The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 01:58 PM   #26
Viper99

The CZ that I have always lust for are the stainless 75B and the PCR except that I can't find them anywhere.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:03 PM   #27
Zhillsauditor

I love my P01; however, if I were to buy a SP01 I would not go with the decocker model. Reason is that the CZ with decocker is much harder to fully disassemble and reassemble. Also, I believe the decocker model's trigger is more difficult to smooth.

P01 mags from mecgar could be had (before the insanity) for under $20. The P01 can also use SP01 and regular CZ 75 mags for bench use. I have a few Tactical Sport 19 round mags I take to the range with me. Along with my Tactical Sport
Old March 15, 2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Viper99

What I wanted to do when I went to my FFL was to buy a used gun and was looking for either a Glock G26, CZ 75B or Beretta 92FS. These guys usually have at least 75/100 used guns for sale at any given time.

I walk in and there is virtually no used guns and no new guns. Most of the used guns were Taurus which I had no interest in and a few of the S&W cheap 9mm SWV something like that which are known for problems, a couple of Rugers that I either have or didn't interest me and that CZ P-01 that I put a down payment on.

Any new guns are months away.

My mentality was to start selling off the guns that I didn't particularly like and replace them with ones that I wanted. I think I will hold on to everything until this craziness dies out, if it does.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:19 PM   #29
banter

Thanks all for the tips. Another thing I've read repeatedly about SP-01 is that it is very heavy.. Should that be a problem for me?

This will be only a range gun, no carry. There seem to be a lot of suggestions to try a P-01, and I intend to. It seems like such a great middle of the road handgun, but I guess I was set on a longer barrel (?).

@mleake - since I won't be carrying, that's where I'm kind of stuck. I think for a range-only gun, it would be more useful to have a decocker. Since I'll be relying on the long DA pull as a safety.

But I hear what everyone is saying about easier work on a safety model. And the safety might be good for me to get used to if I choose to get into 1911s...

Last edited by banter; March 15, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:19 PM   #30
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
My mentality was to start selling off the guns that I didn't particularly like and replace them with ones that I wanted. I think I will hold on to everything until this craziness dies out, if it does.
Now is a great time to sell something you don't like--prices are unreasonably high and the bubble is sure to burst (they always do).

I wouldn't go out and sell a gun I like thinking to replace it when times simmer down, but a gun you plan on selling in six months will probably make more money right now.

Re: size of the Sp-01

If you are not planning on carrying, the SP-01 is not that heavy for range use. Maybe a bit more tiring than all day with a Glock 19, but not really significant.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:30 PM   #31
Contrast Man

Note that just because the standard SP-01 does not have a decocker, does not mean you can't still manually decock it. Just be sure that you follow appropriate safety procedures while doing so.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Viper99

The problem with that is that you will also be buying at high prices.
I want to sell my Glock G27, but only to replace it with a G26 but I can't find a G26 because my FFL is sold out for a couple of months according to them.

Want to sell a S&W 910S but only to replace with a 6906. Same thing.

Want to buy a CZ PCR but can't find one. 92FS Inox, can't find one or when you find them, they are so overpriced, you don't bother.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:31 PM   #33
Zhillsauditor

The answer is to wait six months for the bubble to burst before buying the "replacement". Of course, some of this doesn't apply to collector pieces but off the shelf Glocks are not collector pieces.

I know it's hard not to buy lots of guns; to paraphrase the great Dr. King, indulgence delayed is indulgence denied.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:21 AM   #34
MLeake

banter, your reasoning is 180 out from what I'm used to seeing, with regard to range vs carry.

People often recommend the longer, heavier first pull, sans safety, for a carry gun, the reasons being 1) there is one less fine motor function to perform under stress (IE you can't forget a safety that is not there) and 2) it makes it less likely that one will flinch-fire if startled while bringing the gun to bear or holding the gun on a possibly stopped aggressor.

For use at the range, where stress is typically much lower, the safety poses less of a challenge.

This is not to say that safeties are excessively difficult; I often carry 1911 variants. This is also not to say that a DA/SA gun makes a bad range gun.

As far as weight goes, the SP-01 weighs about the same as my Les Baer 1911. Weight is a good thing in a range or HD gun; it minimizes recoil and provides a more stable shooting platform (inertia of mass vs movement from trigger pull - it doesn't just stabilize against recoil).

I typically prefer to try weapons at a range, first, prior to purchase (from the rental rack, or borrowed from a friend) if possible.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:41 PM   #35
banter

MLeake, I understand what you're saying about the safety being less of a concern at the range.. I'm still considering what is best for me. And here in california, the sp-01 (safety) is on-roster while the sp-01 tactical (decocker) is not. That might make my decision for me. Among others, I've fired a 75b, but not the sp-01 or p-01. What is a fair price for a new sp-01 or p-01?
Old March 16, 2013, 05:47 PM   #36
Zhillsauditor

When you can find them available, I'd say $560 and $590 for the P01 and the SP-01 (not the polymer). The polymer versions of each go for substantially (~$50)less.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:58 PM   #37
manta49

You would wonder how people managed to carry steel firearms before Glock came on the market. The CZ 75 SPO1 is a great firearm for carry or the range i know people here that manage to carry them.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:21 PM   #38
MLeake

I paid $569 for a stock P-01 from Matt Mink (CZ-USA shooting team; Automatic Accuracy), then about $300 more on mods and shipping. I liked the first one so much, I ordered a second from Matt, identical carry setup.

I think I paid $600 even for my SP-01 from J&G Sales.

Edit: In response to manta49's last, on those occasions when I carry the SP-01, I use(relatively) flush fitting (CZ75) mags. The SP-01 mag bases are more problematic for me, for concealed carry, than is the weight. (Like I said, it weighs about the same as my Les Baer UTC, which gets carried quite often.)

Last edited by MLeake; March 16, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:40 PM   #39
MLeake

For comparison.

Here is the SP-01 with the .22LR Kadet kit; the kit also works with the P-01:

Here is a 50 round group at 25' offhand with the .22LR SP-01 Kadet (9mm snap cap for scale):

I like them.

Last edited by MLeake; March 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:55 PM   #40
MLeake

In the last post, I think that was a 16 or 17 round CZ75 standard length mag in the SP-01 at top. (I have an assortment of mags.)

Last edited by MLeake; March 16, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:01 AM   #41
Pilot

My Kadet Kit practically lives on my 75B, and my daily carry is the 75D PCR which is very similar to your P-01 except without the light rail. I really would like to get a modded SP-01 for target work. They are just really, really hard to find right now.