The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Rem1187

Which gun for CCW: Glock 26, Sig p238, or S&W shield

Hey guys,

I am on the market for a new carry pistol as I am about to sell my Bersa thunder which I did not like due to its tendency to rub the skin raw on the knuckle of my thumb when I fired more than 2 mags at the range.

So far I have narrowed it down to the Glock 26, Sig 238, and S&W Shield 9mm.

The Shield would be my # 1 choice and seems perfect for me but is the most difficult to find.

The P238 is probably easier to find than the shield and seems like a solid choice but I dont know much about it. I assume that I will like it as the controls seem close to the 1911 platform which I have a lot of experience with.

The Glock 26 seems like it would be the easiest to buy. However, I am one of those guys who thinks the glock system of having a safety on the trigger is extremely dumb and would much rather prefer carrying a gun that had a manual safety so that I could feel more comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. I also feel like the glock is thick and might be tougher to conceal.

I am a 155 pounds and 5,6" with smaller hands. Please let me know what your guys advice is on these guns and maybe on any other guns I should consider. I would really prefer a gun that is SA capable and has a manual safety.

Thanks!
Old March 17, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
BarryLee

So, when you say P238 which is a .380 did you actually mean P938 a 9mm?

Either way I went through a similar process last summer and ended up selecting the G26 for a few of reasons. It has a larger capacity and can also accept any GLOCK 9mm magazine. So, I can install a spacer on a 17 round magazine if I wish or go with a 33 rounder at the range. Also, I just felt like the G26 seemed a little more rugged than the other smaller choices.

Now, you are correct that the G26 is a little thicker than some of your other choices, so it is something to consider. However, for me it has not been an issue carrying in either in a Safariland OWB or Milt Sparks IWB holster.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 17, 2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Rem1187

thank you for the response! and i agree that the mag versatility with glocks is a plus!

I am referring to the p238 and I really like that it can be pocket carried.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:52 AM   #4
9mm

Quote:
I am a 155 pounds and 5,6" with smaller hands
I am 130ish 5'7 smaller hands. I carried a Glock 26 in the past and now a Glock 27. Get the Glock 26/27 and Sig p238 for backup in the pocket.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:00 AM   #5
shuler13

I have the 938 for ccw and really like it. I alternate with it and my M&P9c depending on attire. Glock mag versatility I can appreciate owning both full size and compact m&ps, but for versatility of concealment, I would choose 938 (or in your case 238).
Old March 17, 2013, 01:05 AM   #6
9mm

I had some problems with the new p938(9mm) and others report too, but faith as been restored total of 400 rounds, 3 ftfires, (hammer stops just before striking pin) believe it was me short stroking it.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:11 AM   #7
breakingcontact

Re: Which gun for CCW: Glock 26, Sig p238, or S&W shield

Of those 3 if you want a big capacity mag...its the Glock. Not my choice. But that may fit your wants.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:08 AM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Rem1187 posted
The Glock 26 seems like it would be the easiest to buy. However, I am one of those guys who thinks the glock system of having a safety on the trigger is extremely dumb and would much rather prefer carrying a gun that had a manual safety so that I could feel more comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber.
The Glock system of having a safety on the trigger is to help prevent negligent discharges due to something snagging the trigger. The Glock design removes almost all chances of the gun firing accidentally; a Glock fires only if the trigger is pulled. If you follow basic safety rules and keep your finger off the trigger you'll be fine.

On the other hand, a gun with a manual safety can cause people to be LESS safe; they rely on the manual safety and don't practice basic safety techniques like keeping their finger off the trigger.

I think the Shield is a very good gun in every way except for the safety; it's small and stiff and very hard to operate. So the most efficient way to carry it is off safe, but what if the safety becomes accidentally engaged while carrying?

