The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Powdersmoke

Frequency of practice

I'm on a limited budget for practice ammo with 2400rds/yr being the max that a 1 income family of 4s budget will stand. That keeps me in shape where I can shoot the LFI qualifier at double speed and score 295-300 out of a possible 300 points. LFI is where I received my most influential training so that's what I use as my yardstick. That said, I've come to think that frequency of practice is as important as volume of practice and that I got slightly more benefit from my 200 rounds a month by shooting them 50 rounds every week rather than all at once once a month. Anyone else have any thoughts on frequency vs volume of practice?
Old March 9, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
ltc444

When I was on a "limited budget" and did not really have a place to shoot. In fact I went for almost 6 months without firing a single round.

I took up archery. I shot in my back yard every day.

When I was able to get back to shooting I found that my scores had improved significantly.

I believe that Pulling the bow strengthened my shooting specific muscles and improved my concentration.

Another method I have used is meditation. I picture the target and mentally move through all of the steps in the shooting process. Bullseye shooters mentally shoot the round before they ever raise the pistol and fire.
Old March 9, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Slopemeno

Dry fire and air pistol.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
shep854

I'm very much in favor of frequent, relatively short sessions. Long sessions can lead to sloppy, wasteful shooting.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5
MrBorland

Yep - gotta go with the recommendations so far - dry fire, air pistol (airsoft), visualization, and shorter, more focused range visits. Be sure your live fire practice is quality practice: Have a plan about how to shoot those rounds, then execute well.

Consider getting a .22LR "understudy", too. Or maybe consider reloading, if you don't already.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Slotback

Short sessions and lots of dry fire for me.
Old March 9, 2013, 10:40 PM   #7
shep854

I can't help but wonder if the soaring cost of ammo is making for better shooters as they have less ammo to just burn and are forced to shoot more carefully.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:56 AM   #8
MarkDozier

Lots of dry fire

"shooting them 50 rounds every week rather than all at once once a month. Anyone else have any thoughts on frequency vs volume of practice?"
You are right. short correct pracitse sessions does more then once a month blow throught ammo sessions.

Did I mention DRY FIRE..
Old March 11, 2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Have you ever considered a tactical dry run using an unloaded weapon?

Normal target practice at the range is fine, but i wonder how many people prepare for a self defense scenario.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Wreck-n-Crew

Sorry i could have been more organized with my words on that post
Old March 11, 2013, 03:31 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot every weekend. I am luck to have a wonderful understanding wife that lets me go have my day, and many times actualy comes with me, and shoots as well. We do not have any children so there is no family neglected on that part. I have limited funds, and ton of bills to pay. I cut cost where I can. I cast lead, and reload most of my practice ammo. I pay for a yearly membership at the range.

When funds were even tighter, and I lived too far from the range to grequent it as much as I do now. I shot air rifle, and archery. I also did draw, and fire practice with an air pistol that is the same size, and shape as the gun that I carried at that time.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:05 PM   #12
KCampbell

Short sessions pretty much every weekend.Before the panic 3 or 4 hours on a Sat was normal for us.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:09 PM   #13
manta49

Depends what you are training for. I would what i could afford and enjoy i wouldn't worry if it was once a year.

Last edited by manta49; March 11, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Powdersmoke

I do alot of practice drawing from concealment without ever firing a shot. During live fire practice I only draw from the holster every 2, 3, or 5 shots depending on which of my training courses of fire I'm shooting and that's just not enough repetitions.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:12 PM   #15
sunaj

I don't think you can really be proficient with a pistol without regular weekly practise, much more to be truly a pro
Old March 11, 2013, 08:27 PM   #16
kutz

Weather permiting at least weekly
Old March 11, 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
FireForged

I practice with my pistol once every 3 months and practice with my carbine once every 6 months. I dont know about the rest but I do not become a goofball in between range sessions. I gained my primary skills back in the 1980's and all the rest is just maintenance. I do not shoot IDPA and do not believe IDPA is combat training. I would only train more than I do if I were going to shoot competitive.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Vermonter

My viewpoint.

Weekly Practice with live rounds no matter what the round cound is better than monthly practice that would amount to that same round cound. If thats 200 a month or 50 a week I will take 50 a week any day.

Presentations from the holster can be done at home
Dry fire canbe done at home.
Reading can be done at home
Watching traiing videow can be done at home
Air pistol can be done at home

Repitition is the only real way to develop muscle memory. The bottom line here is 30 days is too much downtme. Then again 12 Range trips a year are better than 6. 52 Beats 12 by an aweful lot imho.

Regards, Vermonter
Old March 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #19
breakingcontact

Re: Frequency of practice

I look at a target or sight picture on my computer background at work.

Dry fire in the bathroom or garage. (Ammo in different space plus no one around).

I am considering getting on of those laser training deals I saw in some catalog. Need to make a post about them to hear if they are good.

I actually go to the range probably once a month on average and shoot 200-300 rounds.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #20
kirbinster

I've got a SIRT laser trainer and like it. It has helped me improve. I've got the one with two lasers: one for the trigger break and one that shows point of impact. I find the trigger break one useless.