The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #26
kirbinster

My Glock G22 Gen4 has not had a single failure with .40 cal ammo. I say that because I have a 9mm conversion barrel for it. I would say I was getting about 30% failures with 9mm. After some research I bought a G17 recoil spring, which in the gen4 but not the gen3 is different than the one for the G22. I now use that spring with the conversion barrel and have not had a single failure.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:47 AM   #27
Will Beararms

I can do a break in period depending upon the handgun if it is required by the manufacturer. After that, no Stovepipes/FTE's are acceptable in a pistol designated for self defense. Yes you may see something after say 3,000 rounds when the recoil spring assembly starts to weaken but within the first 3,000, I say the only acceptable rate is zero.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:27 PM   #28
MercyfulFate

Shot 75 rounds approximately through my 92fs, no jams, stovepipes or anything. It functioned flawlessly, even with a brand new shooter. Bad ammo was most assuredly the cause of my previous issues.

Did have one FTF on my shotgun though, something was wrong with the shell. It had the indent and was struck so I tried it again, click and another dent, no fire. Every other round worked perfectly, so once again, bad ammo I'm assuming.

Things like that are why I'm baffled that people never have a FTE/FTF, as I've had several I'm confident were all bad ammo and beyond my control.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #29
rocket12

"stovepipes" are no big deal can be cleared in a split second. more ammo related than anything else
Old March 18, 2013, 04:47 PM   #30
AK103K

I notice I start getting stovepipes and feeding issues with increasing frequency as my reloads start getting worn out. The rims get chewed up over time, and that seems to be the main cause of the problem. The extractors dont always get a good hold on the rim during extraction.

Right around that same time, I also start seeing an increasing number of split cases as Im reloading them. Both those factors usually indicate its time to just dump the whole lot and and get another lot of 1000 once fired brass.

One advantage to it though, its good practice for failure drills that are random and not planned or set up. It just makes for more realistic practice.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old March 19, 2013, 05:47 PM   #31
Ozzieman

Colt Gold Cup, owned since 1980 and shoot 1000 per year est. 3 failures in one day caused by dropped Magazine.
Kimber Royal carry new. 1000+ no failures.
Beretta Cougar 9mm Again 1000 per year est. 10 years, 0 failures.
Colt Ace, Common failures with cheep low velocity 22 LR.
Ruger MKII, 2 to 3000 est. 0 failures even with cheep bulk.
Glock 26. Initially several failures. After + 5 magazines 0 failures +3000 rounds. I was shooting reloads that were light so I don’t blame the G.
I could to on but all of my semi’s are of a good quality and all have had the same history.
I have actually had more problems with revolvers (Taurus) than semi autos.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old March 19, 2013, 07:39 PM   #32
donato

Once owned a CZ 75 P-01. From new, right out of the box, it never had any failures in 3000 rounds. And, I shot all sorts/brands of ammo (Factory only) though it.

My SR9c hasn't had a failure in at least 3000 rounds now. Ruger did fix a light strike problem that developed at about 2500 rounds. But, no problems since (In 3000+ rnds).
Old March 19, 2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Darker Loaf

After around 9,000 or so rounds in my XD, when I'd run +P through it, I'd have a FTE, and then that FTE would cause a double feed. It was weird, I could shake the round out of the chamber pretty easily, but it did that consistently. It did not do this with regular pressure ammo. I showed my gun to my gunsmith one lucky day at the range and he checked the extractor: no problems there.

He said my guide rod could be worn out, and true enough, it was really pretty easy to rack the slide when compared to a new XD (I had just bought my dad a new XD 4" like mine and it was much harder to rack). Fortunately, I had a couple of solid guide rods and a spring set from Wolff that I'd been using, and sure enough when I swapped out the old factory guide rod and used a fresh spring, I had no problems.

Other than that consistent failure brought about by mechanical failure (wearing my gun out through use), I've had around 3 FTE's total in my XD. That was usually after 1,000 or more rounds of dirty ammunition OR overlubing my pistol after cleaning and shooting dirty ammunition. If I keep my gun fairly dry (not completely) and clean it every couple hundred rounds, it runs 100%.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:06 PM   #34
Darker Loaf

With a Kahr CW9, I had many FTE and FTFeed, especially during the break-in period and some after. Also, Golden Sabers would cause the magazine to "lock" because of their square-nosed design, over-all length, and what I believe is a short magazine in the Kahr series. I put around 800 to 1000 rounds through it before I sold it.

My Kahr K9 Elite, on the other hand, has never experienced any malfunction, but the guide rod seemed to get pretty badly chipped out after 200-300 rounds. I've got a new one in; we'll see if it stays relatively intact. I've only put perhaps 600 to 800 rounds through that gun so far though.

Oh yeah, I owned an EAA Match Witness in 10mm Auto that FTE/FTFeed'd like 2-4 time out of every 15 round magazine. I sent it back to the factory and even had it "fixed" with no change in results. I probably should have tried hot/full-house 10mm, but did not want to mess around wasting yet more money on the gun to find the right, super-expensive 10mm ammo.

Almost every type of gun and almost every gun I've ever shot has experienced some kind of malfuction, even Glocks (in my case a G34). Either I am cursed (which some say), or guns are finicky, wily creatures like the fairer sex.

And with .22 LR autoloading handguns, my list of FTE, FTFeed/Fire is beyond my counting. I've shot untold 10,000's of rounds through a Hi-Standard, Beretta Neos, a Buck Mark, a Sig Mosquito, and Rugers of all stripes. I fired my Buck Mark to the point where pieces of it literally fell off (though sadly it was probably the best of the bunch). I've also had enough of these failures that I almost wrote off owning a .22 LR Pistol or autoloader of any stripe. Now I have a 22/45 and a 10/22 and these are the only .22 LR autoloaders I will ever buy [crosses his fingers and knocks on wood]. If they don't run on me (like they often haven't), I'm going to just take the trip of shame back to the gunsmith like usual and pay up to get my sorry, unreliable guns back online.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:12 PM   #35
RamItOne

only one stovepipe comes to mind, a few failure to fires (only on the S&W BG .380 w/ crap ammo), one fail to feed (3 month dirty 1911 not lubed before shooting) so all that with maybe 15,000 rounds, 20K if you include rifles

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old March 19, 2013, 08:22 PM   #36
Darker Loaf

For me: Common

I should have answered the question directly. For me and from my experience: common. Problems are common. Heck, I've even had two failure to fires out of two different handguns firing at the same time: my XD and a PPQ (American Eagle Brass 9mm: hard primers?) fired one in each hand as close to simultaneously as I could muster.

I think often people don't recognize a failure or don't shoot their guns often enough for them to occur. Also, not cleaning your guns tends to cause failures. If I leave any of my guns unclean after multiple long shooting sessions (which is my typical behavior), failures can arise.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:36 PM   #37
AK103K

Quote:
Also, not cleaning your guns tends to cause failures. If I leave any of my guns unclean after multiple long shooting sessions (which is my typical behavior), failures can arise.
Perhaps they are telling you something.

.22's are particularly susceptible to failures due to being dirty. Ive owned a bunch of them over the years, of all makes and price ranges, and all of them got grumpy as they got dirty, and it doesnt take much either.

Zeitgeist - The Movie