The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 13, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Jerry45

The "experts" aren't always right. Remmy 30-06

I have a 1970 vintage Remington 700 BDL 30-06. I've hunted with it for years and it's always been a MOA to + MOA shooter. Always thought it was just me. I decide I could make it shoot better. After playing with different loads for 180 and 165 gr. bullets to no avail I deiced a new stock was in order. One week it would shoot 150 FMJBT into a 1/2 hole and the next it was 1 1/2". The "experts" kept telling me 1" to 2" groups out of the old 06 was all that can be expected and that I was wasting time and ammo trying to improve on that.

Well being the stubborn SOB that I am I took the old 06 out of it's original Walnut stock an put it into a laminated thumb-hole stock. I also had a muzzle brake installed. It shot better but still not great. It consistently shot 1 to 1 1/2 but one week it would shoot 1/2" the next 1 1/2". I started thinking perhaps it was just me even though I had shot other rifles a bit better.

I had a custom .308 built (wanted one for a while) on a 700 action and after a little load development realize it wasn't me. With the .308 I could shoot a 1/4" groups, so I was sure it wasn't me. I had tried 180 and 165 gr. hunting grade bullets over the years. After I put it in the Thumb-hole stock I tried the 168 gr. match bullets that the 308 like so much. It hated them!

I hunted a few time with the Thumb-hole and didn't really care for carrying it. It was great off the bench but didn't feel comfortable when carrying. Last month I found and bough a Bell and Carson Medalist stock I though I would like better. (The .308 is in a HEAVY Medalist 5 stock.) I put the old 06 barrel and action in the new stock an torqued it down to 40 In. Lbs.. Couldn't torque it down that tight in the wood stocks. It shot much better than it did in the laminated stock and it felt a lot better. Shot a cold shot... Dead center. Took another cold shot dead center. Took a cold shot... center followed by warm 1/4 right and hot 1/4 low 1/4 left. I was thinking I was on to something. I pulled the brake off and shot two 2 1/2" low 1 1/2 left almost in the same hole. I wrote Bell and Carson asking for their suggested torque. Reply was 50 In. Lbs. It felt so much better in the Bell and Carson I decided to leave the Brake off. I torqued it to the recommended 50 In. Lbs. And cranked the scope up and over. Today I re-zeroed the scope. I took 4 shots with 150 gr. FMJBT. I let it cool then took 2 shots with 150 gr. SPBT. I then let cool again. It/I then shot a 5 shot group every bit as good as the best group the custom .308 has shot. I pulled one 1/4" low left. The other 4 went through the same hole. Seems the "experts" aren't always right.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:16 AM   #2
AR15barrels

The "experts" aren't always right. Remmy 30-06

Take your wood stock and have aluminum pillars installed in it.
Then you CAN torque the screws to 40in-lbs...
Old March 14, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
ndking1126

Your story is very similar to mine. I have a 3006 700 adl. My uncle is the one who introduced me to long range shooting and he had to hammer it into my head that I could shoot the long distances, I just needed a more accurate gun. I didn't believe him at first but after he helped me with trigger work, free floating the barrel, etc I saw group sizes shrink and I gained a ton of confidence shooting longer distances. With 168 GMM I can get groups of a little less than 1in at 100 yards if I do my part.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15barrels
Take your wood stock and have aluminum pillars installed in it.
Then you CAN torque the screws to 40in-lbs...
Yep! I considered pillow blocking and beading it in the original stock but it kicked like a mule (Didn't bother me when I was younger). I didn't like carrying the thumb-hole stock so there was no advantage in putting the time into it. I like the Bell & Carson, it works well off the bench and carries nicely. In this stock I can't even tell the difference if the brake is on or off. I'm now shooting it, again, without a brake. Funny thing though, it's is supposed to weight more, 2 to 4 oz. more than the thumb-hole but it feels 'much" lighter. I'm not concerned enough to weigh them. All I know is now I'm happy that it shoots way better and more consistent then it ever has and others though it could and that my persistence (soberness) paid off. It's always been my favorite and now I can brag abut how good it shoots.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Jerry45

ndking1126, believe me, if you find the right bullet, powder combination and stock it will shoot smaller groups than 1". Mine, over 30 + years shot 1 to 1 1/2". I was satisfied with that for deer/pig hunting. Few years ago I decided I wanted to do some load development and try to make it a tack driver. When it wasn't working out and after hearing for years from all the "experts" how much more accurate .308 was I deiced to have one built. I though that would scratch my itch. 50 rounds of bullet seating depth and load development and it was shooting 1/4" holes. But the 06 itch was still there. Soooooo I kept fiddling with it. I'll probably be fiddling with it until I die. Or I wear it out.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6
RC20

Good go that you improved it to where it does what it should.

One other item to chew on is the sight picture as your eyes get older.

Even with a scope there can be shifts.

We have on scope (Leupold) on a 270 that I litterly cannot get to focus. My other brothers are fine with it, but my eyes hate it.

On the other hand we have re-barreled my dads 1903 sporter, same general era Leupold scope and I can shoot it better than anyone else.

30-06 is one of those inherent accurate rounds. Usually if one won't shoot its something other than the receiver barrel combination.

Some days I get on and do very well (and some shot strings) and then it drifts off. A lot of it is the eyeballs.

Hard part is figuring out where the problem is. Nice to have a go to gun that tells you that you are fine and to look at the other suspects.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Jerry45

From right to left. Sight-in to five shot group. And as usual I pulled one.

This is how it looks with the brake installed. Targets were shot with brake removed.

Old March 15, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
jmr40

The problem was the wood stock, and your results were typical. Even though wood has been perfectly sealed it still retains 10-20% of its weight as moisture trapped inside the wood. As environmental conditions change the moisture in the wood will expand and contract causing different pressure points.

Wood stocks can be accurate, but will never be as consistently accurate as a quality synthetic over changing conditions.