The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Armybrat

Brit SAS soldier jailed for illegal gun possession

Amazing how the Brits hate guns, even when one of their special forces heroes has one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...r-my-name.html

At least popular opinion helped overturn this stupid miscarriage of justice, but he is still ruined.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
WillyKern69

Almost like Fienstein saying Vets should be banned from owning guns. It is okay when your killing for them, but don't kill to protect yourself or family. The world has gone mad, I swear.

WK
Old March 16, 2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Tucker 1371

The freakin hipocrisy... I'm irate.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Sodbuster

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-...ut-appeal.html

His mates aren't as sympathetic.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5
trg42wraglefragle

Quote:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-...ut-appeal.html

His mates aren't as sympathetic.
I wouldn't use that forum for useful information,
it's great for a laugh but I wouldn't take everything you hear there with a grain of salt.
Thoughts on the EU are very interesting though.

Also the Brits don't hate guns, they are well rooted in a lot of British traditions.
The thing that was their down fall was when people started demonizing them (like whats happening in at the moment), there wasn't enough people or groups like the NRA to protect them.

They completely banned handguns in 1996, yet today in London the police are finding illegal guns everyday.
Which proves what people in the US are saying that banning guns only stops law abiding people from having them.

The only trouble then becomes when people who own them legally commit massacres, like the few recently in the US and the Dublane school massacre in the UK which is when they banned handguns.
Which in most cases has been from mentally unstable people.

Which then turns into ban guns for everyone, when maybe they should be looking at how mentally unstable people are dealt with.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Sodbuster

Useful for what? That's what I read. Sorry if I'm missing your point. It's not a controlled scientific experiment we're talking about. But yes, the site is good for a laugh.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:59 AM   #7
trg42wraglefragle

Useful as in 99% of the time its just flat out abuse and tongue and cheek.
If your looking for genuine opinions and information, it takes a bit of finding.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Bud Helms
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg42wraglefragle
They completely banned handguns in 1996, yet today in London the police are finding illegal guns everyday.
Which proves what people in the US are saying that banning guns only stops law abiding people from having them.
An interesting comment. Let's think about that one for a while.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Sodbuster

Duly noted, trg42, that's probably true. I'm not going to argue with the Commonwealth about the arrse. They do that themselves. I should have posted what Bud did; that is what caught my eye also. Police are "finding" guns. Somehow.
Old March 17, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Bud Helms
Staff

My point is that the stroke of a pen may create criminals where there were none previously. Not career bad guys, law abiders yesterday and criminals today. They have done nothing to make themslves criminals except go to sleep and wake up again. So to equate them with criminals that habitually don't follow the law is a misunderstanding of the meaning of that reference. And a misuse, I might add.

When we refer to career criminals that have no intention of conforming to society's laws, that does not include citizens that were legal yesterday and law breakers today as a result of new law.

Last edited by Bud Helms; March 17, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
trg42wraglefragle

I think the lack of support om Arrse comes from that the rules are very strict over there and he knew the rules and broke them.

And then as he was SAS, which are a fairly well liked bunch yet another British army personal in a less highly looked at role wouldn't have got let of.
And just recently an ex Para (which is another highly thought of regiment, but not as high as the SAS) is getting done for much less of a crime.

That and the fact that a major news paper kicked up a stink that got him off, and some Brits aren't that keen on the media they have there, with good reason most of the time (like with the current media out cry against "Assault rifles").
The media can have a huge influence on the people making decisions over there, and on other issues they don't generally give all the facts.

Another thing to watch out for is that Britain doesn't have a huge amount of gun crime and has very strict rules, which US anti's may use as ammunition to ban your guns.
Even though the two don't go as hand in hand as they would like you to think.