The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2013, 11:30 PM   #26
GLK

Once again I find myself having to remind lefties that yes you can shoot a "normal"(aka right handed AR)with a case deflector without any issues 99.999 % of the time, especially if you're left eye dominant. I as a true lefty in both eye dominance and hand dexterity will take a true dedicated left handed AR every time if available. If you're a total lefty shooting wise such as myself, you really should get a dedicated left handed rifle/carbine/long gun. The main reason for doing so is to keep that big gaping hole, known as the ejection port as far away from your face/eyes/pie hole as possible. All it takes is one catastrophic case failure or out of battery discharge to ruin your day/sight/life. Then you'll wish you were shooting a dedicated left handed weapon. As to the issue with the fire control selector, there are not only left handed only selectors, there are also ambi selectors that have an modified right side lever that will not interfere with your booger hook(aka trigger finger)at all. I will also add that in my opinion if you are serious about training with any defensive gun you will learn to become competent or at the very least functional shooting both left and right handed. Of course others mileage and opinions will vary.
Take care be safe and shoot often,
Gary
P.S. If any of you lefties have any questions on my gear and or experience with both left & righted ARs or other type of long guns feel free to PM or email me.

Last edited by GLK; March 20, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:12 PM   #27
thesheepdog

I am a lefty and shoot right-handed AR's all the time. It doesn't bother me. It's really a moot point.

High Speed, Low Drag guys are used to shooting with both hands anyway, so the idea that you need a left handed AR, because you're left handed, is a wrong perspective.

NOW, I will say the only thing I have found to be slightly cumbersome (especially when doing room clearing team drills) is using a right handed safety selector.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:37 PM   #28
TAKtical

Shooting left handed you will eat gas. You literally eat it. Up your nose too. Never had brass hit me in the face or anything like that though.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at TakticalHolsters@aol.com Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 23, 2013, 05:28 PM   #29
Topthis

Lefty here...and I've had no issues with shooting my AR's. When I built my second AR, I didn't even consider trying to find a lefty upper. I will agree that you can get some gas in your mouth...however, if you scream "Get some! Get some!" while you are shooting your rifle...you will eliminate the problem of getting gas in your mouth.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #30
GLK

Quote:
I will agree that you can get some gas in your mouth...however, if you scream "Get some! Get some!" while you are shooting your rifle...you will eliminate the problem of getting gas in your mouth.
Epic line for the thread win.

In my experience I have yet to get gas in my mouth when shooting right or left handed. Now gas in my nose, that is a other whole/hole issue. But then again that is not always shooting related. Maybe I need to change the protection list to "ears eyes & nose" or change friends .
Old March 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #31
TMD

Quote:
Shooting left handed you will eat gas
Taste like chicken
Old March 24, 2013, 09:57 PM   #32
EdInk

There is nothing special you need to worry about with a standard AR.

Use your thumb to hit the mag release like you would the lever on an AK.

Use your trigger finger to operate the safety (or "thumb wrestle" it).

Use your thumb to operate the forward assist if needed.

Use your trigger finger to operate the bolt catch.

The cocking lever is already ambidextrous.

You can get ambi-safeties and ambi-mag releases but they aren't really needed or anything.

DO GET A MODEL WITH BRASS DEFLECTOR
Old March 25, 2013, 11:26 AM   #33
cetanner

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject. I have been unable to find a reasonably priced AR15 for a lefty. The ones that are out there are priced way too high for me.

After firing a friends AR15 this weekend, I have decided to buy a right handed PSA15 from Palmetto State Armory. I will make sure it has the brass deflector. That was my major concern. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.