The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
LikesGlock

S&W 386 Sc/S for $600?

My local shop has a really clean 386 but I wanted to consult the forum before I make the decision. It feels really nice in hand thats for sure!
I did some google searching but didn't come up with many real users reviews about the gun. Anybody have experience with one and care to share your thoughts? Seems like a fair price if the gun is all there.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
carguychris

The reason you won't find many reviews is that IIRC the Model 386 Sc/S was sold in 2007 only, and was not very popular by most accounts.

It's similar to the later M386 Night Guard, except it has a red ramp front sight, fully adjustable rear sight, and a Hogue grip rather than a tritium front night sight, C&S Extreme Duty rear sight, and a Pachmayr grip. Both guns have a scandium-aluminum alloy frame with a stainless steel cylinder and are finished in matte black.

The main caveat with this gun- as with any small or medium-sized alloy-frame S&W- is that it may not be particularly comfortable to shoot when loaded with full-power Magnums. It should withstand them just fine, but your hand might not.

$600 sounds like a good deal if the gun is in 90%+ condition. If the gun is 98%+ and comes with the box and papers, it's a steal, and you should RUN, not walk, back to that shop. OTOH if it's less than 90%, I would pass and/or try to talk them down.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
WC145

If it's in good shape I'd be interested for that money.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old March 16, 2013, 09:19 AM   #4
LikesGlock

Thanks Chris that was hugely helpful. I think you made up my mind for me