The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 14, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Mossberg

Any experienced opinions pro or con with the Mossberg 4X4 in 25-06?
Shopping for a low cost 25-06, will skip over some I found, and I wondered if this one is a possible buy for me.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
steveNChunter

I was looking for the exact same thing about 6 months ago. I bought a Howa 1500 .25-06 barreled action for a little under $400 and put it in a Hogue stock with the aluminum bedding block. If I had i to do over again I wouldnt change anything. It shoots great, fits me, and cosistently shoots sub-MOA groups with factory ammo. Another good option is the T/C Venture.

Never owned a Mossberg rifle, but IMO they are better off sticking to shotguns.

http://www.legacysports.com/barreled-actions
Old March 14, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
twins

Quote:
Any experienced opinions pro or con with the Mossberg 4X4 in 25-06?
I have the exact one you mentioned that I bought new 3 years ago. I cussed and fussed with the darn thing till I found a good bullet for it (Berger 115 VLD). It was on the bottom of my shooting list for a while, and now it's one of my favorite rifle to shoot.

Pros:
- Comes with muzzle brake and fluted barrel, not needed for a 25-06, but looks different than other sub-$450 rifles
- Adjustable trigger, very similar to Savage, TC, Marlin, and Remington
- Hardly any recoil due to muzzle brake, good recoil pad, and small caliber

Cons:
- Comes with muzzle brake, people looks and points at the wimp shooting a 25-06 with a muzzle brake
- Darn noisy with that muzzle brake....people at range asked if it's a magnum or something bigger than 25-06
- Plastic stock feels cheaper than competitors

Would I buy it again? Probably not new, but definitely in the used market. There are too many good sub $500 rifles on the market right now.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
natman

It's an OK rifle, a big step above the Remington 770 (not that that's saying much).

The problem is that there are several other rifles with similar prices that are better made. Take a look at:

Marlin X7
Ruger American (not currently available in 25-06)
Savage Axis
Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500
Old March 17, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

Thanks for the replies. I added a T/C Venture and Marlin X7 to shop for. My needs are simple so I suspect any of the two or the Mossberg will work. My LGS says they have a hard time getting the Mossberg, so now they have two other choices.