The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 16, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
tobnpr

Variations in inletting for Mauser actions?

Can anyone lead me to a source of measurements/ differences and similarities between the various Mauser actions?

I'm only concerned about inletting differences- action diameters, action screw spacing- only differences that affect the fitting of the actions into the stocks.

I have a M24/47 to use as a pattern for that action, but still don't fully understand which other actions would utilize the same stock inletting- and which others I'd still need to get to have all the bases (common mauser actions, not the magnum) covered.

I've looked everywhere but can't find comprehensive information in one place.

Thanks for any help...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 24/47 is a medium length action so the dimensions are not the same as the "standard" action, meaning the German Gew. 98 or K.98k. The 24/47 dimensions are the same as the Yugo M48, though.

I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you are planning to get into the stock making business, you would be better to buy the rifles/actions for which you intend to produce stocks. AFAIK, there are no sources of detailed dimensions for any Mauser actions, let alone all or any significant number of them.

Jim
Old March 16, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
tobnpr

Correct. I want to add Mauser actions to a line of stocks I'm offering. Not original milsurp stocks, just need the inletting from stocks to duplicate-not measurements.
To your point, because I already have a 24, I also have the 48 covered.
Trying to determine what I need to obtain, in order to cover the most common actions given that the same dimensions can span several models.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 17, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
PetahW

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

Old March 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

I think having the standard 98 large ring and medium Yugo versions would cover most cases. Small ring Mausers haven't been made for a long time, usually don't take a scope base well and are unlikely to come up as new sporterizing project. And magnum systems are too precious and rare to not custom stock.