround time was 2 weeks exactly, including UPS's slight screw up. Not bad at all!

Ivan
Old April 3, 2013, 02:01 PM   #27
AID_Admin

Being a newbie to revolvers I was mainly looking at S&W DA, but more I read about Ruger more I like it. Thanks for sharing your good experience...
Old April 3, 2013, 09:46 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Was there any information with the returned gun suggesting what they did to remedy the problem?
Old April 3, 2013, 10:41 PM   #29
craZivn

"Adjusted trigger guard, frame, hammer dog, replaced pawl, polished frame, trigger guard."

That's what the repair slip says. I am curious as well as to what exactly they did, but it wasn't anything obvious inside the gun.

I wonder why they replaced the pawl and adjusted the hammer dog, I find it very difficult to believe that I messed them up with my polishing job but I can't deny that it's possible.

Ivan
Old April 4, 2013, 12:34 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Could be. It's also possible that it had nothing to do with that.

Tightening up the triggerguard/triggergroup with respect to the frame would have changed the relationship of parts attached to the triggerguard to the parts they interface with that are attached to the frame. If there was enough of a change, that might have required some additional fitting or even replacement.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:17 AM   #31
Redhawk5.5+P+

Not sure if this means anything, but I sent my SP101 in for forcing cone damage with a Wolf 9lbs hammer spring.

They sent me the gun back with the heavier factory hammer spring installed along with the 9lbs spring mounted on that thingy. It was an easy swap back to the 9lbs sping. now I have two thingies.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:03 PM   #32
craZivn

Dang it, I should have removed the cylinder from mine before I sent it in, enough repair trips and I'd have two guns!

John, you make a good point about the refitting possibly requiring replacement parts, I didn't think of that.

Ivan
Old April 7, 2013, 06:26 AM   #33
xcpd69

Quote:
Not sure if this means anything, but I sent my SP101 in for forcing cone damage with a Wolf 9lbs hammer spring.

They sent me the gun back with the heavier factory hammer spring installed along with the 9lbs spring mounted on that thingy. It was an easy swap back to the 9lbs sping. now I have two thingies.
Ruger's standard practice, when repairing, is to put everything back to factory specs. AFAIK they return the non-factory spec parts.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:22 PM   #34
James K
Staff

I think most gun companies do that. The reason is (as usual) legal liability, If they let a gun out of the factory that is not in accordance with factory specs, they could be held liable if a non-factory part fails and causes injury or death. No matter that it is a repair job and came in with the non-factory part, if they ship it out that way, they "own" it.

Jim