The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 17, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

Not so point and shoot

I recently picked up a Mossberg 702 Plinkster, and it's a nice gun for the price. It jams sometimes by not cycling forward all the way sometimes. Think it needs a heavier recoil spring or something. Anyway, I picked it up because when I put it to my shoulder, it was so point able. It felt amazing to me. So I brought it home, and have brought it to the range a few times since. I then put a scope that I had had on another .22 that kept its zero real good, and couldn't seem to shoot less than 2 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. That works out to be about 5 M.O.A. right? That's TERRIBLE!!! it's not the scope, because it worked very well on another gun. What could it be?

I clean my guns very well, and clean the barrels well, so it's not because it's dirty.

I have used 3 types of ammo, Winchester Super X, Remington Golden Bullets, and Federal Premiums, and the groups stay pretty consistent, except it jammed a lot with the Remington's.

Is there anything I can do to improve the accuracy?

I bought it from cabelas in August, so I don't know about a warranty.

Is there ANYTHING?

Thank You,
Ken B.

He granted it.

Last edited by F23Blackwidow2; March 17, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Mr.Scott

What ammo are you using? I have one of these and it's been flawless.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:13 PM   #3
F23Blackwidow2

I believe that was mentioned in the original post

He granted it.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4
scrubcedar

I can't speak to the jamming other than maybe looking hard at the magazine as the cause.
I do know however it's not that unusual to have a .22lr be picky about ammo sometimes 6 or 7 varieties need to be tried.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5
chris in va

I bought one of those from WalMart along with two spare mags about five years ago.

It did nothing but jam at the range. Cleaned it, oiled it...no change. Even jammed on the spare mags. I took it back and all WalMart would do is send it back to Mossberg. A month went by and still no rifle. I had to speak with the store manager in a rather elevated tone before they finally conceded to give my money back.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
F23Blackwidow2

I have always figured I should sell it, but always figured I would regret it, cause it is my 1st gun, but I think that if I sell it, I will buy a Savage M93R17, becuase the range on the 17 HMR is fantastic, and with the accuracy it brings to the table, you could really shoot a dime at 100 yards. I'll eventually buy a 10/22, which I should have bought in the first place...

Ah, the stupidity of youth.

Thank You,
Ken B.

He granted it.