You didn't mention the Walther PPS, but if you're considering the Shield the PPS should be on your radar too. The Shield's terrible manual safety is yet another reason I think the PPS is a far better gun in every way except for price.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:17 AM   #9
TAKtical

Shield. I have larger hands and the 26 just feels horrible in my hands. I dont shoot it well and without an aftermarket extension, there is no place for your pinky finger. I like glocks and I carry a 17 every day but the 26 is just not an option for me. A 19 isnt much bigger but you can get a full grip on it and it holds 15+1. The shield is very small and thin but you can still get a full grip on it. Ive shot one a few times and I really liked it. Very accurate out to 25 yards, grip feels good in my hand, stock sights are easier to get used to than the ones that come on the glock. If I needed a small gun for CC I would buy a shield. Fortunately I have no problem concealing a full size 1911 or glock.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at TakticalHolsters@aol.com Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia

Last edited by TAKtical; March 17, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
On the other hand, a gun with a manual safety can cause people to be LESS safe; they rely on the manual safety and don't practice basic safety techniques like keeping their finger off the trigger.
Wow. The hatred of manual safeties never ends. I don't like Glocks and feel they are indeed less safe overall due to the lack of a manual safety but don't crusade against them because I know with proper discipline and training and a good holster and the right mindset they are safe. I get what the anti-thumb safety crowd is saying...that they are extreme pistoleros and anyone who wants a manual safety is some rube.

Carry what you're comfortable with, dont get complacent with any of it. And if you have a Glock, be extra careful while reholstering so you don't shoot yourself like a lot of anti-thumb safety people do while reholstering.

I like the Shield AND I like thumb safeties. But if you want higher cap mags, consider the Glock.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I get what the anti-thumb safety crowd is saying...that they are extreme pistoleros and anyone who wants a manual safety is some rube.

Carry what you're comfortable with, dont get complacent with any of it. And if you have a Glock, be extra careful while reholstering so you don't shoot yourself like a lot of anti-thumb safety people do while reholstering.
I hear this as well as many other reasons why to choose the Glock, he was a Glock salesman. Don't get me wrong, i am pro Glock!

Now how many mistakes does it take to shoot yourself in the foot with a gun safety providing they didn't know the gun was loaded? 2

1) accidental release of thumb safety.

2) accidental pull of trigger.

How many Dumb moves with the Glock? 1

1) accidentally pulling the trigger.

Yes i know that is not as easy as a non-safety trigger, but its one move.

The Glock is safe, an idiot is not and an idiot usually becomes a non idiot if he shoots himself and lives.

Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; March 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Theohazard

Quote:
breakingcontact posted
Wow. The hatred of manual safeties never ends. I don't like Glocks and feel they are indeed less safe overall due to the lack of a manual safety but don't crusade against them because I know with proper discipline and training and a good holster and the right mindset they are safe. I get what the anti-thumb safety crowd is saying...that they are extreme pistoleros and anyone who wants a manual safety is some rube.
What makes you think I am against manual safeties? I don't hate manual safeties at all; my favorite handgun in the world is a good 1911. I specifically hate the Shield's manual safety because it is so small and stiff.

Please don't put words in my mouth or accuse me of being an elitist. My post was specifically in response to the OP calling the Glock design "dumb". It's fine if you don't like the Glock and you prefer a different design, but it's a very well-designed gun that works very well for many people.

My point is that people who practice unsafe gun handling techniques often rely on a manual safety to prevent negligent discharges, when they should rely on their own gun handling skills to prevent NDs.

Is a gun equipped with a manual safety inherently less safe than a gun without a manual safety? Of course not; all things being equal, the manual safety will add an extra layer of safety. But often a person who is careless with a gun that has a manual safety is a little more careful with a gun that does not have a manual safety.

