The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
jsust

reloading glock brass

so after hours of googling I can not seem to find definitive answers to my question so iv decided to ask you fine people
1 is it all glocks that make a buldge?
2 what does the glock smile do to the brass? does it make it unreloadable?
3 why does 40 s&w seem to be a problem? Does that mean 10mm causes more issues also?
4 when did Glock fix this problem? what gen? or is there still a problem?
5 how big of a deal is the buldge? (ive read it may not necessarily hurt anything)
6 what issues have you guys had any issues reloading glock brass?
Old March 16, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
chris in va

1. No.

2. Smile?

3. Early Glock 40 barrels were 'unsupported' at the case head, causing a bulge.

4. Not sure when they fixed it, other guys can tell you.

5. Pretty big deal, will prevent proper chambering if not resized. The Lee Bulge Buster fixes the bulge.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Tim R

I would not load Glock brass that has a "smile" ). This is brass that more than likely was a little hot and the smile is formed from the unsupported part of the chamber. Glock brass without the smile, load away. If the brass case goes into the size die without reistance (sorta falls in) that piece of brass is wornout.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:39 AM   #4
NWPilgrim

I have 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation Glocks and none of my brass (9mm and mostly .40) have a bulge in them. I typically load in the midrange of load data so maybe max pressures would make a bulge? But I have read on other postings that the chamber was changed after the Gen1 series to reduce the exposure of the case head.

I have shot and reloaded thousands of rounds of .40 through my Glocks. Lead bullets can be shot if you clean your barrel regularly (I do after each range session, so about every 200-300 rds). Depending on the hardness of the bullets you may or may not get more leading in the Glock polygonal rifled barrel. I shoot mostly 18 BHN lead bullets and do not notice any more leading in the Glocks than in my 1911 or BHP. I also have an aftermarket barrel in traditional rifling for both 9mm and .40, and also load some plated and jacketed bullets in addition to the lead.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 16, 2013, 07:23 AM   #5
David Bachelder

I too reload my glock brass. My pistol does leave a slight bulge around the base of the shell. I use a Redding GRX die to remove the bulge. When I reload my .40's I use midrange loads.

I have not had a problem.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Punisher_1

I shot some .40 reloads in my Glock 23 and ended up with a KB that shot the magazine out of the weapon. The case ruptured above the rim. No more reloads in the .40 for me. I use my 9mm now with a supported rifled barrel and no reloads. Once was enough.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
chiefr

I have reloaded glocked brass and will continue to do so.
All you need is a sizing die that allows more of the case to be sized. Some dies make allowances for more of the case length to be sized.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:01 PM   #8
jsust

is the problem shooting reloaded glock brass out of a glock only or is it any gun?
Old March 16, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
greentick

I've been reloading for 9mm and 10mm glocks for almost 20yrs. Never had a problem with "guppy bellies" with the 9. The 10 is without problems until I start pushing it. Worked up some hot loads with longshot and 200gr projos. Anything with a smile (a groove at the neck end of the bulge) got tossed. Simple guppy bellies get rehab'd never to see a hot load again.

That project was with new brass.

My used brass loads are moderate and never caused a problem, probably have a dozen firings on some of my 10mm brass.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Punisher_1

The chamber on the Glock does not surround the whole case at one point. The round is fired and you get a bulge where the case was not supported by the chamber. It can be resized but I would think if you bulge-resize, bulge-resize enough it will weaken the casing and if you are lucky enough to have it back in a Glock when that weak spot is at the unsupported area of the chamber it will blow out from there and cause issues like a KB (KaBoom). Google KB and you will see pictures of the effect. From what I have read it seems the .40 cal is most susceptible.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:09 PM   #11
reynolds357

Jsust, I have been reloading for Glocks since Gen1 and I honestly have no clue what you are talking about. I cant pick up a piece of brass and tell you if a Glock or a Colt shot it.
Old March 16, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
serf 'rett

Does a Colt leave the same rectangle mark on the primers? I thought I could easily look and know if the brass had come out of a Glock.

When the deformation is slight I use the brass; where it's severe I recycle.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:12 PM   #13
reynolds357

If you get a jewelers loop you can probably tell the difference in the extractor marks. I have never seen a Glock leave an unusual extractor mark. As far as looking at primers, primers are primers and brass is brass. It does not matter what shape you mark a primer, it does not affect a brass being reloadable or not.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
serf 'rett

Mark is on the primer.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
led0321

Re: reloading glock brass

Watching this
Old March 16, 2013, 07:31 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Been reloading my brass for my Gen 2 G17 since the gun came out - no issues of any kind and I get a LOT of reloads out of every piece brass
Old March 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #17
snooze

The FNS barrels also have an unsupported chamber.

I run .40S&W brass through the Redding GR-X resizing die before loading on a Dillon press. It's may be unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:33 PM   #18
fishbones182

Ive been loading the brass from my glock for close to 10 years alot of it is the same brass i started with.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
jepp2

It is interesting that Glock gets all the acclaim for unsupported chambers when their support is similar to others.

The first picture is of various pistols chamber support.

Second picture is of the "Glock" smile

Third picture is of the guppy belly due to being fired out of battery.

Old March 16, 2013, 11:06 PM   #20
NWPilgrim

reloading glock brass

Wow, thanks for the pics. As stated above, I have reloaded for my G19/22/23/27 for many years and have never seen either if those brass deformities. Interesting to see what it looks like but glad mine look like that.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:14 AM   #21
David Bachelder

As I said before, I load for a 14 year old Glock 23 in .40 S&W. I have never seen Glock Smile or Glock Guppy in any of the brass I have loaded. I didn't know what Glock Smile was until I saw the photos above. Since I shoot cast bullets I did get a Lone Wolf replacement barrel, probably not needed but it gives me a warm fuzzy. Both barels leave the same mark.

What I see is a slight bulge around the base of the brass. It's slight and it goes around the circumference of the brass just above the base. The Redding die removes it. I'm a happy camper.
Old March 17, 2013, 05:02 PM   #22
reynolds357

Jepp, in the 30 to 40 thousand rounds I have fired through a Glock, I have never seen a case that even remotely resembled the ones in the photos above. I have shot some very high pressure stuff in my Glock 10mm in bowling pin matches.
Old March 17, 2013, 05:35 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

Jep, I primarily work with wood as a hobbyist and only occasionally venture into small metal projects. I don't know how you can look at that first picture and not see significant differences.

The other photos seem to be at the extreme to me, although I have not seen many guppies. I have seen a few with the smile though.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:52 PM   #24
jepp2

Quote:
I don't know how you can look at that first picture and not see significant differences.
I would agree there are differences, but I would call them matter of degrees, not absolutes as the "unsupported Glock chamber" is described as. My experience in firing and sizing tens of thousands of 40 S&W brass fired in a Glock handgun is that most of the expansion occurs further up the case. And this is due to the generous chamber size rather than any amount of unsupport of the chamber. This generous chamber is what gives Glock the reliability. If the hole is large enough, anything will chamber. When I talk about generous chamber, this is how it shows up.

Old March 17, 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
TMD

Gen 3 G35 here and no buldges to speak of. I've reloaded some of the same brass over 20x and still no issues.