I've taught basic gun handling skills to hundreds of first-time gun owners. When you hand them a gun, 95% of the time they immediately put their finger on the trigger. Even after a demonstration of proper indexing of the trigger finger, their finger invariably works its way back to rest on the trigger. On a gun like the 92FS, I've found that teaching proper finger indexing tends to be more difficult because they know the gun is on safe and won't fire no matter where their finger is. But when they're holding a Glock and I explain that there is no manual safety and the gun will fire if the trigger is pulled, it almost always takes less time for them to start keeping their finger off the trigger.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #13
zeke4351

A friend of mine that grew up around guns dropped his Glock as he was picking it up off the table. Naturally he tried to catch it as anyone would most likely do. He hit the trigger and it killed him. I can't think of another modern gun that this could happen with. Glocks are cheap, rugged and shoot great but I don't like being around them at all.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #14
AH.74

Quote:
A friend of mine that grew up around guns dropped his Glock as he was picking it up off the table. Naturally he tried to catch it as anyone would most likely do. He hit the trigger and it killed him. I can't think of another modern gun that this could happen with. Glocks are cheap, rugged and shoot great but I don't like being around them at all.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

But I disagree with a couple of things- first, "anyone" wouldn't most likely try to catch it. Some people are trained to specifically NOT try to catch a dropped gun for exactly this reason.

Second- in such a case, another gun may do the same thing- I don't think Glock is unique in this.

And third- this is one reason I never have a loaded gun sitting anywhere without being in a holster.

Being uncomfortable around Glocks? It's the handler, not the tool.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15
led0321

I have carried a Glock 23 for several years, this week I bought a Glock 27 and wow what a difference it makes as far as concealability and comfort.

It shoots really well too if you are an avid shooter.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:37 PM   #16
DarrinD2

Glock 26; carried it for years before I switched to an MP9c. The Shield is possibly the best overall option if the capacity doesn't bother you.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
zeke4351 posted
I can't think of another modern gun that this could happen with.
What about the S&W M&P? Or the Walther PPS, PPQ, P99, and PPX? Or guns made by Caracal or Steyr? All of those guns have triggers about the same as the Glock or lighter, and none have manual safeties.

And there are countless more guns on the market that also don't have manual safeties, but have heavier trigger pulls. So the exact same thing could happen with those guns too, it's just a little less likely.

I, too, am sorry to hear about your friend, but I have to agree with AH.74 on this one.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
AK103K

Have they got the issues with the P238's worked out now? I had one a couple of years ago, and it wasnt at all reliable, and it ate brass at a pretty good rate.

I ended up trading my P238 for another 26. I have a couple now, and use them as a back up with my 17's.

I cant help you with the Shield, no experience there.

Quote:
Now how many mistakes does it take to shoot yourself in the foot with a gun safety providing they didn't know the gun was loaded? 2

1) accidental release of thumb safety.

2) accidental pull of trigger.

How many Dumb moves with the Glock? 1

1) accidentally pulling the trigger.

Yes i know that is not as easy as a non-safety trigger, but its one move.
Its actually one move with both if you think about it. With a gun that has a manual safety, if the gun is out of its holster, the safety would be off anyway.

Quote:
A friend of mine that grew up around guns dropped his Glock as he was picking it up off the table. Naturally he tried to catch it as anyone would most likely do. He hit the trigger and it killed him. I can't think of another modern gun that this could happen with.
As was mentioned, his mistake was trying to catch the gun. A gun is no different than a knife. Just let it go, youll be a lot better off.

I know the feeling, I dropped a Series 70 Colt 1911 that had been just loaded, but the safety had not been yet set. I let it go to the kitchen floor, while I did the little dance. No boom. When they came out with the Series 80's with the firing pin block, I quit carrying the older models.

You can throw a Glock, and most others with a firing pin block to the ground, and chances of it going off, are slim to none.

Quote:
Being uncomfortable around Glocks? It's the handler, not the tool.
Absolutely. But like guns that "wont" shoot, its always the guns fault when theres a problem. It couldnt possibly be the user.

I had Glocks back before the internet, and back then, never gave the trigger issue much thought. Never had any problem with them going off by themselves, in practice or use (except for the one 17 that drove me away from them for another 27 years. It wouldnt go off no matter how hard you pulled the trigger).

I got back into them a few years back now, and all I hear on the internet, is how dangerous they are without a holster. So I had to prove it to myself, and I spent two years or so, walking around the house every minute I was home, with a second, unloaded 17 just thrust into my waistband, pocket, pretty much any way you could think of carrying a gun without a holster, and the trigger never once was tripped without being intentionally pulled. I even pick them up off the table by the trigger itself, with my finger just hooked into the trigger guard, and its never tripped unless I pulled it intentionally.

If youre the least bit reasonable in your gun handling, I seriously doubt youll have an issue with a Glock, any more or less than you would anything else.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:53 PM   #19
Kevin_d77

Have a Shield 9, liked it so much I bought another. They're great guns. The safety is a non-issue and it is hardly difficult to disengage if you practice with it.

BUT.....get whatever you feel most comfortable with. I chose the Shield
Old March 17, 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
redhologram

I hate hearing about your friend. A tragic event to be sure.
One thing I would NEVER do is try and catch a falling gun. Let it fall. Chances of it discharging when it does fall are slim with the way they are made these days. (Note: I didn't say impossible, I said slim, so no reason to argue the point or tell all the stories of when your third cousin twice removed had this happen to them).

To the OP. I am 5'7", approx 125lbs, with medium sized hands I would say.
I carry and easily conceal a db9 (do I recommend that particular gun? No, there are better out there but she and I get along nicely as long as I feed her good quality). I also have a Glock 19, gen 4. It is a little more difficult to conceal for me personally but I can't say enough good about her. Also, the SA xdm9mm 3.8 is one I can conceal ok and has proven to be reliable whenever I've taken it out.

On the range again, just can't wait to get on the range again. The life I love is shooting guns with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the range again!
Old March 17, 2013, 02:07 PM   #21
AH.74

Quote:
I got back into them a few years back now, and all I hear on the internet, is how dangerous they are without a holster. So I had to prove it to myself, and I spent two years or so, walking around the house every minute I was home, with a second, unloaded 17 just thrust into my waistband, pocket, pretty much any way you could think of carrying a gun without a holster, and the trigger never once was tripped without being intentionally pulled. I even pick them up off the table by the trigger itself, with my finger just hooked into the trigger guard, and its never tripped unless I pulled it intentionally.
I tried to simulate things that might happen to the trigger for quite a while before I got my first Glock. Never could get a trigger to activate without a deliberate pull from the front.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:08 PM   #22
AH.74

Quote:
Have a Shield 9, liked it so much I bought another. They're great guns. The safety is a non-issue and it is hardly difficult to disengage if you practice with it.

BUT.....get whatever you feel most comfortable with. I chose the Shield
I still haven't even seen one in person yet; they're scarcer than hen's teeth in my area.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:59 PM   #23
jeepmcd

For me, I wanted something I could wear all day and almost forget that I had it on. My Shield has proven just that. I wear in IWB for nearly 12 hrs per day with no issues.

The capacity is lower than the Glock, but to me the Shield was the best balance for my criteria.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:46 AM   #24
deckard

My choice and the way I carry: Glock 26 with the 10lb NY 2 trigger, and 10 rounds of Hornady critical defense ammo.

Reasons for me are:

1. Good selection of ammo and high capacity rounds means I can carry 10 rounds of quality ammunition without an extended mag.

2. The NY 2 trigger requires a very deliberate pull, so I feel very safe with it loaded and ready to rock even if its pointing at my balls.

3. No safety means one less thing I have to remember when my body goes into a state of high alert and/or shock and I turn into a very dumb person who can't tie his shoes. I just need to be able to pull from holster, point, shoot. You'd be surprised but even those three basic steps may be a big challenge. I don't want another involving a tiny switch somewhere.

4. It's a Glock, lots of parts and things out there for them, they just work, and their subcompacts are actually pretty accurate. Just watch Hickok45 plink the gong at 80 yards with a glock26.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #25
Kevin_d77

He was plinking that gong with the Shield as well. That guy is GOOD!